Browning BXR Bullet "Lead" or "Copper"?

Does anyone know if these bullets are lead or Copper? I've looked all over and have only read that the tip is a Copper/Polymer material, but nothing on what the actual bullet is made of? Any help would be great! Thanks

according to this article which tested the ammo, it is copper jacketed lead core

here is a clip from the article
Also, the BXR tip is a lot longer/deeper and so, compared to a ballistic-tip-type, it has a 48% impact area compared to that of 22%; a semi-pointed bullet has less than 10% impact area to initiate the bullet expansion.

What this means is that the initial expansion of the bullet is started quicker and more uniformly, so the bullet's jacket starts to retreat and peel back, followed by the softer lead core to form the characteristic mushroom shape of a lead cored bullet. The tip is usually disintegrated or pushed within the front half of the bullet, expanding to twice its size to increase the surface area and thus wound channel to create large hydrostatic shock, and hence energy transfer. The rear section of the BXR remains intact to push the bullet forward and continue the penetration.

Midway lists it but it doesn't come up under their "lead free" ammo search. While not definitive, it suggests a lead core.

This brings up a good question, if a lead bullet’s construction is Indistinguishable from an all-copper one, how is a lead ban enforced? Compare this bullet to the Norma EcoStrike.

On a live shell? They routinely do this?

I ran into a guy a couple years back who had a bullet cut in half and claims a warden did it. Whether it’s 100 percent the truth I don’t know, I wasn’t there to witness it. But it wouldn’t be nothing to shear a bullet in half with a small set of bolt cutters or have a small saw to cut through it. Two pairs of pliers and the bullet will come right out of the brass. I’ve encountered some really cool game wardens in California over my life and I’ve also encountered a few who would not hesitate to cut your truck in half looking for stuff. So it would not seem too far fetched to me that one would be cutting up someone’s ammo.

It's not rocket science. In a tipped bullet, I would imagine they could just yank the tip and look into the hollow point.

Not a matter of it being rocket science. Do they reimburse you for the destroyed property? EcoStrikes in 9.3 x 62 are almost 3$ a round. How many should I expect the lead police destroy to be satisfied?

we are on the honor system for the most part. the vast majority of hunters will comply. there are always jerks in the field that don't care and will cheat. but that's another thread. (example: the guy who sits on the same water hole the whole season and yells at everyone who walks up)

Game wardens will ask to see the ammo box. in my case i hand load all my hunting rounds so that would not be an option. they should question and ultimately could confiscate and pull bullet and cut with a bolt cutter if they had cause to do so or if they just wanted to... i guess. they could also use a handheld XRF detector that could detect Pb. A cheap one is $15k so its doubtful game and fish or fish and wildlife have that in the field too. they are not all that well funded.

I know this is an old thread, but it’s new to me. These bullets fly extremely well out of a 300WSM Browning BAR

Back