Browning hells canyon speed or long range?

Tsarbomba

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly, was kinda thrown for a loop today. Went to cabelas today and handled both hells canyon speed and LR in 300wm. OMG that bolt throw! I liked it so much so, I was abouut to buy it right then and there, if it wasnt for my 4 year old daughter needing to use the restroom and then crying walking back to rifle counter. That said, I like the 1/8 twist on LR, but at almost a pound more, not sure I want to go that route. Will be mounting a swaro z3 3-10 on it. So even going with the LR over the speed, its still fairly lite for a 300wm.

Thoughts on LR over speed?

Clarence

WKR
I have a 1:10 long range and have been happy I bought it over the speed. I don't have to worry about barrel whip with the magnum, slower to heat up when shooting groups, and the little extra weight makes it a little nicer to shoot.

SOIHUNT

Lil-Rokslider
I have a long range pro in 6.5 prc and I really like it a lot I shoot factory 143’s and @ 200 .643. I going to start working on a load for it using 7828 SSC or I have Retumbo also. My vote would be to go with the pro..

Evergreen

WKR
I too have the long range in 6.5prc and I was worried about the weight also. Trust me you wont notice the extra pound!! Get the LR!!!

Mtncowboy

Lil-Rokslider
I have the speed in a 6.5 CM and I absolutely love it! It is plenty accurate enough for me!

Reactions: BCD
I recently bought a long range with the mcmillian stock in a 28 nosler. Its the heaviest rig I own aside of a weatherby accumark. Its a joy to shoot off the bench but it wont see work in the mountains. I just packed it on a river breaks coyote hunt and it wasnt too bad for that. Any of the brownings will need a trigger job for sure. The creep isnt too bad but they are quite heavy in the pull. With a replacement spring you can get it to 2lbs. And this heavier weight penalty of the long range does pay you back with 1/2" groups!

I picked up the LR last year in 300WM and put a Z5 on it. I have been really impressed with the accuracy even with factory ammo. The only downside to me is the length, and it's not really too bad. Hell, with the muzzle brake it kicks less than my Tikka .270.

I have a Speed in 30 06 and the Max Long Range in 300 win Mag. Like them both. The Speed is lighter but I can shoot the Max all day with no issues. If I remember correctly it's only 2 lb heavier. I replaced the trigger on both with a Timney. Both shoot lights out. The 30 06 is my deer rifle the 300 Win Mag my elk rifle.

I had a LR 300 win mag and still have a speed 6.5. Plan was between these, I had all my hunting covered. I don’t have the 300 anymore, would find myself leaving it and taking the 6.5. It shot great, but just to heavy (for my preferences) when you pack in/out and doing 4-6 miles a day. If you don’t do a lot of packing, it’s a great rifle. I now have the 6.5 speed and ridgeline 300 and love them both.

BCD

WKR
I have the 300 WSM Speed and it is awesome! I like the LR as well but I don't like the 26 inch barrels.

PumaR

FNG
I have the speed in 300 win mag with a zeiss hd5 3-15x42 on it. Had some initial kinks to work out but am very happy with it. Took a raghorn at 435yds in high wind this season. Does exactly what I need it to do.
What kinks did you have to figure out? Just wondering as I am thinking of getting the same rifle

Thanks

As others have said you will be happy with either one. I have a speed in 308 and love it. The m-carbo trigger spring is also a great mod for very little money.

Flyjunky

WKR
I have the long range in 300wm and it's an absolute tack driver. All this talk about being heavier, well yeah, it's the long range version. There's a reason why long range guns are heavier. If you're going to shoot long range the extra weight is a benefit and I personally don't find it heavy. I don't seem to have a problem walking up and down all day with that gun.

PumaR

FNG
Thanks for all the info, I went with the 300 wm speed, put a Leupold VX-5 HD 3-15 x 44 on it. Was lucky enough to find some ammo for it after checking every store around. Ammo situation sucks

PumaR

FNG
Anyone know when nosler trophy grade will become available? I have buddies in several states that all can’t find it. Feels off that all of a sudden you just can’t get it. I understand the issues right now with materials and logistics as I work in corporate sales that supplies goods. Which is why I feel like it’s deeper then being out of stock

LeadQ-tip

FNG
I recently bought a long range with the mcmillian stock in a 28 nosler. Its the heaviest rig I own aside of a weatherby accumark. Its a joy to shoot off the bench but it wont see work in the mountains. I just packed it on a river breaks coyote hunt and it wasnt too bad for that. Any of the brownings will need a trigger job for sure. The creep isnt too bad but they are quite heavy in the pull. With a replacement spring you can get it to 2lbs. And this heavier weight penalty of the long range does pay you back with 1/2" groups!

Hey! Old thread Just wondering if you could help a fellow Canuck out with some load data , I have the exact same gun but in LH and haven’t had much luck with my hand loads ,
Would you be so kind to tell me what bullet/load is working for you?
I have tried berger 195 with retumbo and h1000 and rl33 , rl33 seems to be the best but still not that good.
I’m ready to try another bullet .
many info would be greatly appreciated

thanks