Bows "losing zero" ?

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
I've had that issue with my spott hogg dial. It would internally move and not lock when I shot. They fixed it asap but I've learned to mark everything with a silver sharpie

Tahoe1305

WKR
What evidence do you have to support this?
Not me. And not empirical evidence. But, a bullet drops less at altitude vs sea level (a fair amount too), planes fly faster, golf balls fly further. It would make sense an arrow would be a tad more efficient too. Less air density.

I have seen a slight increase at altitudes (I live at 7500 and have a cabin at 9500). I’m two inches high at the cabin. I bet I’d be 6” high coming from sea level or so.

Not that I believe in sight tapes. But my bow chronos at 280fps with my arrows. I was pretty surprised that the 295fps sight tape was the correct one. Also possible evidence of altitudes effect on drop.

Tilzbow

WKR
In my opinion the most important measurement to take is the distance of the center of the peep from the nock (top of your loop) along with marking your nock position on a bow square. Check nock height with bow square then peep height from that and you’ll know immediately if your peep moved.

For marking sights, rests, cam timing, limb bolts, etc., I use white fingernail polish. It stays on permanently but wipes off easily and completely with acetone. If you ever change something it’s easy to make new marks with fingernail polish and I’ve had sharpies leave residue behind from old marks.

Back to the peep, a properly tied in peep shouldn’t move and I’ve used nearly every method out there but after having my peep move around just before leaving for a hunt in early August I modified the method I’ve been using recently by stacking the serving on each side of the split string to lock it in. You can find how to do this via a Levi Morgan video on YouTube but I don’t think he stacks the serving like shown in my picture.

IMG_2791.jpeg

Last edited:
In my take Gillingham's method really is the best for tying in a peep. I don't get why the string needs to be served above and below, pinching the peep, just tie the actual peep in.
Then a few knots down each bundle, it's not gonna move.

I have also seen a couple times guys have issues, mostly with tune after travel. Broadheads suddenly going way left, or way high. These are high level shooters, but fatigue from travel, first day rushing out to shoot and checking stuff, something is off. I can shoot their bow and things are fine, turns out they are doing something.
So be careful rushing to change things unless you need to. I think it's more common that a peep slips, and rests and sights can move, but shooter input changes stuff too.

My 3d and hunting bow both have a bunch of fingernail polish on stuff. Just like scope rings, mounts, and lug nuts, witness marks are a quick double check.

20230623_193946.jpg

Gillingham's method on peep.

IdahoHntr

WKR
I know MBG isn’t necessarily spot Hogg durable, but I hunt some nasty stuff with my bow taking more than a few hits and I have not had to touch my MBG 3 pin slider in the last 3 years other than initial sight-in when shooting different weight arrows. It’s been more than solid. It’s not an issue with the type of sight.

Marking everything on your bow and measuring your peep is the key here. Love easy dummy checks to make sure my gear is still on. If you ask me, archery is almost half confidence. If you don’t trust your setup, you’re not going to shoot well, whether it’s on or not.

Gillingham's method for peeps is rock solid, that fixed my movement issue. My bow just did 3700 miles in the truck, 6 miles on the mountain bike, and 66 miles on foot. I fell HARD 4 times with the bow, once the bow went flying about 6 feet and landed on the sight.

Just checked it at home, poi is exactly the same as before i left, broadheads and field points hit together. Tommie hogg, gas camo ghost strings, raptor peep. I basically do my bow screws the same as Forms scope ring process.

With my mbg I think it was kinda normal to need some amount of tweaking after identical trips.

Colobwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I just got home from a week in the mountains and my first few shots at 50 were about 4” high. Next round I really focused on my eye/peep alignment and fixed the problem. Not shooting for a week and putting on lots of miles things feel different. I’d check yourself first usually that’s my fix not the equipment.

3Esski

FNG
scratching in or marking with a sharpie the locations of moving parts is always a good idea. I also put a rubber washer between my bow and sight plate, a bike inner tube works great. the rubber seems to help absorb a little of the bumps that happen, or atleast it feels like a good idea in my mind.

In my experience with several manufacturers, it's not if but when your bow will lose/shift zero. There are so many adjustable parts of a compound and any of which can shift sometimes randomly. Environmental conditions like rain/cold/heat can also introduce variation into your zero. Subtle imbalances in cam timing/string tension/rest contact all can have an impact, especially with broadheads. Stump shooting throughout a hunt is a great way to keep confidence high as well as marking your adjustment points.

rclouse79

WKR
I was scratching my head a couple times at the indoor range with my spot Hogg triple stack. I realized the lock lever for the windage adjustment came unlocked giving the whole sight a lot a play, resulting in higher impacts and bigger groups. After the second time I took the lever off and snugged up the Allen screw. After I get my windage set I never adjust it, but keep an Allen wrench in my pack just in case.

MattB

WKR
I have also seen a couple times guys have issues, mostly with tune after travel. Broadheads suddenly going way left, or way high. These are high level shooters, but fatigue from travel, first day rushing out to shoot and checking stuff, something is off. I can shoot their bow and things are fine, turns out they are doing something.
So be careful rushing to change things unless you need to. I think it's more common that a peep slips, and rests and sights can move, but shooter input changes stuff too.
I had a hunt ~10 years ago where I drove (no hard knocks on the bow) and when I got to camp and shot my arrows with FBBH's were hitting 6"+ left at 40 yards. I moved the rest and re-sighted and all was good. Killed at 38 yards on that hunt. Got home, and my BH's were hitting ~6" right at 40 yards. I still have no explanation for what the heck happened but I shot a bunch at both places and my POI moved and then moved back. Some aspects of archery are alchemy.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Anyone ever shoot a bludgeon point or small game point into dead logs or blowdown? I was thinking about adding one to my quiver for grouse, figure it would be a good way to check in the field.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Last edited: