BOSS DUPLEX LOAD 3 in 11/2 oz 3/5 shot

Mike76

FNG
I'm sure some might say I am running this Boss shot gun shell Issue into the ground.
But! I'm a very interested individual to know as much as possible about what I'm shooting and what i might be shooting to extend my yardage, for better patterns, and of coarse better kill ratio.
So I have been asking much about the Boss Shot Gun Shells to the point of what shot size for Ducks and Geese shots the best from that Boss shell. Personally I'm now shooting Hevi steel Number 3s 1 1/4 oz 3 inch and they do well as mentioned up to about 33 yrds +- a couple.
I have heard quite a bit and what is mentioned is the Duplex load 3/5 shot. This is where I was thinking that might be a decent load. Then I'm thinking shot numbers for each of the number 3 shot and the number 5 shot. Some say they don't like it while others say it patterns well and shoots well.
I too before the Steel shot came into affect loaded all my own shells and shot nothing but number 6 shot and 7 1/2 loads.
Did extremely well with 6s an 87 % pattern at 30 yrds using a full choke out of my auto A5.
I dropped to just under 73% at 40 yrds with 6s and killed the hell out Birds. Again a lot of pattering, a lot of shooting knowing what that gun and shell would do at these ranges and even extended shots a little. Those 71/2 were also killers at closer Ranges. Sculling on Geese with 71/2 first shot across there heads did a job. You can take it to the Bank.
I want the same thing with this steel and have not found it yet by any means. The Hevi steel load Number 3s shoots well and pattern well out of my Benelli SBE2 3.5 in 28. but after 33+ not so good.
Im looking for that shell which I have mentioned numerous times that will reach out to 40 and hold a decent pattern and what I'm hearing is the BOSS Load is the best and the guys shooting other shells are going to go to the BOSS once they have expired there other shells.
My concern is this Duplex Load? I was Leaning towards that Load and now leaning more to the Number 5 Load 1 1/2 oz 3 inch 5 shot.
I'm hearing guys with the 3/5 but not so much from guys shooting the number 5 BOSS loadthumbnail_20210123_112040.jpg. I'm hearing guys once they expire other shells that's the round they want to got too the number 5. Yes I do Know every shotgun is different as do the chokes make a difference But ok what is the number 5 doing from your Shot Gun?
I have decent knowledge of what the 3/5 does but not the 5 shot.
I also mentioned I like the copper coated shells that BOSS shells ar, meaning I can go back when I like and shoot the auto 5 full choke if it patterns well with no worries.
Grew up shooting that shotgun and was hell to make the change over to the Benelli and love both shotguns.
Just learning it all That I can take in this old mind.. Thanks guys for the reply's very well appreciated.
Hunter73

dtrkyman

WKR

I may well go the boss route as well. Looking through a bunch of data I am likely gong with their 1oz stinger loads, I shoot decoying birds and rarely ever pass shoot birds that do not work.

I would not gov over 1 1/4 oz personally but I am talking duck loads, I have a bunch of HTL goose loads I got cheap a long time ago.

I shoot a sbe2 as well and just did a bunch of patterning recently, all steel, 2,3 and 4 shot, of course the 4s looked best on paper and I usually load a 4 for the first round backed up by 3s or 2s.

I had bought some kent 1 1/16th oz 4s do to nothing else available and they flat smoked the ducks I connected with.

I shot factory IC, kicks mod and factory IM, the IM was the best looking on paper but I have killed a pile of birds with the licks and the IC.

Seems Bismuth does like a tighter choke from what I have researched.

At $1.50 per round the Boss are a good value, most premium steel is that much. Hell I paid like 26 bucks for those 2 3/4 Kents, ouch!

KurtR

WKR
It crushed what I shot this year but I don’t shoot unless they are feet down in the decoys. Both big geese and ducks.

On my small ponds I hunt, I use 4 or 5 bismuth and finish off birds with #6. For long range birds i keep a few TSS #8 shells in my chest pocket

Have a full box of boss 12ga 3" 3/5s that I haven't opened. Bought it because I hunt everything from teal to swans in the same spread. Used the 3" 5s in early season and the 3" 4s since December. Just shot a variety of medium - large ducks, lessers, and a swan with the 4s. I'll pattern the 3/5s but am not worried about them killing waterfowl over decoys.

OP
Mike76

Mike76

FNG
Have a full box of boss 12ga 3" 3/5s that I haven't opened. Bought it because I hunt everything from teal to swans in the same spread. Used the 3" 5s in early season and the 3" 4s since December. Just shot a variety of medium - large ducks, lessers, and a swan with the 4s. I'll pattern the 3/5s but am not worried about them killing waterfowl over decoys.
Thanks Gentlemen very much, appreciate the reply's back
I'm thinking when it gets back on the Market and whom know when that might be?
I'm just at the point of just flat going to the Number 5s 3" 1 1/2 oz. I'm thinking its going to as close to my old school days when I shot nothing but number 6 lead.
Hopefully I get a little more feed back on the Number 5 load and then put it all together and just bow up and go for it.
I'm really appreciating the come backs on all these BOSS Questions I have put out there, as it really helps. And in the long run might just help a few others make up there minds..
Thanks again Gentleman! Hunter 73

OP
Mike76

Mike76

FNG
David How did the Number 5s work for you i the early season? Choke with those number %s were? Full, Mod, Imod/ Thank U sir

OP
Mike76

Mike76

FNG
On my small ponds I hunt, I use 4 or 5 bismuth and finish off birds with #6. For long range birds i keep a few TSS #8 shells in my chest pocket
Doc
is the Bismuth your shooting BOSS Loads or Bismuth from another load. How did the 5s shoot compared to the 4s

OP
Mike76

Mike76

FNG

I may well go the boss route as well. Looking through a bunch of data I am likely gong with their 1oz stinger loads, I shoot decoying birds and rarely ever pass shoot birds that do not work.

I would not gov over 1 1/4 oz personally but I am talking duck loads, I have a bunch of HTL goose loads I got cheap a long time ago.

I shoot a sbe2 as well and just did a bunch of patterning recently, all steel, 2,3 and 4 shot, of course the 4s looked best on paper and I usually load a 4 for the first round backed up by 3s or 2s.

I had bought some kent 1 1/16th oz 4s do to nothing else available and they flat smoked the ducks I connected with.

I shot factory IC, kicks mod and factory IM, the IM was the best looking on paper but I have killed a pile of birds with the licks and the IC.

At $1.50 per round the Boss are a good value, most premium steel is that much. Hell I paid like 26 bucks for those 2 3/4 Kents, ouch!

dirkyman
Sad to say but! I don't think we have seen the top end in pricing yet.. Hard telling what things are going up to in 22. I'm really leaning on shooting the BOSS # 5s 11/2 oz 3in until i hear much different..
I'm thinking and hoping it will get me closer to my old number 6 load in lead.
Thank You for the Post hunter73

dtrkyman

WKR
Yeah I hear you on price, I may stock up on Boss while it is not too expensive, I just hate buying a bunch until I test it.

OP
Mike76

Mike76

FNG
Yeah I hear you on price, I may stock up on Boss while it is not too expensive, I just hate buying a bunch until I test it.
Yes that is a problem. I feel the same but! what I'm hearing there isn't many that are shooting the BOSS loads with many different shot guns ar doing extremely well and sounds like the full choke and improved modified are patterning and shooting extremely well.
I do understand about wanting to make sure they are going to pattern out of your shot gun before a huge purchase.. Each shotgun is different But hard to believe that much difference would be there. But again we don't know until we pattern it..

OP
Mike76

Mike76

FNG
I didn't percentage them. I can tell you that ducks within 30 yards shooting IC died when hit.
What are you shooting as far as shot guns?? If they shot that good with an IC then I-Modified or full would be killer out to and maybe a little longer then 40. Thant's what I'm looking for from close out to 40.

What are you shooting as far as shot guns?? If they shot that good with an IC then I-Modified or full would be killer out to and maybe a little longer then 40. Thant's what I'm looking for from close out to 40.
SBE 3 12 ga 28" barrell. Been shooting modified more the last month. Works wonders.

OP
Mike76

Mike76

FNG
SBE 3 12 ga 28" barrell. Been shooting modified more the last month. Works wonders.
Great as I'm shooting the SBE2 3.5 28" also.
What I have heard from Boss Manufacturing in late that the full even shoots better then the improved Modified or Modified. That improved Mod being a little tighter then Modified is even better. Then come the full in perspective. They are saying in most guns it is and shoots just great with great patterns.
Only problem is tight at 20-25 and 30 is great as it it at 40+. This is the Number 2s-3s and 3/5 loads
so with number of pellets in the number 5 load and yes smaller but still has great density it should shoot well and I'm thinking very well out to 40. Most of the time we are not shooting 40+ but when you need to you'd like to know that shot gun and loade will do what you want.. early season as you know its closer ranges then late season shooting unless of coarse you get new bird in.
I just want to be able to shoot the smaller stuff with all the extra pellets as I once done with the number 6 lead load. In full or Improved Modified I really think it can be close with that Number 5 3 inch 1 1/2oz load with that 28 inch barrel. Will be hard to believe it wont shoot well.. Pass on what ever your testing with that load shows will be well appreciated. When these new shells roll out I want to be ready to order mine as most are waiting for... Thanks Dave well appreciated and nice chatting with you... hunter 73