Budget Pack for 2-3 Nights with Child in SEAK

Recently I moved back to SE AK with my family. My oldest son just turned 10 and has passed hunter education. His present was a .22 this year.

I'm looking to bring him up into the higher elevation to chase after some Ptarmigan On the weekends before weather gets bad hopefully. I don't have much experience with packs and have always gotten whatever I could at Sierra Trading Post.

Needless to say the information is overwhelming. Any input on a BUDGET pack to carry enough gear for 2-3 days for my son and I? Resistant to the tough brush and devils club, won't soak through with a pack cover? Also could work as a pack for 4-5days and carry out some black tail deer. I only have a sportsman warehouse in town, although I do have a 175$ gift card to there that I could add another 125$ or so.

I would just buy a used K3/or K4 frame, add crib and buy a 3-5k cu in dry sack.

With that said you could do same with Kifaru or Stone Glacier

IMG_9269.jpeg
Hard to beat these for your price range at sportsmans. Same frame and materials as the hunting line except colors

OP
F
View attachment 597570
Hard to beat these for your price range at sportsmans. Same frame and materials as the hunting line except colors
Well I ordered the Terraframe 65 and unfortunately they shipped me a small and all of their Large and XL are sold out. Now I'm trying to fins something else available through sportsmans. Might end up spending a bit more than I previously wanted too.

Well I ordered the Terraframe 65 and unfortunately they shipped me a small and all of their Large and XL are sold out. Now I'm trying to fins something else available through sportsmans. Might end up spending a bit more than I previously wanted too.
The belt and yoke can be swapped to change size. Might be worth it depending on the price of other options

Lando

WKR
If getting your money back from Sportsmans is an option, you may consider looking into the Sierra Designs Flex Capacitor in the 40-60 liter or 60-80 liter sizes. The pack was designed by Andrew Skurka, who is a very well-regarded hiker first and foremost, but one who happens to hunt as well. The pack is very lightweight, but also has a unique, lightweight stay system that makes it quite good at packing weight for such a lightweight pack. Andrew used the prototype of the pack to carry out elk quarters, with a Kifaru pack as a backup and didn't ever feel the need to get the Kifaru pack out of his car for the second trip. You can deal with the water issue by doing what most backpackers do, which is to put all of the items inside your pack that need to be dry in a contractor-grade trash bag and you can throw two in your pack if you want to keep blood off your other items in the pack. The best thing is that the packs are on clearance right now for $125-150. I have two and they're so great that I sometimes leave my Stone Glacier pack at home in their favor.

Here's the hunt report referred to above:

Last edited: