Blacktail hunting out of the Sitka area: early December?

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider
I have an opportunity to hunt Sitka blacktail out of the Sitka area by boat 12/3-12/8. Has anyone hunted this area that time of year? Is it worth doing? What should I expect? I have never been to Alaska.

slvrslngr

WKR
Go for it! Your success will mostly depend on how far from town you get and how much snow there is. Lots of snow, deer will be down on the beach. No snow, you're going to need to hike. The further from town you are the more deer you will likely find down low. Since you will be on a boat, I assume you will be with a local. They should know where to find the deer. The Sitka bt's are super fun to hunt wherever you find them. If you hike into the muskegs, try using a doe bleat to call in bucks. It can be really effective and fun to accomplish. Have a great time and bring really good rain gear!

Ray

WKR
There might be enough snow to force them down into the lower heavy treed elevations or even to the beaches. You can't shoot from the boat in the SE units unless you are disabled and hold a special permit. Do not shoot swimming deer as that is also illegal. The deer will still be fat at that time of the year and should be out of the rut.

It will be cold and wet, so bring several changes of synthetic clothes and rain gear that does not hold water. Heavy PVC or some other modern stuff that does not allow for water to enter the outer weave. I wear cheap lightweight grundens for work and they keep me dry, but the outside gets soaked and that gets annoying after a few days for rainforest living. You will want knee boots. Ask about how they plan to get to shore as you might want some hip waders or maybe chest waders in lew of rain pants.

OP
W

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies! I am hunting with a local who has a large boat and a few skiffs. Any recommendations on hip boots?