Britchen or cruppers?

Back in 74 I was examining a gold property in the Absaroka wilderness for the gov. We were in about 10-15 miles and had come down a steep trail for about 2 miles. At the bottom was a creek crossing. When my partners pony bent down for a drink, all of the tack slid down the neck and left my partner sitting in the creek and a bare horse.

Years later I was riding my own stock and a similar event occured with my father. I'm a little dense at times but I made the decision at that point to set my saddles up with britchen. This was about 1980 and the cowboys prefered cruppers. I figured since all my stock packed that having them used to britched made more sense.

I don't see many horses in the woods but when I do they all have naked butts. The chest collars center the saddle going up but eventually you have to come down.

I'm just curious as to thoughts on this.

rayporter

WKR
i like to break them to both.

since the crupper is easier to leave on the saddle and put on that is what i use most on my riders.

I was on a ride in August this year, mine and my wife’s saddles both kept sliding forward coming down, 3 other horses we were with had no issues using cruppers. I ordered britchen for each of us since I plan to also pack off our saddles for awhile. I set mine up with clips so it’s easy to add on when I need it that day and if just flat riding I can take it off.

rayporter

WKR
biothane is good stuff!

every animals back is different and every saddle is different. i just like the insurance of a crupper. we have owned flat backed animals that absolutely required something to hold the saddle. a tight rear cinch helps a lot in holding a saddle in place.

Ouzel

FNG
I use both, cruppers mainly for my horses and britchens for my mules, although if someone shows up for a mule ride with a bare saddle, I will throw a crupper on their saddle.

A crupper has a benefit that often gets overlooked is, a horse or mule that is crupper broke has more patience and less likely to bolt when they inevitably get a lead rope or lariat under his tail at usually the most inopportune situations.

just my .2 cents.