Blisters after break-in?

S-3 ranch

WKR
I had something similiar a couple years ago due to a size issue. I used and put a ton of miles on some
Crispi summits around home and in the mountains, never once got a hot spot even. Bought a pair of crispi colorados had no issues at home but a half mile into my hike in the high country i tore the shit out of my heel. I used them on steep inclines with weight at home and everything, no issues but they beat me up instantly out there.
I had my old trusty summits along and swapped back on day 2 to those, which helped a lot. Come to find out once i was home the colorado ‘s were a half soze to small, so whether that was the issue or the extra stiffness of them model, they didnt work for me. So i sold on here then bought another pair of summits and am now 5-6 years on those without even a hot spot.
I’m a proponent of going to a proper boot store and being fitted for boots
internet 🛜 doesn’t seem to get me a good fit
I try with liners, without, different weight socks, ect

Radford

FNG
I just got home from my first backpack hunting trip. We came home empty handed unfortunately, and cut it a little short due to my partner's altitude sickness and some bad weather. However, the experience was great and we got to see some awesome country and validate all of our gear choices. My biggest gear failure however, were my boots.

I bought a pair of Oboz Bridger boots almost a year ago now and since February I put 40+ miles on them training with a weighted pack, up and down hill, with the same merino wool socks I took on the hunt. I was extremely confident in these boots, but I developed some terrible heel blisters on the second day of our hunt after not really a ton of hiking, definitely not more than I had done during training sessions. I taped up my heels and got a few more painful days out of the situation, but I don't understand what went wrong. Has anyone else had problems suddenly with well-tested and broke-in boots? Should I just preemptively tape my heels in the future?

I'm also pretty sure the waterproofing failed on day 4, but that's not as big of a problem as the blisters.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk
Curious if you're still using the Oboz Bridger boots? I've been using heavy mountain boots for a long time and wanting to switch to something like this. I just don't think the heavy boots are necessary. I've done hunts in my keen targees and been much more enjoyable and just as capable. And that was with a heavy pack. I just want something that goes up a little higher to keep junk from getting in my shoe. I don't like wearing gaiters.

OP
B

BH2010

FNG
Curious if you're still using the Oboz Bridger boots? I've been using heavy mountain boots for a long time and wanting to switch to something like this. I just don't think the heavy boots are necessary. I've done hunts in my keen targees and been much more enjoyable and just as capable. And that was with a heavy pack. I just want something that goes up a little higher to keep junk from getting in my shoe. I don't like wearing gaiters.
On and off. I haven't done much hiking in them since the hunt, but I've worn them to do some whitetail hunting and cutting wood. No issues there except one day I had pain on the top of my left heel again, while not doing anything. Just sitting or standing with them on it was causing me pain. No blister, but uncomfortable for sure. I'm not sure what to do with them, but maybe I will switch to a lighter, more flexible boot/trail runner.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk