New Schnee’s Mission 2023

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Going to start a new thread - these were mentioned in the Crispi vs Schnees thread. @Schnee's tagging you in and as a sponsor I would encourage you to tell the story on these here; the more detail the better. Product page w/details: https://schnees.com/mission-mens/

A few background things from the start just because boots and fit are a personal thing, and I haven’t tried everything out there. I have preferred the more technical, synthetic boots since 2014 or so, mostly ankle height. Narrow heel, so La Sportiva is my jam. For extended backpack hunts over the years I’ve ran the LS Omega GTX, LS Boulder X Mid, LS Trango TRK, LS Trango Tech, Scarpa Charmoz, Schnees Timberline, and Schnees Beartooth 200g. I’ve used them all above tree line on steep rock/scree ridges, flats/trail, and more rolling terrain. For trail runners and day hikes, I greatly prefer Topo shoes and the wider toe boxes.

Schnees boots surprised me, in a good way. I tried them since from MT, but ironically never when I lived in Bozeman. What I gained (besides leather, weight and height) over the more technical mountain boots was better feeling feet at the end of a day, especially when packed in for the week. Instead of the front of my foot hurting a bit on day 3 and getting worse for the rest of the hunt, I found the mid sole, support and toe box with Schnees really helpful. And with 200g beartooths, my cold feet during late archery and rifle season was solved until pack boot weather. Scarpa Charmoz worked, but do not fit me as well in the heel - cold when there’s snow, but awesome moving uphill, too stiff otherwise (for me).

I ran my Trango techs until the mid sole cracked. The synthetic they use is not durable enough for mountain hunting, but they faired better than the Trango TRK boots, and didn’t hold moisture nearly as badly. The Trango Techs lasted 2x as long as the TRKs. I could use a bit more stiffness but they do straddle hiker/mountaineering well as a ‘trekker’ to me. Going to the Schnees timberlines for archery season has been more comfortable except during higher temps.

Comparison photos - Schnees Timberline, Schnees Mission, Scarpa Charmoz, and La Sportiva Trango Tech.
IMG_1734_Original.jpeg
IMG_1737_Original.jpeg

IMG_1736_Original.jpeg
IMG_1735_Original.jpeg
IMG_1740_Original.jpeg
IMG_1739_Original.jpeg

Things to note, especially with listed height specs - some measure to the tallest part of the boot, and some to the lowest. For the Missions, 7” is to the lowest back portion, but the front is a bit over 8 inches. Timberlines/Beartooths are 9 inch. Scarpas a bit lower than Missions, with LS Trango Tech’s a touch even lower. The rear stretch “gaiter” LS uses to cover that back area is nice.

The Mission: the first version I tried on was too much of a different fit from what I was used to, and the synthetic parts were too stiff to me. The revisions with this version are markedly better. The new midsole package feels nice. The new synthetic material is nice, and the blending with the leather lowers is a nice balance. They look a lot like the Lathrop and Sons boots to me. The fit is very similar to my other Schnees if not exactly the same, but obviously they feel a touch different. They are not “wide” in the toe, but the difference from LS and Scarpa is noticeable for the forward half of your foot. On the foot, the flex is about the ball of my foot forward (like the Beartooth), and the toe rocker helps the step off in an otherwise flat sole feel. The Charmoz has a similar toe rocker but flexes just under the toe section really. On the foot the Mission is a bit “more” boot in every dimension with a more padded ankle area, and tongue. The rand application closely matches a mountaineering boot. Compared to current mountaineering offerings, these flex a bit more, and are a bit heavier. I can only assume that after multiple days of all day movement hunting, the extra boot will offer a similar comfort boost as I’ve seen with the timberline and beartooths.

If considering the Schnees Mission hopefully this brief in-hand description and comparison with other boots helps.

bigmike23

Lil-Rokslider
Good stuff and it looks like a winner. I just would never own it because of its height. Way to much swamps, creeks and streams for me to cross

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Nice write up! Happy to answer any questions from folks.

Matt
Matt - hardware changed this year (in Beartooths only?), and the Missions have the new simpler lace locks. Why did Schnee's elect to not use the new roller eyes like you changed on the Beartooths?

ClydeM

FNG
Nice write up! Happy to answer any questions from folks.

Matt
Wondering if I could get some help picking out a boot. I’m torn between the Timberline and the Beartooth. My hunting is pretty much all spot and stalk/still hunting(archery), for whitetail, black bear and hogs in the Appalachian mountains .

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Wondering if I could get some help picking out a boot. I’m torn between the Timberline and the Beartooth. My hunting is pretty much all spot and stalk/still hunting(archery), for whitetail, black bear and hogs in the Appalachian mountains .
Let's keep this thread to the subject/boot; I would call or just PM @Schnee's for personal recommendations.

The previous response you got in the other thread is one I would agree with (Timberline). IF you prefer a stiffer boot and hunt up/down a ton, the beartooth may make sense, but likely Timberline is the best fit.

ClydeM

FNG
Let's keep this thread to the subject/boot; I would call or just PM @Schnee's for personal recommendations.

The previous response you got in the other thread is one I would agree with (Timberline). IF you prefer a stiffer boot and hunt up/down a ton, the beartooth may make sense, but likely Timberline is the best fit.
didn’t mean to hijack the thread, but the PM feature isn’t working for me

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Basically the same boot, except for stiffness. I'd probably go beartooth. Such a great boot and I like extra stiffness and ankle support personally. - matt

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Matt - hardware changed this year (in Beartooths only?), and the Missions have the new simpler lace locks. Why did Schnee's elect to not use the new roller eyes like you changed on the Beartooths?

Sorry, not exactly clear on your question? The hardware on a number of boots changed to 2-piece articulating pieces. Beartooth, Timberline, Divide mid.. i might be forgetting one

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Sorry, not exactly clear on your question? The hardware on a number of boots changed to 2-piece articulating pieces. Beartooth, Timberline, Divide mid.. i might be forgetting one
I was just asking about the hardware on the lower part of the boot that changed on some models. Why not across the board?

Going to start a new thread - these were mentioned in the Crispi vs Schnees thread. @Schnee's tagging you in and as a sponsor I would encourage you to tell the story on these here; the more detail the better. Product page w/details: https://schnees.com/mission-mens/

A few background things from the start just because boots and fit are a personal thing, and I haven’t tried everything out there. I have preferred the more technical, synthetic boots since 2014 or so, mostly ankle height. Narrow heel, so La Sportiva is my jam. For extended backpack hunts over the years I’ve ran the LS Omega GTX, LS Boulder X Mid, LS Trango TRK, LS Trango Tech, Scarpa Charmoz, Schnees Timberline, and Schnees Beartooth 200g. I’ve used them all above tree line on steep rock/scree ridges, flats/trail, and more rolling terrain. For trail runners and day hikes, I greatly prefer Topo shoes and the wider toe boxes.

Schnees boots surprised me, in a good way. I tried them since from MT, but ironically never when I lived in Bozeman. What I gained (besides leather, weight and height) over the more technical mountain boots was better feeling feet at the end of a day, especially when packed in for the week. Instead of the front of my foot hurting a bit on day 3 and getting worse for the rest of the hunt, I found the mid sole, support and toe box with Schnees really helpful. And with 200g beartooths, my cold feet during late archery and rifle season was solved until pack boot weather. Scarpa Charmoz worked, but do not fit me as well in the heel - cold when there’s snow, but awesome moving uphill, too stiff otherwise (for me).

I ran my Trango techs until the mid sole cracked. The synthetic they use is not durable enough for mountain hunting, but they faired better than the Trango TRK boots, and didn’t hold moisture nearly as badly. The Trango Techs lasted 2x as long as the TRKs. I could use a bit more stiffness but they do straddle hiker/mountaineering well as a ‘trekker’ to me. Going to the Schnees timberlines for archery season has been more comfortable except during higher temps.

Comparison photos - Schnees Timberline, Schnees Mission, Scarpa Charmoz, and La Sportiva Trango Tech.
View attachment 561827
View attachment 561828

View attachment 561829
View attachment 561830
View attachment 561831
View attachment 561832

Things to note, especially with listed height specs - some measure to the tallest part of the boot, and some to the lowest. For the Missions, 7” is to the lowest back portion, but the front is a bit over 8 inches. Timberlines/Beartooths are 9 inch. Scarpas a bit lower than Missions, with LS Trango Tech’s a touch even lower. The rear stretch “gaiter” LS uses to cover that back area is nice.

The Mission: the first version I tried on was too much of a different fit from what I was used to, and the synthetic parts were too stiff to me. The revisions with this version are markedly better. The new midsole package feels nice. The new synthetic material is nice, and the blending with the leather lowers is a nice balance. They look a lot like the Lathrop and Sons boots to me. The fit is very similar to my other Schnees if not exactly the same, but obviously they feel a touch different. They are not “wide” in the toe, but the difference from LS and Scarpa is noticeable for the forward half of your foot. On the foot, the flex is about the ball of my foot forward (like the Beartooth), and the toe rocker helps the step off in an otherwise flat sole feel. The Charmoz has a similar toe rocker but flexes just under the toe section really. On the foot the Mission is a bit “more” boot in every dimension with a more padded ankle area, and tongue. The rand application closely matches a mountaineering boot. Compared to current mountaineering offerings, these flex a bit more, and are a bit heavier. I can only assume that after multiple days of all day movement hunting, the extra boot will offer a similar comfort boost as I’ve seen with the timberline and beartooths.

If considering the Schnees Mission hopefully this brief in-hand description and comparison with other boots helps.
How have the Mission v2's held up? I'm a big Schnees fan and am looking at these or the Crispi Colorado for an archery elk / Coues deer boot. I have the Kestrals and I love them but looking for a stiffer boot when things get steep. thanks!

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
How have the Mission v2's held up? I'm a big Schnees fan and am looking at these or the Crispi Colorado for an archery elk / Coues deer boot. I have the Kestrals and I love them but looking for a stiffer boot when things get steep. thanks!
Have not used them enough to comment. They don’t quite work the best for me heel so I cleaned them up and listed after a couple of trail sessions with them. I’ve never had an issue with Schnee’s for durability though, one of the better brands for build quality.

Have not used them enough to comment. They don’t quite work the best for me heel so I cleaned them up and listed after a couple of trail sessions with them. I’ve never had an issue with Schnee’s for durability though, one of the better brands for build quality.
thanks for the reply.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
The Colorados seem stiffer to me than the V2s. Overall the Colorados fit my foot better so I would pick them over the V2s for elk hunting, but I do still really like the V2s.

I wore crispi boots for many years before trying my first schnees but a couple years ago. I strictly wear schnees now, the immediate comfort from day 1 was incredible. So far I have enjoyed the switch. Great customer service and great sales around the holidays