Overthinking Bullet construction on Elk

roymunson

WKR
Been reloading my 300 WSM and I can get a number of rounds within 1.5 MOA, however the most accurate has been the 178 ELD-X. Those were well under 1 MOA.

You can read anything online and some people will crap on it, but in terms of accuracy they go like this:

TIER 1 (under 1 MOA)
178 ELD-X

Tier 2 (1-1.5 MOA)
Partition 165s
Sierra 165 Gamechanger
Barnes TTSX 180 (This is what worked for my moose)

If the ELD-X are marginally better, is that the bullet to go with? I see some negative things online about their terminal performance. Or should I play with the Tier 2 bullets to try to get down around that 1 MOA range.
Odds are I'm 500-600 yards and in.

I know I'm over thinking it, but I don't know how well some of you guys are getting your hunting bullets to shoot.

We use the eldx in 7mm Rem Mags and 7mm-08s. Great accuracy, fantastic performance. I load the 178 for my brother’s 30-06 but he hasn’t killed anything with it yet.

P

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
You might give Nosler AB 180 a try, my 300 loved them and worked great on game

IDHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
There was a study done, which I don't know where to find right off hand, that shows that the difference in a hit at long range between a .5 MOA and 1 MOA gun is only a few percentage points. It doesn't look like you're even that far apart between tier 1 and tier 2. I doubt you'd notice a difference at long range. I'd go for the better constructed bullet if that's what you have more confidence in. Say hi to Big Ern for me.

t_carlson

WKR
I think it really depends on your hunt.

In more timbered or broken terrain, or in country that is notoriously windy, you may not have many chances to take a longer shot. I'd rather have a bullet that will give guaranteed penetration for a quartering shot in those circumstances.

OTOH, you might have several opportunities at a distance where the higher BC and better accuracy will be useful.

I would decide based on probabilities instead of your maximum potential shot distance, if that makes sense.

OP
roymunson

roymunson

WKR
There was a study done, which I don't know where to find right off hand, that shows that the difference in a hit at long range between a .5 MOA and 1 MOA gun is only a few percentage points. It doesn't look like you're even that far apart between tier 1 and tier 2. I doubt you'd notice a difference at long range. I'd go for the better constructed bullet if that's what you have more confidence in. Say hi to Big Ern for me.
I love when people Get the reference.

I tend to agree but don’t know if I’m settling when I shouldn’t be.

I’m he partitions or copper would be my preference for a bullet, but didn’t know if I’m settling too soon.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
If you haven’t tried it yet, I’d consider the 200gr ELD-X or 208gr ELD-M. Both are easy to find, easy to load, have a higher BC than the 178gr, and are proven rounds on anything in NA.

I’ve taken ~20 animals with the 200gr and 11 with the 208gr in the last three years, no issues.

Be wary of internet stooges crying wolf that “bang-flop” is the expected standard and any bullet that doesn’t exit or cause instantaneous death is questionable.

Matt5266

WKR
My 300 WSM loves 185 grain Berger Classic Hunters. It's a Winchester model 70 with a 1:10 twist. It shoots 1 ragged hole at 100. Never had any issues with that round. I've also killed a pile with eldx.

Taudisio

WKR
I’ve taken a handful of elk with the 143 eldx.
I no longer use that setup for my own reasons. Never had any issues with the bullet.

That being said, I just helped a buddy with loading the 190gr speer impacts in his wsm. It is shooting very well. They are bonded. I made him shoot one into water gallon jugs at 150yards to see what they do. Went through 5 of them and we found it in the dirt after bouncing off number 6. I was satisfied they will work.

Attachments

• IMG_3053.jpeg
    IMG_3053.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3054.jpeg
    IMG_3054.jpeg
    259.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3055.jpeg
    IMG_3055.jpeg
    242.7 KB · Views: 45
Been reloading my 300 WSM and I can get a number of rounds within 1.5 MOA, however the most accurate has been the 178 ELD-X. Those were well under 1 MOA.

You can read anything online and some people will crap on it, but in terms of accuracy they go like this:

TIER 1 (under 1 MOA)
178 ELD-X

Tier 2 (1-1.5 MOA)
Partition 165s
Sierra 165 Gamechanger

If the ELD-X are marginally better, is that the bullet to go with? I see some negative things online about their terminal performance. Or should I play with the Tier 2 bullets to try to get down around that 1 MOA range.

I know I'm over thinking it, but I don't know how well some of you guys are getting your hunting bullets to shoot.
Ok, how many round groups are you talking?

Wrench

WKR
Given the max range you're planning on, the bc disadvantage of the partition will more than make up for it in on game performance, mag box durability and availability.

Lot's of guys want the slickest high bc bullet made.....but then never take advantage of where they shine, in the 600+ ranges.

OP
roymunson

roymunson

WKR
Ok, how many round groups are you talking?
5 shot groups, and admittedly, I struggle with letting the barrel cool down like I should.
I know I'm over thinking things, my buddy is going with us and wants to kill one with a 130 gr copper out of his 270. If that gets it done, I'm sure my 178s will too.

Article 4

WKR

TIER 1 (under 1 MOA)
178 ELD-X

Tier 2 (1-1.5 MOA)
Partition 165s
Sierra 165 Gamechanger

My experience with 175 ELDX on elk - with sub 1/2 MOA accuracy. Slightly above me and quartering away at 385 yards. Mzl Velocity in 7mm was 3129 and was able to dig these two out of the off shoulder having penetrated all the way through both lungs and the very top of the heart.
65-70% weight retention...elk walked 30 yards and piled up

Attachments

• IMG_2930.jpeg
    IMG_2930.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 39

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I would look at the ELD-Ms the Berger 200x20 or the 185 Juggernaut. I’ve seen all of them knock down elk. The 185 Juggernaut is nasty out of a 300 WSM.

The guy I sold my short barreled 300 WSM to last year. Shot this bull at 642 yards with the 200x20.

caf4cfdaa262e9ac132e74893d00e175.jpg

e2128a8b214862f1d21f00b64ec43832.jpg

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
That being said, I just helped a buddy with loading the 190gr speer impacts in his wsm. It is shooting very well.
190 Impacts also shoot well out of my Tikka WSM with H4835SC and have a great BC (according to Speer). My latest 5-round group was one big hole (still finalizing my loading procedures). Your friend's test and other reports I have read indicate that the expansion and weight retention looks to be as good as it gets for a bonded bullet from 0-500+ yds. I have some 172gr that I may also try in the WSM.