Broadhead weight

This is actually a specialty of mine, including a bunch of animals getting whacked with adult arrows on my you tube channel.

You will not be able to run 150 broadheads, consistently on a 400 spine arrow. Most shops underspine folks, to get the speed, speed, SPEED going. They are lower GPI. Field points are liars.

Hit system is the absolute WORST thing ever made for hunting. It is literally floating inside the shaft unsupported. I have a friend who tore the front of 6 shafts from where the broad head “was” to the Hit, which left still attached to the broadhead. He spent a bunch of money on arrows, doesn’t hunt a ton, this was over a couple years, on heavy bone impacts, on pigs, 5 of them at night, when shot placement can vary....! (animals have a lot of bones apparently). I’ve torn one on a small pig who pole vaulted my 1,035 grain FMJ DG on a “texas heart shot that exited his sternum”
I will now provide a solution.

You want 300 spine arrow, choose your flavor except for anything with a HIT and I forgot, FMJ’s are garbage..maybe I didn’t mention they are not good. Either go aluminum or don’t.

Here’s how you can tune them. Bare shaft, nock tune, at 10 yards or so.

The HIT system is garbage?? How exactly?

Use a strong bonding material for the insert and you're just fine.

You may not like them-thats fine. But for a small diameter shaft that doesn't require some garbage outlet that doesn't spin well, the 5mm Eastons are top notch. Have shot Axis for years, and will continue to do so.

Because 7 failures on short shots is unacceptable. We tore broadheads out of pigs (live hunting shots) doing testing and interestingly mechanical broadheads lead the pack. I am 100% convinced, its the animals jumping the string and they are moving at impact allowing the arrow to lever. Mostly because 100% of animals, have jumped, on video.

Then.....we have wads of animals with multiple different standard inserts that cover the end. Brass, Alumimum, steel insert and sleeves, straight steel, you name it - about 90% of the time we have "manserts" 100 grain insert plus another 50-100 grains by adding screw ins behind the inserts. Then, because I am not perfect, we have some hard impact shots (because animlas have bones) these shots were 500 to 1,000 grains on pigs, No failures. Oh, sure, yeah, we've bent some inserts, just not had an arrow stop completely and get it back, full length, with 1/2" of the end torn missing the insert and broadhead. The Hit failed, levered on impact and tore out - 2,5" of penetration max. Pigs actually like the Hit system. Their survival rate increases...

I am not smart but 7-0 = Garbage. From what we've seen, I am not risking the few shots I get a year to that.
It's ok man. If they work for you, send me pictures. We can still be friends and since I am gender confused, here in 2019, you can't judge me!!
:p

RF Out

Because 7 failures on short shots is unacceptable. We tore broadheads out of pigs (live hunting shots) doing testing and interestingly mechanical broadheads lead the pack. I am 100% convinced, its the animals jumping the string and they are moving at impact allowing the arrow to lever. Mostly because 100% of animals, have jumped, on video.

Then.....we have wads of animals with multiple different standard inserts that cover the end. Brass, Alumimum, steel insert and sleeves, straight steel, you name it - about 90% of the time we have "manserts" 100 grain insert plus another 50-100 grains by adding screw ins behind the inserts. Then, because I am not perfect, we have some hard impact shots (because animlas have bones) these shots were 500 to 1,000 grains on pigs, No failures. Oh, sure, yeah, we've bent some inserts, just not had an arrow stop completely and get it back, full length, with 1/2" of the end torn missing the insert and broadhead. The Hit failed, levered on impact and tore out - 2,5" of penetration max. Pigs actually like the Hit system. Their survival rate increases...

I am not smart but 7-0 = Garbage. From what we've seen, I am not risking the few shots I get a year to that.
It's ok man. If they work for you, send me pictures. We can still be friends and since I am gender confused, here in 2019, you can't judge me!!
:p

RF Out

My 75 grain HIT inserts as part of 525 gr arrow setups have worked flawlessly on animals for me for years. If pigs r jumping your shots-you need to find a quieter bow or not take shots at turned on animals.

Last edited:
Honest opinion, you are better off keeping that way. IMO FOC doesn't quite reach the level of a fad, but it's not far off.

IMO says a lot man.
Stay Tuned.
My 75 grain HIT inserts as part of 525 gr arrow setups have worked flawlessly on animals for me for years. If pigs r jumping your shots-you need to find a quieter bow or not take shots at turned on animals.

Excellent.
100% jumps is hard to beat. You win man. Your animals are calm.
I am glad the hits work. I just cannot accept 7 tear outs. Be cool

IMO says a lot man.
Stay Tuned.

Excellent.
100% jumps is hard to beat. You win man. Your animals are calm.
I am glad the hits work. I just cannot accept 7 tear outs. Be cool

Can't blame you for switching with your experience, I did the same when I continually had issues with outserts not staying true.

OP
RemiR7

RemiR7

Lil-Rokslider
bit Late with the response but thanks for all the input. As much as I know I probably need to bump up in spine I’m on a budget for an elk hunt and trying to avoid the cost of buying all new shafts and testing those out. I ended up throwing some 125gr field points on and could not get them to fly worth a shit at all just shooting in the yard 20/30 yards. I’m going to try the iron will footers and take a half inch off the shaft and put a longer wrap on in hopes to stiffen the shaft with the extra weight on upfront. If that fails well new shafts it is. Thanks for the responses.

If you bought a dozen iron will footers you could have almost bought a dozen stiffer spined arrows for that money. I ran your existing set up through the calculator and it is maxed out in the red for weakness. As is your way to weak already I’d return those footers and get stiffer arrows or now you’ll end up with stiffer spined arrows and footers that won’t work on them.

Attachments

• D92498EC-8E85-41C8-9649-12BC0C5EF88F.png
    D92498EC-8E85-41C8-9649-12BC0C5EF88F.png
    439.6 KB · Views: 15

Elkhntr08

WKR
FOC is just part of the equation, but it’s in fashion now, so that’s all you hear. Arrow spine is the best starting point, then build from there. Decide on a target weight. Look at your shaft length and you can choose the spine and gpi. None of this will matter if the arrow won’t tune.
I’m shooting the 5mm FMJ with the BAR and V100 Iron Will or ViperTrick and NEVER had a failure with the system.

With 70 lbs your DL and length arrow in 400 spine with standard insert and 100 grain point and 25 grain collar you would have to cut the arrow at 22 inches to be optimal.
The 340 would be ok for standard insert 100gn point and collar, with a 50gn insert your right at 453 total weight and the pointer on the scale is at 10 o’clock still ok but starting to get on the weaker end of scale.
The picture with 340 spine is standard insert 25 grain collar and 100 grain point

Attachments

• 88C43224-4ADB-4949-A9AC-3333264A026A.png
    88C43224-4ADB-4949-A9AC-3333264A026A.png
    551.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 01C1A69D-D630-4824-A33C-28B137E7B05C.png
    01C1A69D-D630-4824-A33C-28B137E7B05C.png
    441.9 KB · Views: 10