Braised Venison Shanks

Trial153

WKR
Slow day at the office..had two whole rear venison shanks from the buck I killed during the Iowa bow season..
Braised shanks in a redwine reduction with root vegetables.
2ff85bb875980e476db669d6a7fe749e.jpg
8dbdb59aa0dfdade94b7b4048b686edf.jpg
410eeb40216e70e943364eec4859a671.jpg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Looks great. I never know what do do with that meat so it ends up burger. How do you braise something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
Looks great. I never know what do do with that meat so it ends up burger. How do you braise something?

Brown it and then cook it low and slow submerged in liquid until it breaks down. Shanks usually take 7-9 hours from my experience.

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR

Score the bottom of the shank, lots of corse salt and pepper, brown them heavy on all sides in a heavy pan with EVO. Take them out and deglaze the pan with red wine. Put your base veggies ( celery, onions and carrots and garlic ) in your dutch oven, little more oil. Add the shanks back in with the pan stock. Add a More wine and bit of any stock you have till the shanks are half covered. More salt and pepper.
Place covered with a heavy lid in a 325 oven for three hours, turn the shanks every hour. Then put in mushrooms, more carrots and potatoes , little more liquid and give it another hour..... your done

KNASH

Lil-Rokslider
Use your Google Machine, search for Braised Portuguese Venison Shanks. I now cook my shanks this way too, much better than the former "boil all day and pick for BBQ" I made. Meathunter has a recipe IIRC. I'm crockpotting a shoulder roast right now, maybe will try that following the shank recipe next time.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Score the bottom of the shank, lots of corse salt and pepper, brown them heavy on all sides in a heavy pan with EVO. Take them out and deglaze the pan with red wine. Put your base veggies ( celery, onions and carrots and garlic ) in your dutch oven, little more oil. Add the shanks back in with the pan stock. Add a More wine and bit of any stock you have till the shanks are half covered. More salt and pepper.
Place covered with a heavy lid in a 325 oven for three hours, turn the shanks every hour. Then put in mushrooms, more carrots and potatoes , little more liquid and give it another hour..... your done

Thanks man. Hope I can remember this thread come fall! Looks delicious and great alternative to grinding it.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Thanks man. Hope I can remember this thread come fall! Looks delicious and great alternative to grinding it.

I’ll never grind another shank. They’re right up there with backstraps and tenderloins in my book. Brown them well, use some red wine to scrape the bottom of the pan and cook them low and slow. Lots of online recipes.

jfs82

WKR
Few other options

Soy sauce, chicken stock, ginger, garlic, star anise, honey, onion, chili flakes (if you want spicy)... whatever veggies appeal to you... Shanks are great meat if you put the time in.

chipotles in adobo, garlic, orange juice, oregano, salt/pepper, cider vinegar, cumin, onion, bay leaf, pilsner style beer, not spicy chile powder, brown sugar.

Looks awesome. Shanks have been a favorite in our house for the last 5-6 years... I'll never leave/grind them again!

A little new to the meat processing part, what meat do you consider the shank? The muscle groups right around the leg, not including what would be considered gluteus muscles (rump)

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
A little new to the meat processing part, what meat do you consider the shank? The muscle groups right around the leg, not including what would be considered gluteus muscles (rump)
No part of the round at all, in simplistic terms picture the knee down.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved

When I find a thread I want to refer to in the future (access on my phone) I hit the 3 dots in the upper right corner of my screen and share it to my email address then transfer it to a folder in my email app.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
When I find a thread I want to refer to in the future (access on my phone) I hit the 3 dots in the upper right corner of my screen and share it to my email address then transfer it to a folder in my email app.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
thanks man! good tip

Looks awesome. I've been pressure cooking all the tough cuts. Tastes fantastic, but I'm going to try your method next. Just presents so appetizing!

Check out the MeatEater Recipe for Shank Adobado. I'll never grind another shank in my life.

I've done that one. The flavor is GREAT but I can't fully tame the heat. I've even strained the chipotle chiles in adobo sauce and reduced the peppers in half. Hot foods don't bother my wife, normally, but that sauce is too much for her.

I learned with that recipe to add a little bit of the sauce to the meat prior to eating. Don't smother it.