Bull:cow ratios...how do you use?

Idaboy

WKR
Wondering how people interpret the bull:cow ratios when researching a unit? Obviously the higher the ratio the more bulls, but is that always mean bigger elk etc.

Is there a particular cutoff or number guys use? Would you ever not go, or target a unit based on this number alone?

Alder_

Lil-Rokslider
If there’s data for OTC units it would help me refine which ones I would target.
A low population level, with a low bull:cow ratio likely means you’re working harder to get into bulls as there’s just fewer of them on the landscape.
I personally would look away from single digit bull:cow ratio areas unless I had intimate knowledge of the area.

CMF

WKR
More bulls mean more action and more vocal elk if bowhunting in Sept and Oct. And the opposite holds true for less bulls. This has been my experience
This has been my experience as well.
Is there a particular cutoff or number guys use? Would you ever not go, or target a unit based on this number alone?
No. I give it some weight when making a decision.

I think you'll generally find that the higher m:f numbers are strongly correlated to trophy units, which are also correlated with hard-to-draw units. They are areas that are sometimes managed to have bigger bulls or are areas known for trophy bulls and most guys aren't slinging arrows at small bulls just to bring home some meat, just some of us, lol.