Black Ovis Merino Wool Baselayers

Ladsontr

FNG
For the guys that run black ovis baselayers how do they compare to first lite and kiui? What pieces are you using for whitetail hunting November through January?

ILIKEGEAR

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
They are a good budget merino. You get what you pay for in that they are more scratchy and pill more. We do a review + raffle on base layers and put First Lite at the highest, with KUIU's new Ultra Merino being a good lighter option. If you're just whitetail hunting, packability, smell, dry time and weight probably aren't as big of a deal as a 10 day backcountry hunt, so the cheaper black ovis may be the way to go in that scenario. Especially when its on sale on Camofire.

OP
L

Ladsontr

FNG
They are a good budget merino. You get what you pay for in that they are more scratchy and pill more. We do a review + raffle on base layers and put First Lite at the highest, with KUIU's new Ultra Merino being a good lighter option. If you're just whitetail hunting, packability, smell, dry time and weight probably aren't as big of a deal as a 10 day backcountry hunt, so the cheaper black ovis may be the way to go in that scenario. Especially when its on sale on Camofire.
What are your favorite KUIU pieces?

H80Hunter

WKR
The black Ovis runs really small. I wear an XL for first lite and it’s like basically normal t-shirt fit. I sized up to XXL for a black Ovis merino T and it fits like a tight, bordering on compression, fit. Seems decent enough though and it’s fine for a base layer.

Bump79

WKR
I'll echo the above sentiments. I like the blend with polyester on the 150 but it does pill more. I prefer my 150 gsm full merino but it doesn't dry as fast.

I love their 150 hooded base layer. Retired my FL wick, just waiting on black ovis to get more in stock. It’ll be my first layer from early season backpacking through late winter.

Definitely size up like mentioned earlier.

Awhile back BO had their 150g SS shirts on sale on Camofire for $30 a piece. Imo they are a great shirt at that price. The scratchiness dissipates after a wash or two. They do run small. I own several pairs with their Burnt Olive color scheme working great with Kuiu’s Verde camo pattern and Kodiak color pairing well with Valo.

Compared to $50 - $70 (brand depending) they are worth it. Considering it’s a hunting shirt that’s prone to blood, tears (non facial kind unless you missed the deer of a lifetime), sweat, campfire smoke/embers etc…it’s a base layer that works. I’d put your money elsewhere on a different piece of gear like a Kuiu Axis Hybrid Jacket or a 97 Fleece or Crispi Boots or a Kifaru or EMG pack.

SMOKYMTN

WKR
If you aren't a color snob, Mustang Survival has a killer deal on their merino/poly baselayer shirts.

sndmn11

WKR
That Keele hoody is amazing. I have at least ten merino long sleeve pieces and that one is shocking how warm it is relative to kiln/furnace and other 250-300wt pieces.

I have quite a bit of Black Ovis merino. All has held up very well. Their merino boxers are all I wear now. Wear the short sleeve and long sleeve shirts on an almost daily basis mainly winter time. Watch Camofire and you can get some good deals there. Usually 3-4 times a year I'd say.

manitou1

WKR
The black Ovis runs really small. I wear an XL for first lite and it’s like basically normal t-shirt fit. I sized up to XXL for a black Ovis merino T and it fits like a tight, bordering on compression, fit. Seems decent enough though and it’s fine for a base layer.
Man, I am 6'3", 215 lbs and I bought the XXL to allow for any shrinkage so that I don't have to worry about washing/drying. It was Yuuuge on me when I purchased.
I do like the BO merino for it's value, but have used it for about five seasons and find it comfy and durable. I do have multiple sets so this may be addinging to longevity. Probably hunted/scouted in some items over 60 days last year.
Have other brands as well, but BO is my go to as it is what I have the most of... and I just plain like it.