Bowtech Deadlock screws seized

The screw steel they use seems very soft. I am aware of other folks with the same issue. I think I have been through two summers with the Reckoning.

I don't think a torx would solve the issue because the issue is the worm drive starts to get resistance and I'm some cases seizes, and the lock screen seems to seize as well. So the heads strip out trying to work through the resistance or break the seize. The heads stripping seems to just be a symptom of the real issue.

I wondered if the cam load on the threads would wear them, it's less surface bearing than an axle shaft. It could be the threads are wearing into each other a little and flat spotting.

Could be something all together different as well.

I was using new T-handle hex drivers on the cams that stripped. So I don't think it was worn tools or user error.

My shop did mention a tweak in the deadlock design this year. I haven't compared yet.
I think they just changed some of the material and components a little for harder metals that didn't strip as easy. I have a Reckoning with new cams, and they look the exact same as the last set. I did not pay for labor, only new cams. I have a good relationship with my dealer as well.

(dry fired on a draw board, my fault,)

ncavi8tor

WKR
I have also noticed that the Deadlock screws are soft medal. I've only adjusted mine a couple of times, but noticed the screw head slots deforming already. Some have said it helps to press the bow and take pressure off of the cams before adjusting which defeats the purpose of the system. This is a weakness in the system that I hope they fix.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

In my experience in construction and wrenching on various things, idk why torx is not the standard for everything yet. Its way harder to strip out than other heads, especially an allen head

OP
540-Virginian
I called Bowtech and asked if I could buy the little lock screws to replace my stripped ones. Said I didn’t want to go to my pro shop b/c of state COVID lock downs (mostly true). They sent me two screws without hesitation for free. I replaced one easy but still working on tapping getting the stripped head one out (just being extra careful and patient so waiting for when life grants me an hour or two).

if I can’t get it out, I’ll make the drive to the shop and have them replace the lock tight system I

the experience is reminds me of changing the brake pads on a car with aluminum calipers. If the screws weren’t threaded perfectly, they stripped super easy, especially if any uneven pressure was applied.

Since all these bow parts and screws appear to be aluminum I think they are just prone to stripping if any uneven torque is applied. Maybe the bow press helps to relieve torque pressure on the cam screw (which I agree is stupid since it’s supposed to tune in the field).

I wonder why the whole cams need to be replaced. I guess the lock tight housing can just unscrew from the cam.

wapitibob

WKR
I've had that cam since they came out and move it often, when properly assembled the cam moves with light finger pressure on a short allen wrench.

Reactions: ZDR
that’s the only screw head I buy when available anymore
I called Bowtech and asked if I could buy the little lock screws to replace my stripped ones. Said I didn’t want to go to my pro shop b/c of state COVID lock downs (mostly true). They sent me two screws without hesitation for free. I replaced one easy but still working on tapping getting the stripped head one out (just being extra careful and patient so waiting for when life grants me an hour or two).

if I can’t get it out, I’ll make the drive to the shop and have them replace the lock tight system I

the experience is reminds me of changing the brake pads on a car with aluminum calipers. If the screws weren’t threaded perfectly, they stripped super easy, especially if any uneven pressure was applied.

Since all these bow parts and screws appear to be aluminum I think they are just prone to stripping if any uneven torque is applied. Maybe the bow press helps to relieve torque pressure on the cam screw (which I agree is stupid since it’s supposed to tune in the field).

I wonder why the whole cams need to be replaced. I guess the lock tight housing can just unscrew from the cam.
I agree with the aluminum thread issue. Its super weak if its thin like bolt threads are and im curious as to why its even used on connections if it doesnt need to be.. might be for cost or weight savings?

This summer i apparently slightly stripped the female threads on my Hoyt rx3 turbo where the sight mounts when i moved my black gold's position closer to my rest, i wasn't using a torque wrench foolishly cause i didn't have one on me. The bow fell over into grass and landed GENTLY on the sight a few days later and it just popped off lol. I got a helicoil kit for it, which i keep in the truck just in case but didn't have to use it, i just got some longer bolts for the sight cause i noticed the original bolts went less than halfway into the threads which is also silly. I might go ahead and use the helicoil cause im worried about only having only the bottom of the threads holding it lol. Could be an issue if i take a spill in the field. From now on i will be attempting to make sure i have bolts that at least thread close to all the way in so they hold on better, and im gonna try to keep my little torque wrench with me whenever i tinker

I agree on the all the torx comments.

One of my lock screws stripped the very first time I went to use the deadlock during paper tuning. That was with new hex tools. I actually used a T10 on that screw with success. I was able to bareshaft tune back to 40 yards using the deadlock. No press required, it was great.

The whole warranty experience would have been much more frustrating if it was needed during hunting season. The Revolt X being the nicest bow I've owned also helps.

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't had any issues with either my Revolt X or my new Solution. Or on my kids Revolt X. They have all been adjusted.

sndmn11

WKR
I've had that cam since they came out and move it often, when properly assembled the cam moves with light finger pressure on a short allen wrench.

I got the first reckoning the shop had two years ago-ish when they came out. That one was flawless until it found itself in between a two track road and my truck's tires this past season. My new one (Sept of 2020) is the culprit in this case. I think it's somewhat of a hit or miss thing which leads me to believe, like someone above mentioned, it's a compounded issue between imperfect install and a less than ideal material choice.

I'm hesitant to share but this seems relevant here too:

I talked my uncle into buying a Revolt this past fall. He decided to get one off the rack at Scheels and bring to my house to set-up and paper tune. One deadlock cam was all the way to one side and completely locked up. I couldn't even get close to tuning it. I could get better tears with my Realm and Revolt X shooting with awful form. I told him to take it back to Scheels or someone more experienced. Scheels confirmed the busted cam but didn't have any replacements. They set-up a Revolt X for him at the store and it's been great.

I'm not sure if the rack bow had been tampered with or shipped from the factory that way. Likely the former

buggz

FNG
Bowtech should send any updated components to existing customers.
I'd be willing to pay for something that is better.

Last edited: