Browning xbolt?

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider
Just getting into long range as a hobby. I have an x-bolt, I see a lot of tikka and Remington builds but not any x-bolts. Why is that? Has anyone ever put a custom stock or barrel on one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

manitou1

WKR
1) Most X-bolts need little, if no upgrades to be 1/2" shooters. At least mine fall in that category.
2) They were not designed to be easily rebarreled.
3) Only a couple stock makers offer after market stocks, for some inexplicable reason. Browning has sold a train load of X-bolts, but vendors have not seemed to pick up on it.

OP
BenHankins

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider
I’m very pleased with the performance of mine. Just wondering for the future and wouldn’t mind to add a custom stock. If you don’t mind me asking what are some of the custom stock dealers that you know of that make custom stocks for xbolts?

It blows me away that there are not more, I see a lot of people with xbolts. I love the design of the Mesa precision and gunwerks stocks but to my knowledge they don’t make them.

OP
BenHankins

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider
On the McMillan I’m only seeing them compatible for the a-bolt. I don’t see xbolt for any of them.

If you contact McMillan they can tell you what they have available. I looked into when I was looking at a Hells Canyon Speed and you can get a McMillan stock for one for less than the factory Hell’s Canyon w/ the McMillan already installed.

manitou1

WKR
They make the stock for the Hell's Canyon McMillen Long Range. I had one of their after market stocks but sold it as I found that I prefer a svelte hunting stock for carry and shooting.

manitou1

WKR
Well... I just checked the McMillen site and they no longer have the X-BOLT stock listed. Maybe discontinued?

manitou1

WKR
You can get an inexpensive laminate stock on stocky's for them too. Will add a little weight. I had one and it was finished nicely.

I’m very pleased with the performance of mine. Just wondering for the future and wouldn’t mind to add a custom stock. If you don’t mind me asking what are some of the custom stock dealers that you know of that make custom stocks for xbolts?

It blows me away that there are not more, I see a lot of people with xbolts. I love the design of the Mesa precision and gunwerks stocks but to my knowledge they don’t make them.

I think you'd be time and money ahead to sell the x bolt and pick up a rifle that's set up for LR precision.
What are your intended uses of your rifle?
And what cartridge are you wanting to go with?
I see Sako just released the S20 rifle which has a full aluminum chassis stock and a bunch of other great LR features

OP
BenHankins

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider
You are probably right but I get emotionally attached with a gun lol. I love my x-bolt. It’s been really good to me the past two years. Im kind of a one gun guy. This is weird but I feel bad when I leave one gun home to hunt with another but eventually I get over it.

I’m interested in having a precision rifle that I can hunt with. Needs to be around 9.5 lbs or less with bipod. Can’t decide if I want to buy an action or buy a used rifle to build off of. I have a hatch bipod and NF NX8 4-32 scope that I can put on it.

BigFaus

FNG
You are probably right but I get emotionally attached with a gun lol. I love my x-bolt. It’s been really good to me the past two years. Im kind of a one gun guy. This is weird but I feel bad when I leave one gun home to hunt with another but eventually I get over it.

I’m interested in having a precision rifle that I can hunt with. Needs to be around 9.5 lbs or less with bipod. Can’t decide if I want to buy an action or buy a used rifle to build off of. I have a hatch bipod and NF NX8 4-32 scope that I can put on it.

Ben, I have an x-bolt hell's canyon that I love. I hunt whitetail with it every year in PA. I was recently in the same place you were as I was looking to get a rifle to begin to introduce myself to the long range world. I have a hard time justifying the spend just to be able to shoot long range. I'm not sure what your budget is but I pinched pennies for a few months and saved up for a Seekins Havak as my long range shooter. I justified the purchase as I plan on using it out west over the next few years as a hunting rifle as well. Definitely a pretty great tandem so far IMHO. My hell's canyon is in a .308 win and the Havak PH2 is the new hot 6.5 PRC!

One thing I have learned though is there no wrong answer and what you want now will probably change in a few weeks/months/years. It's all trial and error. Best of luck!

I have a 300 H&H Stainless Stalker with a McMillan Game Scout on it. I love the stock and would like to put one on all my rifles, including another XBolt.

Attachments

• IMG_20190402_175721100.jpg
    IMG_20190402_175721100.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 93
OP
BenHankins

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 300 H&H Stainless Stalker with a McMillan Game Scout on it. I love the stock and would like to put one on all my rifles, including another XBolt.

I’m going to call McMillan to see if they have one available for my rifle. That’s a nice set up you have. I like the McMillan stocks as well. Wonder how much weight the McMillan stock would add over the regular xbolt Hells canyon stock?

X Bolts are great rifles right out of the box (minus the triggers). Their factory sporter stocks fit me great and I really like the perfectly flush DBM.

They just don't have the aftermarket stock, bottom metal, and gunsmith support like R700, Tikka T3, or Win M70s. They are limited by COAL in the factory magazines. There is aftermarket options to address that in r700 and Tikka platforms but i'm not aware of anything for the xbolt.

SanJuanCutthroat

Lil-Rokslider
Going through the same thing right now with my left handed X-bolt, but I am heading the lightweight route vs long range. Still undecided if I am going to jump ship entirely or double down on my single rifle commitment.

McMillan can do stocks for X-bolts, though just in a few models, and have been great to work with. I believe you can add on new bottom metal and DBM if you want, though that's adding even more to the final bill. Even in a carbon stock I think that the replacement won't be much lighter than my factory wood stock. You can definitely go heavier if that's what you're after.

In my research I also tried Grayboe and they have some interest in offering X bolt stocks, but it's not at the top of their list with no real estimated timeline. Boyds is the only other option I have found.

I’m going to call McMillan to see if they have one available for my rifle. That’s a nice set up you have. I like the McMillan stocks as well. Wonder how much weight the McMillan stock would add over the regular xbolt Hells canyon stock?

What would you gain from the stock that you dont already have? I own a couple x bolt hells canyon speeds that are 1/4 minute guns with handloads that are more then capable at long range. The only additions ive made to them has been a timny trigger and they have kills at 800 yards plus as is.

OP
BenHankins

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider
What would you gain from the stock that you dont already have? I own a couple x bolt hells canyon speeds that are 1/4 minute guns with handloads that are more then capable at long range. The only additions ive made to them has been a timny trigger and they have kills at 800 yards plus as is.

I just want to look baller of course lol look good shoot good. No I thought with the McMillan stock I might get a little more comfortable natural hand placement and better cheek placement? But seriously those McMillan stocks are awesome looking! I love my X-bolt and I will probably never get rid of it.

On that Timney trigger what pound pull did you go with?

I just want to look baller of course lol look good shoot good. No I thought with the McMillan stock I might get a little more comfortable natural hand placement and better cheek placement? But seriously those McMillan stocks are awesome looking! I love my X-bolt and I will probably never get rid of it.

On that Timney trigger what pound pull did you go with?

Lol i get what youre saying because i too want to build a custom rifle as well. I agree with you on the Mcmillan also and know theyre a quality product but i will say ive been impressed with the factory bedding job on my x bolts and feel comfortable behind them. Im right at two pounds on both of those rifles and LOVE that trigger, that is my only gripe with a factory x bolt is the stock trigger.