Block Target

FeHunter

FNG
Seems like I’ve been going through my block targets quicker and quicker. I only shoot field points in them and it seems like I’m getting less than a year out of them.

Any suggestions and or block targets that hold up well for you folks?

YES!!!

The foam layers are stacked horizontally. Turn your target so the layers are verticle and shoot into it this way. If your target is on the ground with the horizontal layers the arrow rips through them. The verticle orientation is much better.

It's a feature, not a bug, in their design to make you buy a new one sooner!

big44a4

WKR
Seems like I’ve been going through my block targets quicker and quicker. I only shoot field points in them and it seems like I’m getting less than a year out of them.

Any suggestions and or block targets that hold up well for you folks?

Rinehart 18-1 last awhile of get a decent bag target for FP use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have a 48"x48" Block target, and I've been shooting the same target face in the same spot for the past four years. I recently had to move it to do some tree trimming and was surprised at what it looked like on the backside after four years of shooting from 0 out to 60 yards. And that's with 520gr arrows going 285-296fps, depending what I have the draw weight set at. The rest of the target looks perfect.
100_4499.JPG

Rich M

WKR
I got tired of buying targets - I don't shoot except for a couple months when I have a tag.

Anyway - I use layered cardboard in a cardboard box and run with that.

Last thought - we used to shoot at a range where they had chicken wire enclosures full of the unusable clothing from goodwill - worked good. Sure beat hay bales.

rclouse79

WKR
I keep all of my old ones. It is a pain setting them up but I plan to shoot my old block target, then a knock off block target and then my new one behind it. If I am burry to the fletching I will get rid of the middle one. I like the vertical orientation idea, and it makes sense. Seems like I should have thought of that. Thanks!

87TT

WKR
Kind of liking my Matrix that my sweet wife got me for my Birthday. Used to shoot the 18-1 and they lasted a year at best before they were in several pieces. A few broadheads through the layered targets and they were toast.

PAhntr91

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a morrel dual threat foam target. Held up pretty well so far. Only had it about 8 months now. It’s closed cell foam I think they call it. It will take broadheads too. 75 bucks. I think it’s a decent target for the price.

Spence14

WKR
Another vote for Rhinehart. I've got two years on mine with broadheads and field points and no sign of it slowing down any time soon.

87TT

WKR
I guess I shoot too much. never got over a year from a Rinehart or any target. Even limiting broadheads to just a couple a day in the weeks before season to check them.

xcutter

WKR
I have a 48"x48" Block target, and I've been shooting the same target face in the same spot for the past four years. I recently had to move it to do some tree trimming and was surprised at what it looked like on the backside after four years of shooting from 0 out to 60 yards. And that's with 520gr arrows going 285-296fps, depending what I have the draw weight set at. The rest of the target looks perfect.
View attachment 282227
Do you let this target sit outside in the weather or cover it up? I'm guessing you keep the weather off of it. That's awesome durability.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Do you let this target sit outside in the weather or cover it up? I'm guessing you keep the weather off of it. That's awesome durability.
It just sits out there. The weather and the sun does take a toll on the exposed layers though. When I grab it to move it, the foam crumbles on the edges. I used to bring it in for the winter with a hand truck, but got tired of that. The top and bottom have a layer of OSB that the steel bands tighten around, so most of the exposure is just on the edges.

My last one I bought used from a local archery shop and it lasted 9 years before it finally just crumbled. But that one was pretty shot out in the middle of each quadrant.

It’s rare that I get more than a year or so out of one. But I shoot broadheads off and on all year.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Here's my Blob target in the first picture after 8 years of BH tuning. Then my bow blew up on me in early 2018 and the top limb bolt had partially stripped out the riser, and the bow wasn't put back together correctly. So the 2nd picture shows what it looked like just after a few months of trying to BH tune with that fiasco of a bow. BH's will destroy any type of foam target in short order if you shoot it enough.
100_3395.JPG
101_3852.JPG

zman

Lil-Rokslider
Just got a couple of "rag bags" from third hand archery.
Really cheap way to shoot alot of field points.

OP
FeHunter

FeHunter

FNG
YES!!!

The foam layers are stacked horizontally. Turn your target so the layers are verticle and shoot into it this way. If your target is on the ground with the horizontal layers the arrow rips through them. The verticle orientation is much better.

It's a feature, not a bug, in their design to make you buy a new one sooner!
I cant believe how well this has been working! Thanks for the advice!