Building points for my son

I'm new to the forum and plan on helping out where i can but being from sw ontario my hunting is limited to waterfowl whitetails and turkeys so my knowledge with other big game such as elk is limited. I just recently welcomed my first son to the world and I'm already looking forward to getting him out hunting. I was hoping to pick your brains about buying points for him. I was wondering where you guys would start building points for someone like this if it is even possible. I think it would be a really special and cool hunt to be able to gift him someday so just wondering what your dream state would be for a once in a lifetime hunt like this.

I’m not aware of anywhere you can anymore, but could be wrong. You used to be able to in MT, but they changed it very recently.
I would take the money and invest it for him. I’m afraid by the time our young children are of age, it’ll all be pay to play or lottery level odds. I hope I’m wrong.

bsnedeker

WKR
With any luck points systems will collapse upon themselves and not exist by the time your son can hunt.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Tmac

WKR
If memory serves, WY age 11, MT age 12 and OR age 9. Those are the only states I think I know... NM used to have great youth hunts and no points needed. It takes a little time, but it’s fairly easy to dig out by state. If I were wanting to gift a one time hunt of a lifetime, I’d start a savings account now, then decide in about 10 years about the point game.

Trap

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not aware of anywhere you can anymore, but could be wrong. You used to be able to in MT, but they changed it very recently.
I would take the money and invest it for him. I’m afraid by the time our young children are of age, it’ll all be pay to play or lottery level odds. I hope I’m wrong.
Already to the point you can justify just buying a tag or going guided to get the tag. Another vote for Investing the money.

Trap

Lil-Rokslider
Washington state -youth gets in state price and can build points immediately unless there’s been a recent change. Can hunt at any age provided they pass hunter safety. I took my boy over when he was 8 till he turned 12 and could hunt Idaho. Not a premium hunting state but they have some great draw hunts.no matter how many points he gets sheep and goat will be long odds but they have some excellent sheep and goat hunts. They are probably worst state for management of predators next to California. Who knows what it looks like in 10 years. Excellent bear and coyote hunting. If someone wanted to call in or try spot and stalk for cougar it would be my first choice. Lion is tough without dogs but they have a pile of them. Upside to piss poor management is excellent predator hunting 😂

By the time he is ready to hunt the Western hunt points game is going to be upside down especially for Non residents. Id say just start saving money and do a guided father son hunt when he’s of age. My 2 cents take it for what its worth.

Rknight

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t trust how much states change everything with the points system that I have no idea what will happen when my girls are old enough. What I did was invest a chunk that is designated to be used for fun and bought them both lifetime hunting and fishing licenses for their first birthdays. At the rates they’re going up it’s a good buy here in Texas

I figure the investment will at least be able to pay for some good guided hunts when they get old enough or fishing in the Caribbean

IsThisHeaven

Lil-Rokslider
Save the money for a landowner tag. Saving up a few points maybe, but as many as you would be is not worth the risk in my opinion. The obvious trends in Western states is to change the rules and significantly increase costs for nonresident points and tags. There are great hunts in Canada where you wouldn’t have to mess with crossing the border as well, but maybe hire a guide.

cnelk

WKR
Let’s say an average time of 10 years before you’ll be able to get him PPs somewhere in the West US.

Let’s say (for sake of discussion) PPs are still a thing at that time.

I suspect youth will still get preference so in many cases, PPs won’t do much good until he becomes an adult.

So now you’re talking 18 years (if you forego youth tags) that would mean in 18 years he’d have 8 PPs or less in some states.

Definitely, definitely invest the monies in something other than PPs.

PS - Do not listen to the YouTube influencers/cowboys

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
Being a fellow Canadian Im not sure I would look at building points in the states.
This is simply my opinion so take it for what its worth, but I see non USA residents being the next to get cut from drawing tags in the US.
More and more states seem to be going the route of "Residents First" and I dont disagree with that.
There isnt very many places Americans can draw tags in Canada, so why would Americans worry about ensuring Canadians can draw tags stateside.
Tag applications and drawing strategies is a big business south of the border. I can think of half a dozen companies that make a ton of cash doing this, and they advertise it like any other business. So like mentioned above, dont listen to all the Instgram/Youtube/Facebook warriors out there.
I dont partake in the draws/point building in the states, I use outfitters with OTC tags and landowner tags for any hunts I have done or plan to do down there. So I am not sure how much money needs to be invested to draw some of their tags?
But I can absolutely tell you if you invest the money you would have put into draw applications for your son and yourself starting now, you will be able to take him on some great hunts when he is of age.

OP
O
Thanks for the input everyone, I never thought about putting some money aside with the intentions of a landowner/guided hunt. I guess this way he would be able to pick the game/location aswell. I appreciate the help as the points and out of province game is something new to me here.

To the OP, you could always build points for yourself and then when you draw the tag, transfer the tag to your son (where legal to do so).

DanimalW

WKR
There aren’t any western states you can buy points for kids before they’re of hunting age. I buy bear points for my kids in Wisconsin ($10/yr) so they’ll be able to hunt a premier zone once their 12 years old. You should have decent opportunities for bear and moose hunting in Ontario right? If you’re primarily thinking elk, I’d probably stash away $2-300/yr invested in something (rather than points), and then when they’re ready to hunt, start applying for New Mexico lottery in the outfitter pool. Just a thought.

LostArra

WKR
Always remember that points have zero intrinsic value except to the state's GF dept. They cannot be sold, traded or transferred. They are a number on a website. The rules for points in tag draws will be changed as the system continues to implode. Any conservative investment with the same money is a much smarter route for hunting or fishing opportunities in the future.

Edit to add: My suggestion is based on a decade's worth of points that were never used but I caught a random tag (1.8% chance) so they disappeared.

Last edited: