Bow Dilemma

jtl

FNG
I have a bow dilemma, and any input that you have would be great.

I grew up bowhunting and bought a Martin Phantom with a Fuzion Cam sometime in 2002 or so. I used that bow through high school, but then mostly rifle hunted afterwards because that is what all of my friends did. I'm looking to switch back to bowhunting now, and wondering if I should keep and upgrade a few things with the bow I already have, or buy a used bow that is newer?

I've been out of the game for a while, so I assume that bows have come a long ways but I'm not really sure what exactly I would be getting in a newer bow. I would be fine putting $200-300 into new arrows, release or whatever for the Martin I already have, or maybe spending up to $500 on a new (to me) bow. A $1,000+ Hoyt would be awesome, but just isn't in the cards right now.

It'll be a deer/elk hunting bow, and I'm not trying to win any tournaments, or shoot to 80 yards, or anything like that. I just want to be able to hunt and have a bow that will reliably work for shots up to 40 yards or so.

Thanks for any feedback or ideas!

Muley15

Lil-Rokslider
You can pick up a lot of nice used bows around $400. If you don't have the money for a new bow, there is nothing wrong with a slightly used one at 400

Pramo

WKR
I always buy used or local leftover stock bows so I can get a warranty. A good place to look is ArcheryTalk classifies but I only buy from the people who are shop owners/re sellers for a little added protection. I have bought from Scottie PA and Double Lung archery in Iowa off AT and I'm sure there are others that are good. You should be able to find a Hoyt with the RKT and maybe a Z5 cam around $400.

Don't be afraid to look at Diamond bows by Bowtech or Mission bows by Mathews either. You might be able to find a new bow in your price range as well.

When buying a used bow I would recommend using a shop so you can shoot it prior to buying or at least shoot before buying online.

OP
J

jtl

FNG
Thanks for the feedback everyone that is really helpful. Sounds like I need to start looking for a new bow.

Speeddmn

FNG
Look into a used Hoyt Charger, light bow, good all around. Brand new out the door fully ready to kill targets I spent 650. Today I am sure a good one would be in the 300-400 range.

jlmoeller

FNG
I am going to go against the crowd here. I think you should get your old bow ready to shoot as affordably as possible and use it while you save up for a better bow. This lets you hunt/shoot now, and gives you a backup bow after you purchase a newer one.

Jason Moeller

Kilboars

WKR
They make some really great and forgiving bows these days and the 2014-2015 sell for like half price now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flashmo

FNG
Shoot your old bow.

Get new strings and cables for it. Put on a more modern rest, sight, stabilizer and quiver. Get a new release. That will run $4-500. All of those parts will transfer to a new bow next season if you still think you need to upgrade.

I still shoot a 2004. Every year I evaluate whether I need to upgrade to a new one. Tunes great, hits 60yds great with a 5 pin sight. Arrows go through animals. Not broke...don't fix it.

elkyinzer

WKR
I don't say this lightly, but if you know you are going to stick with bowhunting for sure, just get a new one.

The proliferation of parallel limbs in the mid 2000's was one of the major paradigm shifts in the design of the compound. They are vastly more shootable. Honestly aside from tweaking cam and riser designs with a trend toward smoother draw cycles, there have not been many discrete technological improvements since. Just the new model year, made up tech lingo hype. Shoot as many as you can get your hands on, you'll find a used bare bow that will be a big step up for well under $500.

OR Archer

WKR
I see a lot of guys come through our shop in your same situation. When they finish getting their old bow all decked out the cost is equal to what I could of set them up with a new mid level bow which are leaps and bounds ahead of what they brought in. Same with buying a newer used bow. Lots of times they'll need new strings, modules or cams, and other various parts to get them useable.
Visit your local shop. Explain to them where you're at and your budget. They should be able to show you some accessories and even some new bow kits in your price range. One high would recommend is the Hoyt Powermax. Bare bow they're $499. Great shooting bow with good performance for a "budget" bow.