Book club

Im halfway thru "Mule Deer Country" by Valerius Geist. I really like it!

What should I read next after this one? I'm thinking I might prefer something older like "field notes" by Saxton Pope, or something like that.

1681513779861.png

poboy2214

FNG
Im halfway thru "Mule Deer Country" by Valerius Geist. I really like it!

What should I read next after this one? I'm thinking I might prefer something older like "field notes" by Saxton Pope, or something like that.

View attachment 542820
Currently reading The Still Hunter by Theodore S. Van Dyke and I like it. Originally written in the 1890’s, lots of good insight on how to still hunt deer.

Loper

WKR
I'm currently reading One Man, One Rifle, One Land, by J.Y Jones. I haven't gotten too deep into it, but so far so good. I'm always looking for new books to read. I just sold my copy of the Jack O'Connor's The Hunting Rifle a few days ago.

Basher

FNG
Following. I’m a bit of a book hoarder and just getting in to the hunting side of the shooting world, so might have to pick up a few of these for myself to enjoy. :)

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
I'm trying to read Blood Meridian again, and actually finish it...

Taking a break to read Goodbye to a River.
While way outside the lines of what (I think) the OP is reading, I can’t recommend Blood Meridian enough. Mind bending, insane, brilliant. Bring a seatbelt for that one, a rough ride. Hope you make it through on this attempt! I absolutely understand putting it down. If anyone wants to jump into Cormac McCarthy I’d suggest All The Pretty Horses, easier read, great book. Don’t let that Matt Damon movie sway the decision. Wasn’t near as impressed with The Crossing, but still worth the time IMO. Just starting the third in the trilogy now, we’ll see.

While way outside the lines of what (I think) the OP is reading, I can’t recommend Blood Meridian enough. Mind bending, insane, brilliant. Bring a seatbelt for that one, a rough ride. Hope you make it through on this attempt! I absolutely understand putting it down. If anyone wants to jump into Cormac McCarthy I’d suggest All The Pretty Horses, easier read, great book. Don’t let that Matt Damon movie sway the decision. Wasn’t near as impressed with The Crossing, but still worth the time IMO. Just starting the third in the trilogy now, we’ll see.
Is blood meridian a historical fiction?

Yeah... I was guessing it was outside what he was looking for too. Lol

I always recommend All The Pretty Horses to people curious about Cormac.

My reading is all over the place, but very little fiction.

I read Blood Meridian in the evenings on a solo late season elk hunt in Eastern Oregon. Hell of an experience and a book that I think about all the time at least weekly. I have enjoyed pretty much all of McCarthy's books. The border trilogy are all good and agree that All the Pretty Horses is the best but all of them are leagues better than most books I read.

More germane to the topic I thought Rinella's American Buffalo was a pretty good read. I still like to pick up some McManus from time to time.

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
Couple others worth any outdoorsmen’s time - River Runs Through It / Young Men and Fire.

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Since you named this thread "Book Club," perhaps you can share your next read and I can see if I can get my hands on it.

tony

WKR
Hunting only?
Recently finished "One damn thing after another". By Attorney General Bill Barr
Reading "Pandemia" by Alex Berenson

Fatcamp

WKR
Reading "The Champion Buffalo Hunter" now.

On deck is "Incidents From An Elephant Hunters Diary." A bunch of excerpts from W.D.M. Bells writings.