Hunting Black Bears on the Kenai Peninsula

I have the opportunity to go stay with a family member and Hunt black bears on the Kenai Peninsula. I would spot and stalk. My family member that's out there has not hunted a whole bunch he just loves to fish. I would be there at the end of May, first st of June. I don't even know where to begin. He told me bear tags are over the counter for non-residents there. Does anyone know if that is correct? I would plan to glass and hike. Even thinking about backpacking in and staying. I know there's a ton of brown bears/grizzlies in the area so I would not want to do that alone. I would love to hear any advice or what to expect. Including what the glassing situation is, likely hood of spotting a bear by spot and stalk. I would even love to hear thoughts on general areas through pm but I'm not expecting that. I pretty much don't know anything about it up there. I also have an area that he suggested that I would like to run by some people to see if they think it's a good option. Thanks for any advice.

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
Yes it is a harvest ticket for unit 7

Drive the Seward highway and look for places to stop and glass. Plenty of hiking trails to explore as well. Check south facing slopes and look for grass
Thank you so much! Do you think there's a decent likelihood of going after some bears? Also, would I have the chance to see some caribou? Is end of May a decent time? What about fishing that time of year?

rickyw

FNG
Thank you so much! Do you think there's a decent likelihood of going after some bears? Also, would I have the chance to see some caribou? Is end of May a decent time? What about fishing that time of year?
Bears yes and end of May is a good time. There are caribou that way but only very few and I wouldn’t plan on seeing any.
I’m not the guy to ask about early season fishing; I usually go after my salmon in July

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
Bears yes and end of May is a good time. There are caribou that way but only very few and I wouldn’t plan on seeing any.
I’m not the guy to ask about early season fishing; I usually go after my salmon in July
Well I really appreciate it. Any thoughts on the road from Kenai over to Moose pass? Could that hold bears?

There’s tons of bears in 15 and 7, both of which are harvest ticket. Fishing in May there isn’t much to be done as it’s the in between time from winter trout/ice fishing and salmon runs.

As far as seeing caribou, you could get lucky and see some over in 15 as there’s a lot more there than over in 7 but I wouldn’t bet on seeing them.

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
There’s tons of bears in 15 and 7, both of which are harvest ticket. Fishing in May there isn’t much to be done as it’s the in between time from winter trout/ice fishing and salmon runs.

As far as seeing caribou, you could get lucky and see some over in 15 as there’s a lot more there than over in 7 but I wouldn’t bet on seeing them.
So I take it I would either have to choose a 15 tag or a 7 tag? I couldn't hunt both areas?

So I take it I would either have to choose a 15 tag or a 7 tag? I couldn't hunt both areas?
No you just need to buy a hunting license and locking tag. With the locking tag you will get a harvest ticket as well. That tag and ticket will be good for any unit in the state that only requires a harvest ticket, both 7 and 15 are HT units.

I know unit 15 bears must be brought in to be sealed, I would imagine 7 is the same.

rickyw

FNG
No you just need to buy a hunting license and locking tag. With the locking tag you will get a harvest ticket as well. That tag and ticket will be good for any unit in the state that only requires a harvest ticket, both 7 and 15 are HT units.

I know unit 15 bears must be brought in to be sealed, I would imagine 7 is the same.
Yes sealing required in 7

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Plenty of bears and places to hunt bears on the Kenai. As stated, unit 7 (east side) and unit 15 (west side). Most native land is not huntable or has ridiculous trespass fees. There is plenty of state and federal land though.

You will need a license, a none resident locking tag, and harvest tickets. I recommend buying the license and getting the harvest tickets online and printing on waterproof paper. Just buy the locking tag in person once you get here, no point in ordering it.

A locking tag can be used for any animal of lesser value. While deer will not be open, an example is you can use a black bear locking tag for a deer (but cannot use a deer locking tag for a black bear). I don't think anything else will be open, but if you see any other open HT seasons, go ahead and get HTs for the species if the cost of a locking tag is less than a black bear tag.

Here is a link to the regs.

Feel free to PM with any specific questions, I may or may not be any help, hard to say without knowing the question.

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
Plenty of bears and places to hunt bears on the Kenai. As stated, unit 7 (east side) and unit 15 (west side). Most native land is not huntable or has ridiculous trespass fees. There is plenty of state and federal land though.

You will need a license, a none resident locking tag, and harvest tickets. I recommend buying the license and getting the harvest tickets online and printing on waterproof paper. Just buy the locking tag in person once you get here, no point in ordering it.

A locking tag can be used for any animal of lesser value. While deer will not be open, an example is you can use a black bear locking tag for a deer (but cannot use a deer locking tag for a black bear). I don't think anything else will be open, but if you see any other open HT seasons, go ahead and get HTs for the species if the cost of a locking tag is less than a black bear tag.

Here is a link to the regs.

Feel free to PM with any specific questions, I may or may not be any help, hard to say without knowing the question.
Thank you!

Only salmon fishing the time of year would. Be early snagging in seward pretty hit or miss, could try for a king in ship creek. You could fish for reds on the lower kenai, the upper kenai/russian doesnt open until june 11th

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Catchfish

WKR
Trout fishing can be good, there are some closures for the spawning in areas. As mentioned lots of trails in the Kenai mtns, lots of black bears as well. Also possibilities on the Saltwater out of Homer if the family has a boat.

LCoult

FNG
I am actually in a simular situation as I am going to stay with a relative in early June and we plan on black bear hunting on the kenai as well. Luckily my relative has hunted some on the Kenai and has harvested one black bear. However, I still am curious, I believe we are going from (roughly) June 5th-10th/11th. Do you guys think that would be enough time and also could that be a little late? Ive also heard to glass on the south facing slopes, so should they be mostly up high still during that time?

rickyw

FNG
I am actually in a simular situation as I am going to stay with a relative in early June and we plan on black bear hunting on the kenai as well. Luckily my relative has hunted some on the Kenai and has harvested one black bear. However, I still am curious, I believe we are going from (roughly) June 5th-10th/11th. Do you guys think that would be enough time and also could that be a little late? Ive also heard to glass on the south facing slopes, so should they be mostly up high still during that time?
It’s not too late. Look for green grass. Look high and low. Stay up late

LCoult

FNG
It’s not too late. Look for green grass. Look high and low. Stay up late
Thanks for the advice! as far as wether goes I know the mountains can be extremely unpredictable but in early June it shouldn't get below freezing at night will it?

rickyw

FNG
Thanks for the advice! as far as wether goes I know the mountains can be extremely unpredictable but in early June it shouldn't get below freezing at night will it?
Typically not in those mountains but it can still be cold

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I've had frost on my tent in the morning in August on the Kenai when camping high. Bring a warm puffy, long johns, and a 20 degree bag with a good pad if you are going to be high. Below tree line, I doubt it would be an issue.