Browning or Kimber

160andup

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to get a new .270. I've always wanted a kimber, but have heard some bad things about the recently manufactured ones. The browning X-bolt stainless stalker is a nice looking rifle too. Right now I'm leaning towards the browning because they reliably produce nice rifles... Any opinions?

Rick

FNG
That's funny! I'll answer in a couple months. I have a Kimber on order and will probably sell the Browning A-bolt it is expected to replace.

dotman

WKR
The bad Kimbers I think we're more of a few years ago issue, mine has been great, it is a 2012 model.

I'm guessing you're considering a Kimber Montana? I believe dotman is correct in that, the accuracy issues they had were more associated with the earlier models, although, I bought one when they first came out back in '05 (if my memory is correct), and it is a tack driving machine.

jwb300

WKR
I have 2 brownings that are fine rifles. I would prefer the browning over Kimbers unless you want to roll the dice. I've read a few recent examples of poor kimber performance and have seen one first hand with a new Ascent.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
I've had several kimbers that had multiple problems. I have also seen on several forums of people having problems with the newer models. The customer service at kimber sucks to put it nicely. They seem to still be having problems with firing pin springs not working correctly. I would pick a Browning over a kimber. You may want to take a look at Tikka as well. Many happy customers shooting them.

NEhunter

WKR
I had a montana a couple years ago that would not group well at all. After spending a bunch on ammo to try I sent it down the road. I have had a browning xbolt stainless stalker for about 5-6 years and it shoots most any ammo great. I was kinda hoping the more recent reviews in this thread about kimbers would have been better as I have been contemplating another roll at kimber roulette here lately.

LazyV

Lil-Rokslider
I personally suspect that many problems with Kimbers boil down to people struggle to shoot light rifles accurately. Just one mans opinion and I know that isn't always the case. I own several that people tripped because they wouldn't shoot and they all have been just fine by mine standards, i.e. Under 1MOA.

danarnold

WKR
I've had several kimbers that had multiple problems. I have also seen on several forums of people having problems with the newer models. The customer service at kimber sucks to put it nicely. They seem to still be having problems with firing pin springs not working correctly. I would pick a Browning over a kimber. You may want to take a look at Tikka as well. Many happy customers shooting them.

I was in the same boat...wanted a montana but saw too many neg reviews, ended up with a tikka t3 and glad about it

usmc99

Lil-Rokslider
I would also suggest the Tikka. Making one of the best rifles out there right now hands down. And they don't break the bank.

I have personally set up 4 Tikka's and they all shot very well, especially for the price. 3 were 300wsm and one 308; all of them settled in at well under an inch at 100yds. Best rifle out there for the money as far as I am concerned.

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking hard at the Tilkka but went the Savage route as I wanted a 300 win mag and knew I needed to put a brake on it. Tikkas are a great rifle with a very smooth bolt. My Savage is a Bear Hunter that has a brake on it as well as an Accustock which seems to be a step up from the other Savage stock offering. I have no complaints as it has very little recoil with the brake on and is also a very good shooter. It also has the internal mag which I wanted for hunting vs the external. I have owned a Browning A-Bolt in the past and it too was a good gun. I ended up getting my Savage on Gun Broker for $740 with shipping so no complaints on the cost either.

I personally suspect that many problems with Kimbers boil down to people struggle to shoot light rifles accurately. Just one mans opinion and I know that isn't always the case. I own several that people tripped because they wouldn't shoot and they all have been just fine by mine standards, i.e. Under 1MOA.

Agree with this. A buddy of mine got a great deal on a Montana .325wsm that "wouldn't group for shit". Once he worked up a good load for it, he was shooting clover leafs consistently and has since killed many animals with it.

I also agree that for the $$ it's hard to beat the T3 lite, I'm just not fond of push feeds in magnum calibers, and I'm kind of partial to 3 position safeties as well.

jlsteel

FNG
I have a 2013 kimber montana in 308. I thought it was a dud as I couldn't get it to group 1" at 100 yards when I first got it. But I improved my shooting with a light rifle and it shoots most factory ammo 1" or less now.

Kimbers are great to carry. Maybe not the rifle for the guy who doesn't enjoy tinkering with rifles and working up loads.

One of the last guns I'd ever buy is a Browning. Just don't like them.

I'd go for the Tikka T3 if you want a light gun without accuracy issues.

IMO, most guys have a bit of a flinch and with guns as light as Kimbers, that causes big groups. Heavier guns hide it.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Montana in a short mag caliber and have fought many of the same issues others have had with the Kimber short mag calibers. I don't own an X bolt but do own a 325wsm A-bolt titanium and would carry it over the Montana any day of the week. The Winchester Extreme Weather is a little heavier but also a rifle to consider. I have a Tikka that is very comfortable in hand and shoots great but they do feel like a cheaper made rifle.

jhall239

FNG
I have a Kimber Montana in 325 WSM and wouldnt take anything for it shoots less than 1/2" at 100 yards and a dream to carry,it's an '06 model
Have a Browning A-bolt in same caliber that I wont shoot at anything past 100 yards, cant get the thing to shoot less than 2" at 100
Have a Tikka that kills on both ends
My Son totes an A-bolt that is just plain riduculously accurate