Black bear shot placement

Hey guys, heading to the Bob in September on elk/deer/black bear combo hunt. I've never shot a bear before, and I'm hoping you can provide tips on the best shot placement for broadside/quartering away/quartering to. I am using a .308 with 180 grain Federal TBT. From what I've seen elsewhere, it is similar to deer/elk, but slightly further back than the point of the shoulder or just behind the shoulder.

Spoonman

WKR
You’ll hear a bunch of different responses on this. Middle of the middle is a hard one for a lot of people to understand and also has more room for error in my opinion(easy to hit too far back). For me I really don’t like losing meat so I’m not a huge fan of shoulder shots but in some cases it may be needed to drop em where they stand. I’ve shot all my bear behind the shoulder and they have all ended up in the freezer. Some blood trails worse than others but it’s worked for me. Also bear will make you question stuff some times. Some eat bullets for breakfast and go a ways and other fall right over on marginally placed shots.

jaslam

FNG
I go for high shoulders with the intention to break bones. Hoping to reduce the tracking effort that way. So far been working ok.

Lowg08

WKR
For no second guessing head shot. BUT behind the shoulder just a bit further back than a deer. Quartering away with the shot side leg forward is what I consider a best case scenario in my opinion.

rclouse79

WKR
You are a smart man to be researching this now. I mistakenly thought right behind the shoulder was the best shot on all animals. My first shot went in right behind the shoulder and clipped the off shoulder. I had to make a follow up shot at a standing bear at close range. It got my heart going and is a memory I will not soon forget, but in the future I will strive to dump them in their tracks. I think my new plan will be to aim directly between the middle of middle and the back of the front shoulder.

I've never shot one with a rifle, but for those considering using a bow, middle of the middle has worked extremely well for me twice. Both times, I had to consciously aim further back and as soon as the arrow hit, I thought "f@$&, I just gut shot it". Both times the bear ran 20 yards and died in a few seconds. It works well on my small sample size. I can't say I'd do that shot placement with a rifle though, just because broadheads kill differently that bullets.

My experience...........more bears are lost due to being hit too far forward then back. From an archery point of view, I like to aim a hand width back off the crease on a broadside shot slightly lower than mid body up and down.

Have fun, good luck!

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Thank you for all the responses guys. I appreciate ALL the feedback. I'm hoping for a quartering away shot where I can simply let the near leg clearn and line up on the far leg, similar to my ideal bow shot on a whitetail. In that position, a well placed bullet should hook both lungs and smash the far shoulder. However, I want to be prepared for a straight up broadside opportunity as well.

Thank you also for the guidance on neck/head shots, but I am not confident in my ability to hit such a reduced target, plus if I'm fortunate to take a bear, I plan to preserve the skull.

Now the final question... Is it worth the risk to take a quartering to or straight on shot? Again, I'm not excited about wounding and potentially losing a bear or any animal for that matter.

Lowg08

WKR
I’m not a big fan of quartering to or straight on shots. I would rather wait myself. That is just me. A half dead or injured bear can be very dangerous.

JNDEER

WKR
I think it was on this site- but while back on some forum there was a great thread by a bear guide in CA or BC and he said middle of the middle with way more bear data kills than I will have in my lifetime.