Bulldozer Bullet for 300 WSM?

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Am looking a loading some Badlands Precision Bulldozer 2's for my 300 WSM. Am still very new to this but have had good results from the below loads.

ADG brass
RL 23 powder,65 grains
Fed 215 Primers
200 grain ELD-X .025" off the lands
+/- 2,785 FPS

Am I foolish if I simply swap the 200 gr ELD-X for a 200 grain Bulldozer 2, at least as a starting point? Would have to remeasure to make sure and check OAL's and all that stuff but that's easy. Badlands has some intel on their site but it speaks in generalities. The ELD-x's have worked great on deer but have a hunt down the road where I have a chance of running into grizz and like the idea of a copper bullet. Again, this is a learn as I go thing for me so be gentle if this thought process is idiotic.

Last edited:

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
I have some 175gr Bulldozer 2 to load up for my WSM (20" barrel). As of now, I'm planning to start with Barnes 175 LRX H4350 load data, conservatively starting 1 gr below minimum. The bulldozer is a little longer in the tip, so I need to figure out if it will need to be seated a little beyond a COAL of 2.860 to achieve the same seating depth as the LRX.

My thinking is that using load data for a known mono bullet of the same weight, seated at the same depth should result similar starting pressures near minimum load, and I can work up to pressure. This assumes similar bearing surface friction and resulting pressure build-up; the Badlands have a large, smooth concave groove and the LRX have two typical pressure-relief bands, so there may be a pressure difference.

madcalfe

WKR
You're over thinking it lol I wouldn't change your bullet based on chances of running into a grizz.
I shoot 178gr ELDX in my 300wsm and I sheep/goat hunt every year here in Northern BC.

mtbraun

FNG
I can't answer your specific question, but when trying to work up a load for my 300WM a couple years ago, I got tired of waiting for the TTSX to get in stock. Ordered some 195 gr. Bulldozers and used the recommended TTSX load. They are a fantastic bullet with great performance and an unmatched BC. I think you will really like them.

I'm now building a 338 Lapua and will be working up a load with the 250 gr. Bulldozer.

OP
R

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
You're over thinking it lol I wouldn't change your bullet based on chances of running into a grizz.
I shoot 178gr ELDX in my 300wsm and I sheep/goat hunt every year here in Northern BC.
Not going to argue with your assessment. That said, it's the middle of February in WI with no snow, no ice, not enough deer have dropped their antlers, and very few projects to keep my mind occupied. Gonna dig into the Barnes intel and see if I can maybe make it work without losing any fingers :(

Clayt

FNG
I looked into using the heavy BBD but my 10 twist would not stabilize them. The lighter ones that work in a 10 twist didn't give any better downrange performance over the 200 eldx