BLACKHAWK DOWN! Navigation & Hydration: Lessons Learned

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
BLACKHAWK DOWN! (not the movie) Navigation & Hydration: Personal Lessons Learned

This is not about the movie.

Preamble: I made bad decisions in the planning and execution of this experience. I let my ambition fog my judgment. Yes, it's embarrassing and I'm ashamed because it endangered the life of a family member. I am aware and I own it, thank you for not rubbing it in. However, I hope you can learn something from my experience.

Background: Back in late Jan./early Feb. or so, my wife set dates for her and the kids to go home to visit family. Their trip left my four days off over Independence Day wide open. So naturally, I began planning a trip into the back country. It was going to be a scouting/fishing/adventure trip. At the time, my battle buddy (MANCHOWDER - coworker, friend and hunting partner) was scheduled for a deployment and I knew better than to make the trip by myself, so I called a long time buddy from home (CAVE), who agreed to attend the trip. CAVE and I are 28. Well, a couple months later, my Father-In-Law (BLACKHAWK, 55 y/o) voiced his interest and availability to attend and I did not turn him down. We actually get along great, he is one of my best friends. He has hunted here in CO and spent time in the high country before and is in great shape. But, he's from flat land in the midwest. Then, MANCHOWDER's deployment got cancelled... so we were going in as a full fire team, except MANCHOWDER was coming in a day late and would meet us at our predetermined rendezvous almost 9 miles in one way.

Day 1, 3 July
Trailhead: BLACKHAWK, CAVE and I were anxious to hit the trail. After I got off work, we headed out and were on our way down the trail by 2030.

Mistake 1: I consciously decided NOT to take a map. I had a GPS but the map card isn't working so I was only using it to mark way points. I had poured over maps, trail information and Google Earth so much I was confident in my navigation ability. Nine miles in sounds like a lot, and it is, but the context of the area prevented actually getting lost.

Detour: At about 2230, we should have reached a particular trail junction, but we passed it because: 1) I did not readily remember the distance to the junction and 2) it was dark so we did not see the sign. We should have set up camp at around midnight about half way in, but we ended up having to backtrack 1 mile (2 mile detour). The backtrack killed morale and was exhausting. We set up camp at 0030 a total of about 2 miles from the trail head.

Day 2, 4 July
Morning: Shortly after waking up, BLACKHAWK had diarrhea. Because of that and the late night, we took our time getting around. We got back on the trail at about 1000.

Mistake 2: BLACKHAWK did not take enough time to rehydrate and CAVE and I didn't even think about him being dehydrated. If you get diarrhea on a venture like this, give yourself PLENTY of time to rehydrate. We now know diarrhea is the number one cause of dehydration, and we all know our bodies require even more hydration when backpacking in elevation.

Afternoon: We reached a major landmark at around 1400. Here, BLACKHAWK explained he could not go any further, his feet were in bad shape (no blisters, just hot spots and soreness). CAVE and I neither tried to dissuade this decision nor complained, we decided to enjoy where we were and fish a nearby stream with BLACKHAWK after taking naps. After naps, BLACKHAWK was fishing down the trail and encountered another hiker. The nap refreshed him and the hiker energized his spirits by explaining the destination was a mere 1.5 to 2 miles away. We knew there were two good inclines before the destination, but later learned it was 3.5 miles and the inclines were worse than anticipated.

Mistake 3: It was easy to look down the trail and realize 1.5 to 2 miles was a conservative estimate. CAVE and I, being almost half the age of BLACKHAWK, should have recognized the situation and denied the last leg of the trek until morning.

Evening: It was nearing dark, about 1930 on an east slope. BLACKHAWK was exhausted, but determined to make the destination. He had made it up one of the inclines. I told him to sit tight while CAVE and I finished the trek, which was basically a half mile scramble up. CAVE would set camp and I would come back for BLACKHAWK's pack so he could simply walk in. CAVE had to stop to relieve himself so I just dropped my pack there and went back for BLACKHAWK. When I got there... BLACKHAWK DOWN! He was profusely vomiting.

Nightfall: I walked BLACKHAWK off the rock ledge he was sitting on about 30 yards down to a relatively flat spot. I sat him up next to his pack while I ran, literlly ran, to go get CAVE and my gear. Upon returning, BLACKHAWK was shaking, almost convulsively, from cramps and chills. CAVE and I both have military experience and combat lifesaver training, but CAVE is also in the medical field. Without so much as a thought or question, our training took over. At this point, we finally started making good decisions.

BLACKHAWK was fully coherent, but the cramps were extremely painful. Never in my life have I seen such severe dehydration and cramping. CAVE gathered wood and built a fire, which was challenging due to 20 minutes of rain less than an hour earlier. I set up the shelter and warmed some water with energy powder in it for BLACKHAWK. We got BLACKHAWK sipping water and began conversing about the situation. The latest information I had from MANCHOWDER was that he was aiming to meet us at the rendezvous between 0100-0300. He was making a 9 mile bonzai hike so he could be there to rest a little then fish with us at first light.

We knew the trip was over already, we had to get BLACKHAWK up and off the mountain. We had to try to get BLACKHAWK in a good enough condition to walk out. We intended to divvy out his gear between CAVE, MANCHOWDER and myself and take as much time as needed to walk him out. By this time, we had BLACKHAWK wrapped up in all three of our sleeping bags and encased in a bivy sack; he was still badly shivering and had lost color. It was clear, he was now pre-hypothermic.

As minutes passed, BLACKHAWK's condition worsened. He decided to press the "Help" button on his SPOT beacon. He didn't want to, but it wasn't hard to realize that a 9 mile hike out, even without a pack, was unrealistic. It was only a few minutes later when BLACKHAWK was in enough pain and chill that he decided to push the S.O.S. button - it was only 2030.

S.O.S: The S.O.S. signal sent an email message to BLACKHAWK's wife and my wife. You can imagine the kind of panic that caused. Knowing his plans, my wife immediately called MANCHOWDER. MANCHOWDER did an excellent job of attempting to calm the ladies down. Knowing the mountain rescue team would be responding, MANCHOWDER did not carry out his bonzai. At one point in the night, BLACKHAWK expressed he might vomit again. In the event he vomited again, CAVE and I prepared and staged a water bladder in order to force hydrate BLACKHAWK. Vomiting again would likely have been life threatening.

Day 3
Midnight: At this point, BLACKHAWK had begun to show signs of rehydration and warming up, but the cramps were still unbelievable. CAVE and I had been taking turns verifying BLACKHAWK's breathing and consciousness while the other rested. We let BLACKHAWK rest, but woke him every 30 minutes to hear his voice. BLACKHAWK had managed to sip down about one half quart of the water mix, we had kept it warm to help stabilize his core temperature.

0130: We heard the coach's whistle from the quick response mountain rescue team. We made contact while they were still about a quarter mile away. Upon their arrival, BLACKHAWK was able to clearly communicate the situation and answer all their questions. About twenty more mountain rescue volunteers arrived within the next hour carrying an incredible amount of rescue gear. They came in through a private ranch, the owner cooperates in that manner with the county Sheriff's office... this was an immense blessing.

0400: BLACKHAWK had received two liters of IV fluid, one salt solution and one sugar solution. After a couple lightning strikes just above us, the leader of the mountain rescue team decided to see if BLACKHAWK could walk. BLACKHAWK walked out 3.5 miles to the rescue ATVs.

0800: CAVE and I picked up BLACKHAWK from the nearest E.R. He received a precautionary EKG exam, another liter of hydration and a blood test revealed a stomach virus. No, it wasn't giardia.

Summary
I feel like I rambled, but I just wanted to tell the story. I learned very valuable lessons, I hope this might prevent someone else from experiencing something similar. It's been said, and I believe it wise, to always err on the side of caution. I had anticipated this trip for months and deeply desired to see this place. A former Commanding Officer used to say, "Have a plan, make sure it's a good plan, and execute that plan." I thought I had a good plan, but ignored the fog of my own ambition and desires... which is essentially selfishness. This situation could have ended much worse. I'm thankful to God CAVE was there and thankful MANCHOWDER was able to communicate back to our wives. I'm thankful it wasn't worse. Thank God for mountain rescue volunteers. Hats off to mountain rescue volunteers. These individuals gladly take on adverse conditions and situations for one reason: to help a stranger. If it weren't for them, this would be a different story. Appropriate comments are welcome. Happy trails!

-Pilgrim

P.S. - You'll see in the pictures how the Kifaru Megatarp - borrowed from MANCHOWDER - became a field hospital. The mountain rescue teams were very impressed by this shelter.

IMG_0812.jpgIMG_0809.jpgIMG_0810.jpg

Last edited:

JNDEER

WKR
Wow....glad everyone is ok now.

was your father in law in good enough shape to do this hike? was the stomach virus from something on this trip or did he get it right before the trip?

coOverwatch

Lil-Rokslider
pilgrim,
sorry to hear of the turn of events on your outing and thank you for posting. it never hurts to remind ourselves of the things that could go wrong and what steps should / could be taken when they do. I often find myself stomping around the backcountry on my own and sometimes ponder the "what if's". my wife was read this over my shoulder and made the comment: "if these military guy's can run into trouble what makes you think that a shmuck like you can't." (thanks hun)
I think a portion of my vehicle rebuild money is now "repurposed" to either a spot or sat phone.

again, glad everyone is okay and thanks for the post.

Glad all turned out well. You can beat yourself up about the detour, but it's counterproductive and the virus is the truly culpable. You were probably not monitoring your father in law's diarrhea. The best you could have done was to reiterate that he needed to maintain hydration. He may have minimized what he was feeling, as opposed to sharing it. When reality became apparent, you reacted in an organized and concerted effort. He was fortunate to have you guys there. Imagine if he was hiking with his neighbors. What was the range of elevation?

Thanks for sharing this and you might think of submitting this story to Field and Stream or other magazine and nobody should be rubbing anything in. Your actions saved your father in laws life. Dehydration is no laughing matter. I had a bad experience about 4 years ago with a buddy who said, "we're just going for a short walk from the truck." After that day that turned in to a Bataan death march after we over zealously chased some huge mule deer over hill and dale in scorching heat I promised myself to never again leave the truck without my daypack and basic survival gear including water or a way to get water.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
The one thing to remember about hydrating properly is to look outside the box of just drinking water.

I say this because doing what I do in the Army and in the mountains has put me in some horrible places under horrible conditions and I've really evaluated what works and didn't work the best, this was and is a life saver. For example..... When I have a hard pack-in to a basin or wherever I put half Pedialyte half water in my drinking bladder. This is an unbelievable help when you are going in because thats when you are gaining elevation and the muscles are in overtime. It replaces the vital electrolytes and aids in proper hydration. This is more then you would get if you drank just straight water. This may not be the perfect setup for everyone but give it a shot once and you may see a big difference in how you feel.

Buckman

WKR
Pilgrim, thanks for posting this, X2. I can relate to dehydration, spent a nite at the hospital to get back on my feet.(high fever won't go to see doc.)

Just wanted to clarify that I'm in no way trying to "rub anything in". I don't think there's much Monday morning quarterbacking that anyone can do. Who monitors someone else's diarrhea? His story gives me pause. I have kids who hike backcountry and camp with me, just not at elevation yet. Kids are notorious for failing to articulate their physical condition. A similar situation could present itself to me and I might not perform as well as Pilgrim.

sk1

WKR
now i know why my wife is so happy i bought that SPOT last year and use the tracking feature.....you never want to press that button but it sure is a good option to have than not.

glad everyone is ok

Snyd

WKR
Thanks for sharing Pilgrim. We can all learn from this as we should. This situation is one that I fear.... getting in to the mountains and getting hit with a stomach bug like that. Did you have any anti-diahrea or anti-nausea meds with you? You didn't mention but thought I'd ask. For those of you who don't carry them get some. They may not cure the problem but can help with symptoms for emergency care.

It sounds like your adventure as far as the map, back tracking, etc. would not have been an issue if Blackhawk hadn't gotten hit with the crud that was lying in wait in his gut.

Back to the anti-nausea/diarrhea meds. I carry OTC anti-diahrea but have some RX anti-nausea (zofran) and also a couple off RX supps. Can't remember the name. On 2 different hunts 2 different partners got his stomach problems, the meds helped. It wasn't as severe as your situation but it sure helped them.

Again, thanks for sharing and my post is in no way meant to say...."well you should have....." or bring condemnation.

I've been NSP for 15 years and have been in rescue situations that have gone right, some that worked out in the end but could have gone better. Debriefing and having CONSTRUCTIVE talk about the situation can and should be very beneficial.

Glad to hear it turned out ok

peace

OP
Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
JNDEER - he is in good enough shape, but not conditioned enough for the pace we were going. I really don't know about the virus. He experienced strikingly similar conditions last year. He seemed just fine, no bowel issues, before we left for the hike.

coOverwatch - SPOT is okay, but I believe DeLorme makes something better than SPOT and much much cheaper than a SAT phone. I believe armyjoe can speak to the DeLorme. Responders, I've now learned, hate SPOT messages. SPOT has no capability of relaying the severity of the situation, but the DeLorme can.

orionsbrother - BLACKHAWK lives at about 1100ft. Good question on the elevation gain, I had to look it up. The parking lot was 50ft higher than where mountain rescue came to get him, which was 9440. Our destination was about one half mile and 400ft of gain from there.

armyjoe - can you speak to options better than SPOT? Also, the doctor said the same thing you just did about hydration. He said it is a good idea on long and/or strenuous hikes to mix water 50/50 with either gatorade or pedialyte or always use drink mix powders with electrolytes. He even said to bring salt and sugar packets if nothing else.

Snyd - No. We had neither of those meds, but both are a good idea and I'll probably never go without them. I've learned so much from this experience.

I appreciate all the feedback, y'all. This is how we all get smarter out there.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Pilgrim thanks for sharing and you guys did a great job with keeping control of the situation and getting your dad in law help. Its a hard call and sometimes we have to really overstep our egos to know when enough is enough and its time to get help. I think you did a great job. Many a Men have died out in the back woods because they let their egos get in the way. Your story shows you overcame that and saw the gravity of the situation. When I find myself in the backwoods in the future and I see similar signs that you have said in your story this is what I will reflect too.

Safety is key out there. Its important to know our limits also. Ignoring either can cost you and your loved ones.

Thanks again Pilgrim.

Snyd

WKR
If he lives at 1100 and didn't spend a couple days acclimating before hitting the trail that could have been a big part of it. 8-10,000 is considered high altitude and has an effect on the body. He probably had AMS (Accute Mountain Sickness) in addition to the stomach bug. Last Feb we went to CO to ski with friends. I live at 500. Friends live at 9000. We spent 2 days hanging there before skiing. I could sure feel the difference in my body at 9000 just hanging out and going for a walk around town. It effects different people different ways.

Last edited:

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for the posting. Should be a reality check for all of us. I live at about 1200 ft and know that altitude makes a huge difference and try hard to pay attention to what my body tells me. At 50, I know that I can't keep up with a 28 year old in good shape, nor will I try. Unfortunately, our ambition has a tendency to fog our judgement and may compromise ours or someone else's well-being. Glad to hear that there was a favorable ending. Curious what the DeLorme comments are. I bought a sat phone earlier this year, but we still need to recognize when we are in trouble and use it. I have a Global Rescue membership, but that is still not an excuse for being careless on my part.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pilgrim, thanks for sharing your experience and I am so glad everyone got out ok. Nothing tests your mental preparation and equipment like an unexpected emergency. It sounds to me like you did everything right in terms of getting your FIL the help he needed. It's easy to second guess yourself, and while I am sure you learned some valuable lessons on this trip, sometimes no matter what you do, or how careful you are, things go wrong in the backcountry and you are stuck trying to figure out how to salvage the situation. I am so grateful you had the SPOT, and that it brought you and your party the help you needed when you needed it. Our sat phone saved my leg and probably my life when I was injured on a Kodiak goat hunt, so while I sometimes feel like a broken record, I can't emphasize enough the value of having a good method for emergency communication when things go wrong.

Your story is a good reminder for all of us, thank you so much for posting it.

KMD

Banned
Very sobering, thank you for sharing your story! And glad to read it through to a safe conclusion!!!

Ended up home early because of a problem with one of the kids. Trying to make the best of the situation after the eight year old's sentencing, we embarked on a journey of home chores. I came across a quote written on a slip of paper, sticking out of my map measurer case in my nightstand. It made me think of this thread and thought I'd share...

"The only aspect of our travels that is guaranteed to hold an audience is disaster...Nothing is better for self esteem than survival." Martha Gellhorn

RobD

Banned
thanks for sharing the story, good lessons to be learned and things to be reminded of