Bow troubles, really need some advice please.

jonnyjard

FNG
Morning all,

So fairly new to archery and i just wanted some input before I go off the deep end here.

I bought a brand new Elite Basin bow 6 months ago. I probably have cycled 200 arrows through it. Was at the range 4 weeks ago and had a weird fire where the string came completely off the cams ending my day. Took the bow home, got everything put back together then took it into the shop where i bought it from just to have them go over it.
Immediately buddy says I dry fired it, to which I responded no and explained the event that happened when the string came off the cams. I leave the bow with them for 3 weeks to inspect it, adjust the draw weight and also ask that they put on a Garmin A1i. Come back to pick up my bow after my 3 weeks away at work expecting it to be ready to go. they ordered the wrong site, no big deal. Buddy starts chirping my bow a bit, asking why im putting such a nice site on a cheap bow then goes and asks where i got it from. i'm taken back by this as over the last 6 months i've spent about $2000 in bows for myself and my daughters (got her a Genesis) plus all the gear to go with them. So after telling him this, starts immediately back peddling and says it's the last one they brought in and don't sell them. When they sold it to me, they were raving about how good it was and that everyone on the "East Coast" hunt with them, most popular bow over there.
So anyway, i'm very patient and understanding that people miss stuff, no biggie, leave the store assuming it's all dialed/ready to go.
Hit the mountain for opening day, have a buck 30 yards from me, draw on it and miss big time, arrow gone forever... Take the bow to the range, cycle about 10 arrows through the bow to start adjusting the sites and the last shot ends up blowing the arrow up in the arrow rest, destroying the arrow rest completely.
I am 100% NOT dry firing this thing, I'm super meticulous with my gear, no matter what it is. So my question before I absolutely loose my mind over this, is i'm basically looking for input into what you guys think is going on here.

OP
jonnyjard

jonnyjard

FNG
Pics

Attachments

• IMG_2694.jpeg
    IMG_2694.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_2691.jpeg
    IMG_2691.jpeg
    403.6 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_2692.jpeg
    IMG_2692.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 199

gman82001

WKR
You didn’t shoot it and get it sighted in you thought it was good to go when you left the store?

TxxAgg

WKR
Probably more than one thing going on here.

First thing I'd do is buy new arrows and bare shaft at least two. Then shoot, shoot, and shoot. The dialing in is up to you.

(Also, if you are torquing your bow arm too much, you can get the strings to fly off the cams upon release. I'd work really hard on form and turn the pounds back so the bow is easy to draw and hold)

wapitibob

WKR
Strings don’t come off cams unless grip torque derailed, dry fired (broken nock can cause it), or it’s in a bow press.
Get some instruction from the shop.

OP
jonnyjard

jonnyjard

FNG
You didn’t shoot it and get it sighted in you thought it was good to go when you left the store?
Yes, I assumed they’d do that in the store range they did when they put it together, so I accept that’s on me 100%.

What is the condition of the arrow from the first time it derailed?

That arrow did have a point on it correct? I have almost done that a few times, shoot one by accident without a point. A little nock pinch with no point weight is gonna make an arrow do stupid things at the shot. I can't figure out how the back of the shaft could have smacked the rest that hard, which is what appears happened to me.

Could be arrow was damaged, then you shot it and it snapped.

Could be you are torquing the ever living shit out of the bow.

Bows with really shallow cams tolerate less torque...but you'd have to be torquing it bad to derail the strings twice. When you go back to the bow shop this time, have someone there watch you shoot after you get your bow back up and running. Basically your bow hand should be very loose when you release. Like not applying any pressure side to side on the grip at all. If it's not that, I don't know what to think other than not being fully nocked or having a cracked nock.

Marble

WKR
Yes, I assumed they’d do that in the store range they did when they put it together, so I accept that’s on me 100%.
Keep in mind when a bow is sighted in, it is sighted in for that person sighting it in. Not for someone else. It should be close, but never zero.

So even if the shop sighted it in, you would need to do it also. This is why stops don't sight bows in for people. They will get them close at 10 yards or so, but not anywhere near what it takes to go and hunt.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

BTLowry

FNG
I would be willing to bet you are torquing the grip bad if the string is coming out of the groove on the cam.

Another thing to consider, if I torque my bow I will miss right or left (mostly left). Further the distance, the more off it will be. Inconsistent anchor points can lead to hitting low or high. Lots of variables

I would find a shop that had lessons and pay for some instruction
It will do wonders for you and your daughter to spend some time with someone who can coach you

Does not matter if you bought the most expensive bow on the market, you will have a hard time ever getting proficient if your form is not right and the bow is not adjusted to you

Spend the year practicing and try again next year