Black Diamond Icon 500 headlamp

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
The first week of June, myself and a group of awesome people will be tackling a 60 mile through hike in Oregon. We are planning on hiking straight through and no camping. I immediately thought about a light source for the night portion. I knew I was going to want something bright with a long run time. I didn't want to be swapping batteries throughout the night.

Kendall at Black Ovis had the answer. I haven't played with it much other than turning it on, putting it in the closet and checking it once a day. 96 hours we still had a glimmer of light!

Stay tuned as I take this bad boy on some sweet adventures.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
96 hours is four day 'n nights straight. Nice!

So 60 miles, no sleep? So like a 30 hour hike? I'm getting old just thinking about it. (and now my knee hurts)

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
96 hours is four day 'n nights straight. Nice!

So 60 miles, no sleep? So like a 30 hour hike? I'm getting old just thinking about it. (and now my knee hurts)

Yep, 30 hour hike....I am trying to not think about it too much, lol!

The battery pack on the back of my head took me some getting used to, but this thing is the bees knees...bright AF, it’s my go to for early mornings in duck boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravisIN

WKR
I just got one in today. Super bright for sure. How have you liked yours. Picked it up on a whim, stumbled across it on eBay for a steal.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just got one in today. Super bright for sure. How have you liked yours. Picked it up on a whim, stumbled across it on eBay for a steal.

I got some good use with this headlamp this last weekend. 12:00AM - 5:00AM hiking plus camp stuff the next night. Worked really well. Zero issues with it.

TravisIN

WKR
So I’ve got to compare this to my BD Spot headlamp that is rated at 300 lumens. It runs on 3aaa batteries. And I’m gonna be honest, it last not noticeably brighter. So I’m not sure this makes a difference or not, my spot has lithium batteries and the standard Duracell’s that came with it. Both sets of batteries were brand new, but maybe it is the batteries. The spot is almost 2 years old and this one is brand new. I would think the 4 as battery set up would outlast the 3 aaa. As of now I’ll be rolling with the spot until I test them with the same batteries.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I’ve got to compare this to my BD Spot headlamp that is rated at 300 lumens. It runs on 3aaa batteries. And I’m gonna be honest, it last not noticeably brighter. So I’m not sure this makes a difference or not, my spot has lithium batteries and the standard Duracell’s that came with it. Both sets of batteries were brand new, but maybe it is the batteries. The spot is almost 2 years old and this one is brand new. I would think the 4 as battery set up would outlast the 3 aaa. As of now I’ll be rolling with the spot until I test them with the same batteries.

In my past experience with headlamps, lithuim vs standard alkaline absolutely effected the brightness. If comparing to your spot, you should keep in mind that they may have different beam shapes, that could play into one appearing brighter than the other.

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Brock what setting is this 96 hrs achieved on? Which bulb and what power? I know it has a proximity bulb as well as the center beam style bulb. Also Lithium or Alkaline?

I’m looking to possibly replace a older Storm so this may be a good option.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brock what setting is this 96 hrs achieved on? Which bulb and what power? I know it has a proximity bulb as well as the center beam style bulb. Also Lithium or Alkaline?

I’m looking to possibly replace a older Storm so this may be a good option.

Proximity setting and with alkaline batteries. I will say that the light was barley on at 96 hours. But being in a dark closet you could see a glimmer. You would definitely change batteries sooner.

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Proximity setting and with alkaline batteries. I will say that the light was barley on at 96 hours. But being in a dark closet you could see a glimmer. You would definitely change batteries sooner.

Thanks much, I’m strongly considering a Zebralight. I go through more batteries during hunting season than I care to mention and the 18650 may be best for me.

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
Great review. Is there a lock on the switch? If not, will it get turned on by accident?

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great review. Is there a lock on the switch? If not, will it get turned on by accident?
Yep, there is a lock. If you hold the power button for like 7 or 8 seconds you get a rapid blue blinking light for a short burst. It's locked! Do the same to unlock.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
put the alkalines in your remote :)

I run headlamps year round and haven't run alkaline batteries in years- lithiums last longer, operate in the cold, weigh ~ 35% lighter and won't ruin your lamps by melting down

I've run several iterations of the Spot (about every two years they improve on the model) and the newest version (325 lumens, IPX8 rated) is my current go to lamp-weighs 2.5 oz with lithium batteries- light enough that I simply carry two when I know I'm going to be doing a lot of night work

there are a few times where a little brighter lamp and/or longer run time would be welcomed and can see the Icon fitting that role nicely :)

thanks for the review!

Full disclosure, I am a flashoholic. I collect flashlights and spend an inordinate amount of time reading about them and a disturbing amount of money buying them.

Please do not use alkaline batteries in anything important. Lithium primaries or Lithium-Ion rechargeables only in any battery operated device that you value.

I like 18650 headlamps, normally Zebralight. This one is 1600 lumens on high and is high CRI, so colors appear properly. Low lasts from 17 days to 4 months, depending on how you configure it.

H600d MkIV 18650 High-CRI

18650 cells can pack over 3500 amp hours (10 watt hours or about equal to 4 rechargeable AAs) , don't leak, and are available all over the place (especially since the rise of vaping). I like the ZL because they are very robust, efficient, super compact/lightweight, and have awesomely low moonlight modes. Lots of choices on beam shape as well. No red led is a drawback, but the low setting is so low it helps maintain night vision. Pros outweigh cons for my needs.