Bow String Replacement

GET-SAUM

FNG
How often should you replace bow strings? Should it be replaced by time, like how long it’s been on the bow, or by shot count? Or both?

This is a debated subject. You ask good questions. Everyone might have a philosophy, but I try to evaluate what wears out a string… Things like weather, humidity, type of shooting (indoor, target, hunting) and volume of shot all play a role. A place hot and dry is different than hot and wet. Or constantly hunting in rain. That’s totally different than indoor target season that is without dust, mud, ect. The materials also factor as well. I won’t get into what brand or material is better than others, but as an over exaggeration, a $20 string on eBay is less likely to hold up than the $150 premium string from a reputable manufacturer…some of this budget bows have some terrible strings that stretch and wear easily.

Perhaps this is a an overthinking approach, but I look at my strings and evaluate if
1) there is evidence of strech? so does it stay in time? is their peep rotation? is the draw length consistent? If I’m constantly fighting tune, timing, rotation it might be time to look at the strings, no matter when it was last changed.
2) is their fraying?
3)how dirty are they and what type of hunting have I done lately?
4) how much shooting have I done?
5)how is the bow stored when not being shot? Is it humid where I store it? Dust? Is it under max poundage? Some store the bow for extended periods with the limb bolts back out to decrease string tension

That was a long answer but I’m not one who is convinced to just “change it every x years” or change by xxx amount of shots. For me (hunting primarily, mostly dry weather) I have been able to go 2-3 years and be fine. But one bow I only get one year out of the strings, it frayed apart on me and nothing changed about my shooting environment. This is also over several manufacturers.

OP
GET-SAUM

GET-SAUM

FNG
This is a debated subject. You ask good questions. Everyone might have a philosophy, but I try to evaluate what wears out a string… Things like weather, humidity, type of shooting (indoor, target, hunting) and volume of shot all play a role. A place hot and dry is different than hot and wet. Or constantly hunting in rain. That’s totally different than indoor target season that is without dust, mud, ect. The materials also factor as well. I won’t get into what brand or material is better than others, but as an over exaggeration, a $20 string on eBay is less likely to hold up than the $150 premium string from a reputable manufacturer…some of this budget bows have some terrible strings that stretch and wear easily.

Perhaps this is a an overthinking approach, but I look at my strings and evaluate if
1) there is evidence of strech? so does it stay in time? is their peep rotation? is the draw length consistent? If I’m constantly fighting tune, timing, rotation it might be time to look at the strings, no matter when it was last changed.
2) is their fraying?
3)how dirty are they and what type of hunting have I done lately?
4) how much shooting have I done?
5)how is the bow stored when not being shot? Is it humid where I store it? Dust? Is it under max poundage? Some store the bow for extended periods with the limb bolts back out to decrease string tension

That was a long answer but I’m not one who is convinced to just “change it every x years” or change by xxx amount of shots. For me (hunting primarily, mostly dry weather) I have been able to go 2-3 years and be fine. But one bow I only get one year out of the strings, it frayed apart on me and nothing changed about my shooting environment. This is also over several manufacturers.
Thank you for your insight. I appreciate all the information and I’ll keep it in mind when I look to replace my string

axeforce6

WKR
Your string will tell you. If it is streching and you have to add a twist or every once in awhile. Change it. If it's fraying/fuzzy. Add some wax and see how well it took it. And after several shots its fuzzy/fraying. Change it.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
There are lots of correct answers based on the materials used, environmental conditions, performed maintenance and amount of use.

But....to generalize, I replace string sets when:
  • You lose poundage. >1-2 pounds after initial settling.
  • Your ATA measurement opens up 1/4" or more after initial settling.
  • You have a severed strand.
  • You have extreme fraying.
  • You have end loop serving failure or extreme wear. I will replace my own center and string stop servings when needed, but never end loops.
  • If large swings in temperature change your tune/ATA measurements (indicates poor quality materials)
I only use the highest quality materials from reputable custom builders, so the following "time" recommendation is based on that.

I will shoot a string set on my primary bows for 2 years max before changing it. But, I'm a high volume shooter. 10,000+ arrows per year.

In my dry climate (Colorado), for a lower volume shooter, you could definitely go 3-4 years with a premium string set if none of the above trigger a string change.

I usually get a new bow or two per year. But, the ones I love and keep, I'll only change the strings on them every 4-5 years if I'm not putting many arrows through them.

MattB

WKR
Changing can be either be due to time or cycles. I do not shoot too much so I usually change every 2-3 years but some guys should change yearly (or if damaged). Think of a bit like an oil change: x miles or y years.

As some alluded to above, if you’ve had your string/cables for a while and they start to creep (what some other errantly called stretch), it is probably time to make a change

Last edited: