Black Hills vs Nebraska Mule Deer Hunting

I’ve never hunted out west, and would like to start with a non guided mule deer hunt in 2020. I’m limited on vacation time so want to spend as little time driving as possible. I’ll be leaving from Indiana.

Anyone with experience or knowledge hunting them in the black hills or Nebraska? Hoping to get drawn first turn, is that possible?

open to ideas and advise.

OP
Moorebarbell
That draw info looks like everyone who applied was successful... ????

Attachments

• 80BAF6BE-AAF5-4992-9007-C2F10B7E56A6.jpeg
    80BAF6BE-AAF5-4992-9007-C2F10B7E56A6.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 153
Even if you had the points I'd hunt west river for mule deer long before the black hills. The hills is loaded with deer but you'll probably see 100 whitetails to one muley. Sandhills of nebraska is where I'd be looking .... sees plenty of pressure but I have buddies that fill tags there every year

OP
Moorebarbell
I have looked into the Sandhills, but good to hear something from someone that has heard from successful hunters out there.

rhusby28

Lil-Rokslider
As a resident of SD getting a rifle Mule Deer tag (Any Deer tag) is almost impossible even with years and years of preference points. Even with an archery tag there are far better places to hunt Mule Deer. I have no knowledge about Nebraska.

OP
Moorebarbell
I know there are definitely better spots, but I’d enjoy the adventure in the Black Hills. I’ve never been there and look forward to seeing it’s beauty.

jmez

WKR
Not many mule deer in the Black Hills. You would want to hunt the prairie.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
As a resident of SD getting a rifle Mule Deer tag (Any Deer tag) is almost impossible even with years and years of preference points. Even with an archery tag there are far better places to hunt Mule Deer. I have no knowledge about Nebraska.

It has been about every other year for me and the couple guys i hunt with for a nr i could see the years and years maybe playing true

rhusby28

Lil-Rokslider
It has been about every other year for me and the couple guys i hunt with for a nr i could see the years and years maybe playing true
You are getting a Black Hills Any Deer tag every other year? I’m confused, or you must be a land owner?

Fatcamp

WKR
You are getting a Black Hills Any Deer tag every other year? I’m confused, or you must be a land owner?
He is talking about West River tags which do make more sense than BH. Still gonna take some points. Like KurtR we average about every other year as residents.

rhusby28

Lil-Rokslider
He is talking about West River tags which do make more sense than BH. Still gonna take some points. Like KurtR we average about every other year as residents.
Moorebarbell asked about Black Hills and Nebraska, but I can see the confusion if he didn’t read all the posts. I’ve done before myself. Only select amount of Counties are people drawing an Any Deer tag every other year. It takes me 3-5 years to draw my preferred Any Deer tag West River. Black Hills Whitetail you can draw every other. Even Whitetail tags in some West River counties are taking preference points.

OP: If you just want the adventure of the BH"s and aren't all that concerned about mule deer, you could much easier draw a WT only tag and have the same hunt. You'll lilkely see alot of deer. You can hunt the Wyo side pretty easily also or jump up to eastern Montana and do a WIA/Block Mgmt hunt.

lots of good public land options in this region.

Fatcamp

WKR
Moorebarbell asked about Black Hills and Nebraska, but I can see the confusion if he didn’t read all the posts. I’ve done before myself. Only select amount of Counties are people drawing an Any Deer tag every other year. It takes me 3-5 years to draw my preferred Any Deer tag West River. Black Hills Whitetail you can draw every other. Even Whitetail tags in some West River counties are taking preference points.

All true. Now that I am done with school we will need to rethink our strategy. More time=more options. :)

OP
Moorebarbell
Thanks for all the comments and help. I’ll be traveling to Nebraska for a fun hunt with my cousin in November.

KurtR

WKR

ya I was talking west river. Now that they messed the draw system up for the whiners I think it might change but who knows how