Budget Friendly O/U 20

I like the CZ. I have a 20 ga o/u and a 28 ga sXs. I don’t use them unless I’m hunting over a dog, but I have no complaints. I prefer an auto loader for most of my shotgun shooting.

WCB

WKR
Remember, you asked…. 😜
I would find a lightly used Citori, Beretta silver pigeon or even a Charles Daly (moriku) that will last mostly forever with rough handling... You can usually find these for $1K or less.
The Turkish and Czech imports are polished turds. Kind of like a mail order bride—they look good in pics but not worth a damn when they arrive!!! Generally weak case coloring, stamped engraving/checkering with lots of cast parts. After a couple hundred rounds, the worst will have enough slop in action and trigger mechanics to have you wishing you had followed my advice. You get what you pay for but, some are better than others! The best won’t measure up to those recommended. Good luck!
I have Red Labels, Winchester 101s, a Citori, and have shot a bunch of others. I Also, have about 1,000rds out of my 555 .410, My wife has at least that out of her 555 20ga and we bought her dad 2 555s a 20 and 28 ga (even though he has a couple CZs and more expensive O/Us) with hundreds of rounds through each...ZERO issues with any of the 555s. They open and close like the day we bought them. Unless you walk trails or old skid roads grouse/woodcock guns get the crap beat out of them....who cares if the checkering is pressed or it isn't pretty. It is a tool.

For a budget beat around grouse gun I couldn't recommend them more. They point really well for us and shoot great. Taken it into the field next to guys with guns costing 5-6x and what did their money get them? Well...I guess they "look like" they know what they are doing. I have some higher dollar and checkered, custom engraved guns...They realistic work no better or result in more hit birds because they look nice.

Ice_man

FNG
My family and myself have quite a few of the 555e models, mostly all in 20 ga and have no issues so far. Each of them have hundreds of rounds and work flawlessly. Hard to beat at the price point. I will say I had a 12 ga model and sold it due to the harshness of recoil. Fairly light gun in a 12 ga model and wasn't the most pleasant to shoot. They're nothing fancy in the o/u category but they serve their purpose very well.

TSAMP

WKR
I've got a lefty 20ga CZ O/U that has around 300 rounds through it. I found the action to be stiff, it still is. Otherwise no issues at all. I think its around 6lbs. Recently i was crossing a fence and was handed a friend's 555 and was blown away how much lighter it felt than my gun. It had 26" barrels compared to my 28 and he also got it for grouse specific hunting.

If you don't have any fancy shotguns I see absolutely no reason to start doing so with your grouse gun. Get a cheap one and beat it up. If you wear it out, you can be the guy who tells everyone buy once cry once or whatever nonsense is hot at the time. If you don't wear it out you'll end up with a inexpensive gun that you won't give a second thought to using day in and day out and spend the extra on shells.

OP
W

WoodDuck

Lil-Rokslider
Today I shouldered the CZ drake, Stevens 555, and Weatherby Orion. All 3 are a little long for me in LOP, which I could address after purchasing and would probably have the same issue with most O/Us on the market. The one thing I really did not like is I had to really bury my cheek to get the sight picture right. This was more so with the 555 and Drake than the Orion.

I then shouldered a Franchi Affinity and that gun came up perfect for me. As much as I’d like a nice little O/U, I’m thinking I may be better off with an Affinity or SX4 in 20 gauge as they fit me better. I’m currently shooting an SX4 in 12 gauge for waterfowl/pheasants and have had no complaints.

Appreciate all of the input here so far.

Today I shouldered the CZ drake, Stevens 555, and Weatherby Orion. All 3 are a little long for me in LOP, which I could address after purchasing and would probably have the same issue with most O/Us on the market. The one thing I really did not like is I had to really bury my cheek to get the sight picture right. This was more so with the 555 and Drake than the Orion.

I then shouldered a Franchi Affinity and that gun came up perfect for me. As much as I’d like a nice little O/U, I’m thinking I may be better off with an Affinity or SX4 in 20 gauge as they fit me better. I’m currently shooting an SX4 in 12 gauge for waterfowl/pheasants and have had no complaints.

Appreciate all of the input here so far.
I'd shoulder a franchi instinct before you make the final call

I've got the CZ Redhead AT in 20 gauge. Can't recommend enough. Cerakoted.
The only thing I do not like about CZ is the company does not sell spacers to adjust the Length of Pull.
I'm built like a giraffe and needed to increase the length of pull on my 20 gauge CZ Redhead Prem.
Fortunately, the spacers from the Winchester SX4 fit perfectly.
I bought the spacers from midwest gunworks.

Weldor

WKR
Tristar makes a good o/u , under $500 at Wallymart. Comes with a nice set of choke tubes.

OP
W

WoodDuck

Lil-Rokslider
Shouldered some more guns today and decided on a Franchi Affinity 3 with 26” barrel. Will make a great light weight, quick swinging grouse gun. As soon as there is a sale or rebate I’ll pull the trigger.

Really appreciate all of the input here! I guess I shouldn’t have put O/U in the thread title…

gerry35

WKR
Shouldered some more guns today and decided on a Franchi Affinity 3 with 26” barrel. Will make a great light weight, quick swinging grouse gun. As soon as there is a sale or rebate I’ll pull the trigger.

Really appreciate all of the input here! I guess I shouldn’t have put O/U in the thread title…
You just need to make yourself happy. Sounds like a really nice gun. Congratulations!