Black A-MAX vs Match ELD-M Factory Loads

Antares

WKR
Has anyone shot a lot of the 308 Win Hornady Black 168 A-MAX and the Match 168 ELD-M factory loads? If so, what was the precision like between the two?

As far as I know, the A-MAX and the ELD-M exhibit pretty similar terminal performance. The A-MAX load is readily available, relatively cheap, and shoots well in my Tikka. The ELD-M is harder for me to find. I'm just wondering how much more effort Hornady puts into the Match line as far as making them consistent vs. the Black line. Has anyone seen a noticeable improvement in precision out of the Match line vs the Black line? I know everyones barrel like different loads... just curious if anyone has any experience to share. Doesn't have to be 308 Win either. If you compared the two in a different cartridge, I'd be interested to her about that too. Thanks.

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
Don’t know for 308, but my 6.5 creed and Grendel shoot them both to same point out to 600 or so.

So you're saying you didn't see any zero shift or velocity difference between the two loads, correct? Did you notice any difference in group size?

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Ryan Avery tested the a max a couple years ago and didn't have very good results. The eld m is a really good bullet on game though.

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
Ryan Avery tested the a max a couple years ago and didn't have very good results. The eld m is a really good bullet on game though.

They're functionally the same bullet as far as I can tell. My question is more about observed differences in the consistency of the factory loads (Black line vs Match line) than the bullet construction. Thanks though.

So you're saying you didn't see any zero shift or velocity difference between the two loads, correct? Did you notice any difference in group size?
In my rifles, with different ammo, no discernible difference for velocity, group size, or point of impact. Just a different color box.

Your not going to know till you try in your rifle.
Hornady says there is 1.8 difference in drop on paper at 500 due to advertised BC difference.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Has anyone shot a lot of the 308 Win Hornady Black 168 A-MAX and the Match 168 ELD-M factory loads? If so, what was the precision like between the two?

As far as I know, the A-MAX and the ELD-M exhibit pretty similar terminal performance. The A-MAX load is readily available, relatively cheap, and shoots well in my Tikka. The ELD-M is harder for me to find. I'm just wondering how much more effort Hornady puts into the Match line as far as making them consistent vs. the Black line. Has anyone seen a noticeable improvement in precision out of the Match line vs the Black line? I know everyones barrel like different loads... just curious if anyone has any experience to share. Doesn't have to be 308 Win either. If you compared the two in a different cartridge, I'd be interested to her about that too. Thanks.

They’re basically 1-for-1. No noticeable difference between than other than normal POI shifts between lot numbers.

Hornady black from the 308 test rifle, 10 rounds 100 yards-CCB1DA15-9013-4D31-9866-05DE865B23DA.jpeg

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
They’re basically 1-for-1. No noticeable difference between than other than normal POI shifts between lot numbers.

Hornady black from the 308 test rifle, 10 rounds 100 yards-View attachment 466789

Thanks Form, I appreciate the input. Your note on the target says "Black ELD-M." Is that correct? Or was it Black A-MAX?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thanks Form, I appreciate the input. Your note on the target says "Black ELD-M." Is that correct? Or was it Black A-MAX?

Just went and looked. There is one box of ELD-M, rest are Amax’s. 🤷. They shoot identically.

Bluumoon

WKR
Form, I've seen you mention the heavier .308 eldm being good to go for large game, does the same hold true for the 168 gr eldm? Down to 1800fps?