Boerboel, new mastiff puppy

Jbxl20

WKR
After our previous dog (83lb plott hound) passed away in December at age 12, we were not in the market for another dog this soon. But when your offered a free puppy from a rescued litter how do you pass it up. This is Winston the Boerboel. He’s also known as a South African mastiff and we are estimating he will be around 150lbs full grown. So far He’s very laid back and eager and excited to meet anyone and everyone. We have been trying to socialize him as much as possible because these are bred to be guard dogs and can get aggressive. Does anyone have experience with giant breed dogs? Any dos and don’t s compared to other breeds?

Attachments

• 4A1F951C-2C11-4E26-A4DC-CF9B6E5313E3.jpeg
    4A1F951C-2C11-4E26-A4DC-CF9B6E5313E3.jpeg
    363.1 KB · Views: 166
  • 0E6208DF-FC9B-4871-9A9B-AA74D0839B08.jpeg
    0E6208DF-FC9B-4871-9A9B-AA74D0839B08.jpeg
    347 KB · Views: 165
  • E03B9C9D-4EF8-4B2A-9F54-8CEAD79BD21B.jpeg
    E03B9C9D-4EF8-4B2A-9F54-8CEAD79BD21B.jpeg
    989.6 KB · Views: 169

quaggy25

Lil-Rokslider
I had a 175lb Great Dane. He was incredibly laid back but afraid of everything. He would cower when a fly got into the house. Socialization with other animals and people is important.

One of the most important things with any dog IMO is to have them comfortable with others around while playing with toys and eating. When puppies I always make sure to give them food and then will stick my hand in the bowl, move the bowl, stick my hand in/around their mouth. Dogs can get territorial around food and toys and can be aggressive about it. Big dogs can do major damage. A buddy of mine had a Cane Corso that only would allow him and me to feed it. He eventually had to get rid of it because it snapped at his then fiancé a few times.

Anyway, socializing with animals (not just dogs) and people is key.

We have a Kangal (pronounced Khangull) a Turkish breed. He’ll weigh about the same when he’s done growing- they’re known as the lion dog, and wolf killers. Sweetest dog you could meet, but you have to be stern. Kinda like most working dogs in my experience- sharp commands and a no bull crap attitude. Reason being, if you need him to “leave it” and “come” when he tries to run the mail man off, you need him to “leave it” and “come” right then. The stakes are higher than with a corgi haha. I’d watch for resource aggression- they’ll take to something, usually food, or a couch, or a blanket and get very defensive. That’s normal for the protective breeds, but you have to nip it in the bud when you can still pick them up. Our breeder recommended laying the dog on his side and *gently* but firmly holding him there until he quits struggling to assert dominance- it’s a must that they know you’re the alpha. That didn’t stop me from biting the dude’s ear when he got too outta line, though. That usually works like a charm, regardless of how ridiculous it sounds. Hermspringer prong collars are a shoulder-surgery saver, and will teach the dog leash respect. Just make sure it fits- when properly fitted it will NOT harm the dog. It actually protects their trachea, where as a solid collar tends to act like a noose when the dog pulls. There are tons of YouTube videos on how to properly use a prong collar (short sharp snaps on the leash versus trying to drag the dog etc). Most of all enjoy the Dog! Interacting consistently every day is more than 90% of owners out there do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grumman

WKR
That’s a great looking pup. I had a bullmastiff as a kid and it was one of the best dogs I’ve ever had. Socializing is key as others said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also, I’d make sure to desensitize him as much as possible- shaking pennies in a water bottle at feeding time, walking on plastics bags, sand, rocks, etc. put him in a cheap plastic swimming pool of water bottles, have people shoot nerf guns. Really any kind of stimuli that you can devise early on in his life will help make him “bombproof”. While you do that stuff, golf his attention on you using treats and a positive tone.

OP
Jbxl20

Jbxl20

WKR
I had a 175lb Great Dane. He was incredibly laid back but afraid of everything. He would cower when a fly got into the house. Socialization with other animals and people is important.

One of the most important things with any dog IMO is to have them comfortable with others around while playing with toys and eating. When puppies I always make sure to give them food and then will stick my hand in the bowl, move the bowl, stick my hand in/around their mouth. Dogs can get territorial around food and toys and can be aggressive about it. Big dogs can do major damage. A buddy of mine had a Cane Corso that only would allow him and me to feed it. He eventually had to get rid of it because it snapped at his then fiancé a few times.

We have a 3 year daughter and a 6 year old son. My daughter does most of the feeding when’s she’s able. And we have been taking the bowl and and refilling it while making him sit and stay. Our last dog was very territorial of her food and toys and we don’t want that situation again. Winston comes with us to the baby sitter and so far loves hanging out with the other kids. We are lucky and have a lot of friends with dogs and younger puppies and have already had a few puppy play dates.

BBob

WKR
The Boerboel’s I’ve been around have been pretty mellow and good trainable dogs. They were not any more aggressive or trouble than a well trained Pit. You’re already on the right track with training and socializing so you’ll likely be fine :)

Should have kept the pooch and ditched the old lady, looks like that happened anyway.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Start now, make sure he knows you are the pack leader and, always maintain that position. As mentioned, socializing is very important, both with humans and other dogs. Not knowing anything about you, I will say, never any kind go physical punishment, just loud stern commands and he must listen on first command, once he understands commands and what he must do. He is a neat looking pup, enjoy.

OP
Jbxl20

Jbxl20

WKR
Hermspringer prong collars are a shoulder-surgery saver, and will teach the dog leash respect. Just make sure it fits- when properly fitted it will NOT harm the dog. It actually protects their trachea, where as a solid collar tends to act like a noose when the dog pulls. There are tons of YouTube videos on how to properly use a prong collar (short sharp snaps on the leash versus trying to drag the dog etc). Most of all enjoy the Dog! Interacting consistently every day is more than 90% of owners out there do.

I don’t have any experience with these prong collars. I did watch some YouTube videos and will look more into it. Thanks

wyosteve

WKR
My former neighbor had one of those. Sweet dog named Dozer because he pretty much plowed through anything! He was mellow and got along well with their children. He was a ‘leaner’ meaning he would come up next to you and lean all 160 pounds against you wanting to be petted! Needed to be prepared and brace yourself!

Great choice in the name, my basset is also named Winston. As long as you stay on top of training and keep him socialized he'll be an awesome dog, congrats!

What a beautiful dog, congrats! I have had 3 Bull Mastiffs, they were all fantastic with people (despite being bred as a Gamekeepers Dog), they were a little dog aggressive. You have the advantage of getting Winston as a puppy; everyone has said it, socialize as much as you can, touch his feet until it doesn't bother him so later you can clip his nails easily, touch his ears so you will be able to clean them, try to get him around other animals (dogs, cats, farm, etc.) that aren't aggressive. When you put him in your car/truck have strangers open the door, give him a treat and pet him. Anything you can do - especially when he is still a puppy to desensitize him from the world will pay dividends later when he is 150 pounds.

Also I am believer in the Cesar Millan (the Dog Whisperer). I really think he knows what he is doing and approaches dog training much differently than many others - it might be worth a look and determine if you agree. I now focus on rescuing Pit Bulls because I feel they are misunderstood and are a little smaller. Best of luck with Winston I am sure he will be a wonderful member of your family!

BBob

WKR
He was a ‘leaner’ meaning he would come up next to you and lean all 160 pounds against you wanting to be petted! Needed to be prepared and brace yourself!
They do seem to love that! I know a 185 pounder and that's the first thing he does when he sees you. He'll stand there leaning on you demanding butt rubs :ROFLMAO:

Agross

WKR
A lot of great advice. I’m far from an expert, but after having a German shorthair for 15 years, and a weim for 12, we got a cane corso a few months back. She’s great, but definitely different.
Don’t know if it’s been mentioned already , but I suggest a lot of chew toys, a lot. They have powerful jaws and she loves to chew .
for the most part ours is very mellow and laid back 90 percent of the time. But sometimes she gets bursts of energy and flies all over for a few minutes then lays down and takes a nap. I wish I woulda thought of the feet touching like just mentioned, as she hates getting her nails trimmed. Hates it.
You have a beautiful pup, enjoy it now cuz they grow extremely fast. Ours was ten pounds at two months when we got her and by six months was over 60 lbs.

A lot of great advice. I’m far from an expert, but after having a German shorthair for 15 years, and a weim for 12, we got a cane corso a few months back. She’s great, but definitely different.
Don’t know if it’s been mentioned already , but I suggest a lot of chew toys, a lot. They have powerful jaws and she loves to chew .
for the most part ours is very mellow and laid back 90 percent of the time. But sometimes she gets bursts of energy and flies all over for a few minutes then lays down and takes a nap. I wish I woulda thought of the feet touching like just mentioned, as she hates getting her nails trimmed. Hates it.
You have a beautiful pup, enjoy it now cuz they grow extremely fast. Ours was ten pounds at two months when we got her and by six months was over 60 lbs.
This is a great suggestion, I had one puppy that chewed everything, shoes, sheetrock, furniture, it was crazy. "Puppy-proof" the house, get your shoes off the floor, etc.

The quick sprints are called zoomies, they burn off pent up energy sometimes referred to as FAP (frantic ass pooch) THE LAB WOULD DO IT A BIT WHEN YOUNGER, NOT SO MUCH NOW BUT WHEN HE DOES JUST GET OUT OF THE WAY🤣 and yes play with their feet we had an old English sheep dog that hated his feet touched. We even started with his feet the day we picked him up. I tell the lab want a foot massage and he holds up his front foot one at a time then lays down for the back ones.

MattB

WKR
for the most part ours is very mellow and laid back 90 percent of the time. But sometimes she gets bursts of energy and flies all over for a few minutes then lays down and takes a nap.
The technical term for that per my 14 year-old daughter is the "zoomies". Funny as hell so long as all the furniture survives.

Agross

WKR
Yeh that’s what our family calls it too. She actually just did it an hr ago. She did 13 laps around the living room and dining room table as fast as she could. I counted cuz I happened to be sitting at the table. Then she took a deep breath and laid down. Cracks me up every time she does it, but you gotta watch out. She almost blew the lamp off the end table, and sometimes she jumps over the couch whether yer on it or not.