Bowhunting handgun

Lamb

FNG
I am looking to carry a ccw handgun while out scouting/hunting outside of bowhunting deer season in socal. I've had some weird run-ins solo off trail and I want to make sure I always come back to the truck at the end of the day.
I'm looking at buying either a g19 or a g29. I plan to try and find a range where I can rent a 29 to see if it is too much in the small package but I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion. Obviously right now I'm not in bear country but a few years from now I will likely start going into bigger country and I feel like the 29 may save me another purchase.

Go with the 19 now and wait and see on the 10mm at a later date? What about a g48 assuming I can find one off roster without paying with my right hand? Easier to carry, less weight, and the same capacity in ca. Anyone have a suggestion for a better or lighter carry gun/caliber I'd love to hear your opinion. 9mm rounds are obviously cheaper but will that be offset by just buying the one gun vise a second a year or two from now?

Why ccw? Because I don't want to hike around people in socal with my sidearm out and because by the end of the year I should be approved.

My concerns in order:
1. Reliability
2. Weight
3. Cost

Appreciate your thoughts.

Im not certain what the current capacity pistol magazine capacity in CA is, but id look at the 19 or the 43. 43 is incredibly lightweight, slim, and should conceal slightly easier than the 19.

Sig 365XL for me - light and easy - very accurate with sig ammo too for such a small gun. You don't even notice it's there but you have it if you ever need it.

ElPollo

WKR
The 365XL is a nice compromise in capacity, weight, thickness and overall shootability. It’s also red dot ready. Those G20/29s are thicc gals and a full mag of 180-200 gr ammo makes them decidedly not light. My personal opinion is that they aren’t in black bear country, and a 9 mm will do what you need. But get what you like, what you are willing to carry and what you shoot well.

Jbehredt

WKR
Both of your options are guns a man should own so it’s just a matter of which you buy first. 29 is a great woods gun. 19 for range/edc/nightstand duty.

I’m far more concerned with people than animals. When I go to CA, I do tend to carry bigger calibers because if I can’t have as many, they might as well be bigger. I carry either a commander size Dan Wesson or an M&P45c 2.0, both in 45 ACP. Standard magazines for either are no more than 10 rounds.

Never liked the sub compact glocks. 19 or 48 if you can get it would be my pick.
I don’t shoot small guns worth a damn. Every once in a while, I might want to shoot something more than 10 or 15 yards and having a larger gun that fills my hands makes it a lot easier.

Rob5589

WKR
California limits your choices. Unless you bought standard mags a few years ago during freedom week, your stuck with 10 rounds. The 19 is a great carry choice, I carried a 23 for a short time. The 29 of course will be gtg as well. I currently have a 20 and have aiwb but, it's really an owb gun. Either will do what you need it to do. Just remember, ccw or not, no firearms while bowhunting in CA.

FGC, section 4370(a) states that “a person taking or attempting to take deer during such archery season shall neither carry, nor have under his or her immediate control, any firearm of any kind.”

I always wished Glock would take the G37 (45 GAP) and adapt the grip to accept 45 ACP and 10mm. Basically, a G17 size gun with a 10-round capacity in 45 or 10mm.

OP
L

Lamb

FNG
Thanks for all the answers. @robb5589 I checked with fish and game and the no firearm rule is specifically for archery in pursuit of deer. I appreciate the heads up though. Given that I can only have 10 round mags what do you think of the g48 vs the g19? The 48 would cost a lot more since it is off roster but there is some weight savings. And as @JPeters218 said above if the rules change I can get 15 round mags for it.

@ElPollo I think you are right. But the cheap bastard in me wants to do it with one gun since it'll be cheaper in the short run. I think 9mm will be fine until I go outside the state and that's at least 2 years away so I should stick there.

@MeatMissile that's one reason I was thinking the 10mm. Worried about the smaller frame being a little tougher to control though.

@jbrehedt noted. I got some catching up to do.

Rob5589

WKR
I've not handled a 48 but, I wouldn't pay the off roster premium over a 19 anyway. The 19 is a solid gun all around.

There are very good reasons why the G19 is so popular..its so universal and plenty potent, even on black bears with the right ammo..like the BB Outdoorsman 147gr hardcast or a bonded +P 135-147gr jacketed bullet. Thats what I carry during archery season in black bear country. Nothing wrong with a officers/lightweight commander model 1911 in 10mm either.

Elk2008

Lil-Rokslider
Glock 20 is a great gun. I’ve packed one for years bowhunting and hardly notice it’s there. The 29 would be great as well. Gun shoots good too.

Maki35

WKR
I would get the G29. But If you're new to handguns get the G19. It will also be lighter than a G29 to carry. 10mm has a lot more recoil than 9mm. if you're a new shooter you're probably not going to like it the recoil from 10mm especially in bear loads. just saying.

Last edited: