Building a 6.5 PRC with a peak 44 stock

pjww805

FNG
Gents,

I've dug through this forum and others and can't quite find the definitive answer (apologies if this has been answered and I'm blind). Looking to build a 6.5 PRC with the anti-x defiance "medium" action (not the XM) and bed it in a peak 44 stock. from what I have read the medium is built off the short action platform. When ordering a peak 44 they only have 2 options, Short and Long. My question is, is the hole spacing on a Defiance Anti-x Medium the same as a short action? I've picked up a backcountry 2.0 and enjoyed the feel of the Blacktooth plus there pricing is better than a manner. From what I understand yes but want to make sure as these purchases are not cheap 😆 . Yes I'm new to putting guns together and it's a lot to take in!

Build Consists of

156 Berger (possibly reloads down the road)
XM Anti X
20" Proof Research CF Barrel
Manners Pro Hunter
Trigger Tech
Hawkins XM Bottom Metal
Hawkins lightweight rings
Thunder Beast .30 cal ULTRA 7" Can(on order)
VX-6HD 4x24(maybe an NX8)

Last edited:
OP
pjww805

pjww805

FNG
Looks like the Defiance “medium” and Wyatt’s box kit will get me what I need. Peak44 currently doesn’t make an inlet for the XM model so Medium/wyatts is the route I’ll most likely go.

OP
pjww805

pjww805

FNG
after digging deeper, ive went with the anti x XM action and Manners Pro Hunter(limited selection)

anyone ever remove the ARCA RAIL to save some weight? outside of possibly at the range i dont see myself ever using it?

Can and Stock ordered. talking with a supplier monday to get action and barrel ordered.

We have a solid gunsmith intown, do i order a prefit barrel or let him set the headspace?

khuber84

WKR
after digging deeper, ive went with the anti x XM action and Manners Pro Hunter(limited selection)

anyone ever remove the ARCA RAIL to save some weight? outside of possibly at the range i dont see myself ever using it?

Can and Stock ordered. talking with a supplier monday to get action and barrel ordered.

We have a solid gunsmith intown, do i order a prefit barrel or let him set the headspace?
It's gonna save you like 1.5oz. If you ever tried shooting off a Tripod, I bet you'd keep it in place. But yes they can be removed there are just 2 T nut/bolts that hold it on. My pro hunter indicates that anyways from looking inside the barrel channel.

I just got a custom with the Manners PH stock. The Ergos on this thing are awesome, once you get used to it (I have always had sporter style stocks). And as was already mentioned, try shooting it off a tripod before you pull the ARCA. I had the same thought initially, but now that I’ve shot with it, there’s no way it’s coming off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd let barrel blank or prefit availability determine that (mostly). The other consideration is whether your smith is just "solid" or if he's well known for building tack drivers. Be a shame to put all that effort/$ into a new build and be let down by accuracy issues. I think if you could get a prefit in short order, that's the way I'd roll.

OP
pjww805

pjww805

FNG
I just got a custom with the Manners PH stock. The Ergos on this thing are awesome, once you get used to it (I have always had sporter style stocks). And as was already mentioned, try shooting it off a tripod before you pull the ARCA. I had the same thought initially, but now that I’ve shot with it, there’s no way it’s coming off.

i was fortunate to put my hands on one in the local gun shop and was impressed. End result is to build this gun for my kids to potentially shoot in years to come and the arca rail could play a major role in that(alongside the can).

i was fortunate to put my hands on one in the local gun shop and was impressed. End result is to build this gun for my kids to potentially shoot in years to come and the arca rail could play a major role in that(alongside the can).

0ff5ebc3df330c59a118314e09d68c1f.jpg

Your build is pretty similar to what I’ve got going on. Rebel Sheep Port action, nitride coated, Hawkins Hunter Flush DBM, Bartlein Carbon barrel, Bix N Andy trigger, TBAC Ultra 7, Talley 1 pice mounts, Huskemaw 3-12. Finishes right at 8 lbs as pictured.

OP
pjww805

pjww805

FNG
I'd let barrel blank or prefit availability determine that (mostly). The other consideration is whether your smith is just "solid" or if he's well known for building tack drivers. Be a shame to put all that effort/$ into a new build and be let down by accuracy issues. I think if you could get a prefit in short order, that's the way I'd roll.
stockys just had an end of the year sale and I was able to acquire the barrel blank in a 20". Our local gunsmith is highly recommended or i wouldn't even consider going down this path. I scoured the net looking for a prefit but everything seems to be 24"-26". Prefit was my preferred choice as i wanted to be able to say i put it together(outside of bedding) but needing to get the ball rolling before next season ive decided to not only put it in the smiths hands but get it done relatively quick so i can get comfortable with the rifle before next years season

OP
pjww805

pjww805

FNG
0ff5ebc3df330c59a118314e09d68c1f.jpg

Your build is pretty similar to what I’ve got going on. Rebel Sheep Port action, nitride coated, Hawkins Hunter Flush DBM, Bartlein Carbon barrel, Bix N Andy trigger, TBAC Ultra 7, Talley 1 pice mounts, Huskemaw 3-12. Finishes right at 8 lbs as pictured.

Beautiful. how do you like the can? Also what camo is this on PH? custom?

Beautiful. how do you like the can? Also what camo is this on PH? custom?

Can is awesome. Spendy, but I figured if I was gonna do it, I’d buy once cry once. Paint is Manners Elite GAP camo, it’s a standard option for the Elite Hunter/Pro Hunter line. I’ve got a stock with GAP and Swamp. I like both a lot.
afb7e0e51d6cfb86777ab8a98a3d237f.jpg

ab7fdfd7a1db8d9bcc9c0cd1115473d6.jpg

Ignore the multiple spartan adapters on the PH haha. I was messing with where I like the adapter.

Last edited:
stockys just had an end of the year sale and I was able to acquire the barrel blank in a 20". Our local gunsmith is highly recommended or i wouldn't even consider going down this path. I scoured the net looking for a prefit but everything seems to be 24"-26". Prefit was my preferred choice as i wanted to be able to say i put it together(outside of bedding) but needing to get the ball rolling before next season ive decided to not only put it in the smiths hands but get it done relatively quick so i can get comfortable with the rifle before next years season
That sounds like a great plan!