Broadhead report from the past week

In the past week i've shot deer using IW Single Bevels and Magnus Black Hornet. And both get my seal of approval. I'm throwing 550g arrows at 285 fps.

Black hornets fly great and are tolerant to your bow being out of tune(i've fixed this problem). I shot them into my broadhead target A LOT. I sharpened the blades using the innovative outdoorsman grey guide for double bevel broadheads. They sharpened up very easily. I took them to a 8k grit polish so they were mirror like edges. First deer I took was a 5 yard shot. The broadhead zipped through without hitting any major bones and the exit hole staying open. the blood trail was very easy to follow but i saw the deer fall within 50 yards. The arrow stuck in the ground a few inches. The blade was cleaned off and inspected. There was a little bit of edge chatter/roll on one small section of blade but was still very sharp so it went right back in the quiver as my "last arrow"

Shot a button buck at 53 yards with the IW SB. Not sure if I yanked it or the deer move post arrow firing, but I spined it on that shot. that SB basically shattered the vertabrae and passed through. Blade doesn't appear to have taken any damage but I haven't cleaned it yet to check post shot sharpness/blad integrity.(*update-I cleaned and checked over the blade. it has zero edge chatter, rolling or signs of damage. Still razor sharp and can be re-used on another deer) Got down and used the previously shot black hornet to finish the job. The Black Hornet passed through no issues and finished the job

Shot another doe at 35 yards with the IW SB. The SB did a full pass through. I would say it could be called a double lung heart shot, but the heart was barely grazed. Not enough cut on it to claim significant damage. BUT I did get teh sweet S shaped cut and that doe had no idea what happened. She mostly jumped because after teh arrow zipped through her, it fully imbedded itself into a tree root which made a loud thud. She jumped about 20 yards away and was looking over her shoulder trying to figure stuff out. She saw the rest of the herd start to run off and blood loss got the better of her ~7 seconds post shot impact

I highly recommend both broadheads. The Black hornets are definitely on the more affordable side.

Last edited:

Fullfan

WKR
Good review, I have shot both at elk. Don't expect any warrantee for the IW crew. Magnus is another story.
I had a IW where the bleeder was loose, was told don't worry. Well for 33.00 each I do worry.

Had a Black Hornet that I could not get to spin true, contacted Magnus. they said send us that head, so I did and received 3 new ones.

I love the black hornet serrated heads only reason I quit shooting them was to give iron wills a try and have been very happy with them as well I don’t think you can go wrong with either. I shoot almost the same arrow weight and speeds no great stories with the magnus but have broke the y of the scapula on a 5 year old whitetail with the wides and got a full pass through on a frontal shot on another big whitetail with the standard vented heads last week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D
I love the black hornet serrated heads only reason I quit shooting them was to give iron wills a try and have been very happy with them as well I don’t think you can go wrong with either. I shoot almost the same arrow weight and speeds no great stories with the magnus but have broke the y of the scapula on a 5 year old whitetail with the wides and got a full pass through on a frontal shot on another big whitetail with the standard vented heads last week

I skipped the serration because the grooves just can't be sharpened. But the steel on the blades is fairly decent. I think they probably fly as well as they do because they are stubby and vented which gives them less surface area to steer the arrow with.

I've never had an issue with penetration(thats what she said). So slowing down my arrow with cutting diameter was what I wanted to do so I was going to shoot IW Wides this year but I think my arrow speed combined with the fletchings I'm using were not a good match. So I'll probably be shifting to the IW fletchings or a 4 fletch version of what I currently have