Bullet choice for 280 AI Accubond 160g vs. Hammer Hunter 143g

SloppyJ

WKR
My 280ai loves 160gr Accubonds and I have no reason to tell it that it can't have them. I've loaded up some 140gr TTSX that I have yet to shoot but with the Accubonds touching holes, I'm going to be hard pressed to use anything different than that in the field.

I've never taken an animal with a mono bullet. Never even considered them. Decided to see what the hype is all about but the more I read, the people that seem to like them don't have the option to use a lead bullet. From what I read, they aren't going to open up as much as their lead counterparts. I greatly prefer exit wounds and think that a bonded lead core bullet is the best option for me. However, I really want to find a load with the Barnes stuff that shoots good so I can compare this season.

OP
BlackGreyhounds
Thanks everyone. Originally, I was only able to find 150 gr ELDX and got them shooting 0.5 MOA, so that's my fall back. More recently, I've been able to procure some 160 AB and 143 HH bullets. I'll let you know how those work with my gun.

Attachments

• PXL_20221217_192534884.jpg
    PXL_20221217_192534884.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 22

rootacres

WKR
The Accubonds are proven. can't go wrong there.

That said, I've ran the 143 Hammers in my 7 SAUM. Should be similar performance to your 280. They were a very accurate bullet for me. I made my longest shot in the field using them on a coues (425yds).

I still ended up moving back to 168 VLDs. They buck the wind well and have laid down every elk Ive shot at with ease.

2five7

WKR
I'd be leery using any Nosler bullet right now, simply because of how hard they've been to find the last few years. Hammers will always be available.

I switch from 180 Bergers in my 28 Nosler last year, to the 143 Hammer just for that reason. No regrets, they kill just as well, and are just as accurate. Having the 3500 fps MV, and flat trajectory from 0-350 yards has been nice also. No dialing until around 400 yards.

Mtndawger

FNG
I’ve got a semi custom Tikka T3x chambered in 280AI. I am limited to shooting magazine length max 3.33 oal with this rifle. Last year I was shooting the 145lrx and had good performance on deer and elk to 150 yards. This year I started reloading those Peterson cases with 143 Hammer Hunter and RL16 to 3.30 oal. It takes up a good amount of case capacity at this oal but I’m calculating about 3025fps with a 22” barrel with this load. I’m happy with that. My results are more than satisfactory. One cow elk @ 210yards across a creek drainage slightly quartering away. One shot staggered and fell over, rolling down the mountainside and that was it for her. A couple weeks later, a buck Muley had the bad fortune to take a second look at me from about 50 yards uphill and quartering too. Bullet entered low left crease between neck and shoulder, traveled upward and exiting under the spine behind the right shoulder. That buck went stiff at the shot and then just fell over dead. I mean never even wiggled. A brief autopsy showed his heart was just completely jello. From what I can see they perform like a Berger (less the BC) but don’t leave your meat full of lead. So if you shoot less than 400-450 yards I can’t imagine a better bullet. Also wanted to add that normally aheart shot animal runs. Not with this bullet.

SloppyJ

WKR
I’ve got a semi custom Tikka T3x chambered in 280AI. I am limited to shooting magazine length max 3.33 oal with this rifle. Last year I was shooting the 145lrx and had good performance on deer and elk to 150 yards. This year I started reloading those Peterson cases with 143 Hammer Hunter and RL16 to 3.30 oal. It takes up a good amount of case capacity at this oal but I’m calculating about 3025fps with a 22” barrel with this load. I’m happy with that. My results are more than satisfactory. One cow elk @ 210yards across a creek drainage slightly quartering away. One shot staggered and fell over, rolling down the mountainside and that was it for her. A couple weeks later, a buck Muley had the bad fortune to take a second look at me from about 50 yards uphill and quartering too. Bullet entered low left crease between neck and shoulder, traveled upward and exiting under the spine behind the right shoulder. That buck went stiff at the shot and then just fell over dead. I mean never even wiggled. A brief autopsy showed his heart was just completely jello. From what I can see they perform like a Berger (less the BC) but don’t leave your meat full of lead. So if you shoot less than 400-450 yards I can’t imagine a better bullet. Also wanted to add that normally aheart shot animal runs. Not with this bullet.
Thanks for sharing. I've loaded the remainder of my partitions for this year and they're about damn near impossible to find. Might swap to these. I have a 22" barrel as well and would like to be around 3000fps.

My 280ai loves 160gr Accubonds and I have no reason to tell it that it can't have them. I've loaded up some 140gr TTSX that I have yet to shoot but with the Accubonds touching holes, I'm going to be hard pressed to use anything different than that in the field.

I've never taken an animal with a mono bullet. Never even considered them. Decided to see what the hype is all about but the more I read, the people that seem to like them don't have the option to use a lead bullet. From what I read, they aren't going to open up as much as their lead counterparts. I greatly prefer exit wounds and think that a bonded lead core bullet is the best option for me. However, I really want to find a load with the Barnes stuff that shoots good so I can compare this season.
For what it’s worth I recently shot a mule deer at 135 yards and a pronghorn at 260 yards out of my 280ai with with 140gr TTSX and they were both one shot kills. I was using 56.4 grains of hunter powder with fed 215m primer.

SloppyJ

WKR
For what it’s worth I recently shot a mule deer at 135 yards and a pronghorn at 260 yards out of my 280ai with with 140gr TTSX and they were both one shot kills. I was using 56.4 grains of hunter powder with fed 215m primer.
Ever tried the 120s? I was eyeing those last night. All I've heard is that the more velocity you can have with the TTSXs the better. Only target would be deer sized game and under with that load.

Ever tried the 120s? I was eyeing those last night. All I've heard is that the more velocity you can have with the TTSXs the better. Only target would be deer sized game and under with that load.
I have not. I am going to the give the 139 LRX’s a try next. Copper bullets do require speed to keep from penciling through a deer.

Take a look at Badlands Bulldozer II’s. Pictured below is a recovered 150gr bulldozer II from my elk this year. 540 yards and 2260 impact velocity from a 7 SAUM.

Very pleased with performance. I used 143 Hammers before and had disappointing results and the BCs were terrible, way lower than advertised.
IMG_1398.jpeg