Boots for 4E Feet?

Dean757

FNG
I wear 4E size 10 or 10.5 New Balance and Asics sneakers. I found this forum through researching various gear and find it a great resource. I read the Boots for Wide Feet thread and I'm trying to narrow down what to try first.

I hike and backpack. I live in Virginia Beach and hike along the blue ridge mountains and smokey mountains - recently had a trip to Grayson Highlands. I have Merrell Moab GTX boots that are close to fitting well. However, they are not waterproof and too flexible. I had many water crossings and couldn't avoid dunking one of my feet. I was soaked completely. It was warm enough I wasn't concerned but after hiking 10mi I ended up with blisters. Should have had an extra pair of socks and microfiber towel with me, stopped and dried off and changed but I didn't.

Aside from the water, they are far too flexible for gravel, boulder fields, rocks of which there were many. Felt like my feet were hit with a hammer for hours.

So, time to drop money on a high quality pair of boots.

My first instinct was to order the Meindl Comfort Fit Extreme.

Anyone out there typically run EEEE width and find these fit well? If not Meindl, which brand runs the widest last? Schnee has a sale, but their boots don't seem very wide based on photos. It's a lot of money to order, return, order again....hoping to find others with flippers for feet to confirm what works width wise.

At a minimum I'd need 4.5 inches width on the insole. 4.75 would be more ideal.

Ideally, I'd like waterproof and medium to very stiff soles.

Thanks for all the great information here. The Creepy Backcountry thread has entertained me for days!

- Dean

flippers.jpg

oldillini

Lil-Rokslider
Just a thought, but maybe contact Lathrop & Sons. They have their own boot line as well as deal will several other boot lines. They have lots of experience with fitting of boots and may be able to offer some thoughts. I would talk to Stephen or James (owners).

kcm2

WKR
I have a high volume size 9.5 4E foot. I can't even get my foot into most size 10 wide boots like those Meindls and if I do, it's too tight in spots. Lathrop and Sons just introduced a 4E width boot that they are modifying for me. For light duty, I have a pair of New Balance hiking boots that are very comfortable, but don't have the ankle support I need for packing out elk quarters.

limpet

FNG
I have you beat with size 10F on my left foot and 10.5EEEE on my right. The Hoffman boots by armond have been the best fitting boots I’ve ever worn especially after changing the lacing pattern for my high volume spots. No more squeezed feeling on my feet with the 10.5 wides. I wear them probably 340+ days a year

OP
D

Dean757

FNG
I have a high volume size 9.5 4E foot. I can't even get my foot into most size 10 wide boots like those Meindls and if I do, it's too tight in spots. Lathrop and Sons just introduced a 4E width boot that they are modifying for me. For light duty, I have a pair of New Balance hiking boots that are very comfortable, but don't have the ankle support I need for packing out elk quarters.
I saw those superwide boots. They have no reviews. Please let me know your opinion after you get them.
I have you beat with size 10F on my left foot and 10.5EEEE on my right. The Hoffman boots by armond have been the best fitting boots I’ve ever worn especially after changing the lacing pattern for my high volume spots. No more squeezed feeling on my feet with the 10.5 wides. I wear them probably 340+ days a year
I've never heard of a size F. Man... That must be terrible to find various types of shoes that fit. I'm checking out the Hoffman offerings now. Thanks for the info.

My feet are fairly wide. I have a pair of kenetrek mountain extremes that work. My favorite are crispi. Thors for midweight hikers have become my go to.

kcm2

WKR
I saw those superwide boots. They have no reviews. Please let me know your opinion after you get them.

I've never heard of a size F. Man... That must be terrible to find various types of shoes that fit. I'm checking out the Hoffman offerings now. Thanks for the info.
Oh, after I get them and start putting some miles on them, I'll post here.......Stephen and I have had a long talk about what I need and how. He thinks I'll have them by the end of the month, which may or may not be before my elk trip late this month.

Crispi Montana II, wides, are the widest, and best fitting footwear I own. I typically size up to 13 wide or EEEEs to get enough width in sneakers (nike, asics, new balance, reebok), but my montana IIs are 12.5 wide. definitely worth a try.

Irish setter used to make a 4E, they're a redwing company, when I had to work the terminals and CSX paid for our boots Redwing was all I wore....now I find a pair of New Balance is hard to beat lol

OP
D

Dean757

FNG
Tried the Hoffman Explorer in 10.5 wide and it's a no go. Too bad as they felt really comfortable aside from squeezing my forefeet. Anyone try the Lathrop and Sons Superwide yet? I hate they have no reviews on their website.

Dejhavu

FNG
I don't do boots but my Altras are the best option I've found for my feet in a hiking shoe. They do offer a high top version but likely not what you are looking for.

I have a pair of 4E shoes from NB that are so narrow it's a joke. Currently have a pair of xero shoes prios for daily wear and while they are still a little narrow they feel better than just about anything else.

The struggle is real. I don't even feel like my feet are that wide but pull a liner out and it pretty obvious that they are.

kcm2

WKR
The Lathrop and Sons 9.5 4E width boots are so far, excellent. I haven't put more than 20 miles on them, but they fit. Lock your feet right it. I will do some summer hiking but don't have any hunting related reasons to wear them until September, with the caveat that I'll know more if an elk or a bear gets in my way.

OP
D

Dean757

FNG
The Lathrop and Sons 9.5 4E width boots are so far, excellent. I haven't put more than 20 miles on them, but they fit. Lock your feet right it. I will do some summer hiking but don't have any hunting related reasons to wear them until September, with the caveat that I'll know more if an elk or a bear gets in my way.

Been waiting for your update. Sounds promising!

kcm2

WKR
So far, so good. Darn stiff, they're built. They spent an hour over two phone calls helping me out on getting them fitted and broken in, as a part of what they do. Not cheap, but at what my feet felt like in 2021, it's worth every penny.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Guy at the wide foot store measured mine and they were 4E+, said they were "extra wide". Have had problems with shoes and boots my entire adult life. Only brand that has come close to fitting are Meindls. DO NOT even consider Kennetreks, even their wides. They have no clue what wide feet are.