Blowfly Deterent

Oilfieldmiller

Lil-Rokslider
I remember seeing an old thread that mentioned this topic but haven’t been able to relocate it.

What do folks use and any recommendations on a spray that helps deter blowfly’s on your meat as your processing? Had a horrible time last year on a cow elk trying to get meat bagged up while flies where laying eggs on it.

Obviously would prefer something more natural and safe for the meat but will be happy with all suggestions for this upcoming season. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, it’s used all the time. It’ll help keep bacteria at bay in warm conditions. Do a search on this forum for citric acid and Larry Bartlett. It’ll lead to plenty of info.
I’ll check it out. Thank you!

Another thing to consider, or add in addition to citric acid, is pepper. I have mixed black, white and cayenne pepper in a spice shaker and shook it on the meat as we exposed it. This was mainly for bees in warm, dry late-Sept, early-Oct. It helped, flies were a concern, but secondary to the bees.

hunterjmj

WKR
My dad used pepper as well when it was warm. Seemed to help with the yellowjackets like mentioned before.