Burn 2 Wyoming Antelope Points or Save Them?

go_deep

WKR
You and everyone else are planning on and hoping to do about the exact same thing.

Deano0686

Lil-Rokslider
Yea. That’s kinda what I figured. I’ll probably just buy points again. I’m not in a huge hurry. I’d really like to be able to draw in Montana general and draw a Wyoming tag in the same year anyway and and I only have 5 points in montana so I probably got another year or so.

j_volt

WKR
I doubt there is much point decline in the special draw, but I do think that the random odds in the special will increase. Personally, sending a flyer on a 5% random chance feels less fun now.

Deano0686

Lil-Rokslider
I doubt there is much point decline in the special draw, but I do think that the random odds in the special will increase. Personally, sending a flyer on a 5% random chance feels less fun now.
Yea, I really don’t want to pay 1200 to go hunt an animal that I’m gonna get 20 some pounds of meat off of, but at the same time I’m about a good experience too and if it took 1200 but I knew I was gonna have a good hunt I might do it. I’ll probably sit out and see what the odds look like in 2024 and go from there

Question about the price increase for the special. Would you guys say (if a guy was willing to pony up the insane price for the special) this would be a good time to do it? I’m assuming some of these units in the special will take a couple less points than they normally would due to people not wanting to pay that much and the talk of big winter kill. Maybe even more than a couple? Or is my thinking off. I’ve never hunted antelope but I have 4 points. Was thinking this might be my chance to get in a quality unit that may have taken 6 or 7 points last year perhaps?
It’s possible. With all the changes that are coming into affect this year, if you feel comfortable spotting the funds and paying that much for a tag, might not be a bab strategy.

Save them, or go special this year for a amazing unit. Because of the special price this year I think you can draw a awsome unit with low points. Its just gonna take some cash.

Deano0686

Lil-Rokslider
Save them, or go special this year for an amazing unit. Because of the special price this year I think you can draw a awsome unit with low points. Its just gonna take some cash.
That was my thought. May shoot for the stars and see what happens.

go_deep

WKR
Might draw a random, but everyone is going to be shocked when the draw results come out and it ain't much different.

Someone told me the other day $1,000 is the new $100. $1,000 license, nobody cares, YOLO as the kids say...

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
Never discount peoples willingness to part with dollars for a game tag.
See the Idaho elk thread with guys spending $ and time on flying in from out of state just to try and buy a tag in person for elk and mule deer.

FLS

WKR
Pick a unit that you would like to hunt and apply for a doe tag while accumulating points needed. If you get the doe tag use that opportunity to learn the unit. If you can afford it, apply for a buck tag and a doe tag and hope you get a random buck tag.

I try to add speed goat hunts as often as it fits into my schedule. I am burning 2 this fall. I may be a dork, but I think any adult buck is a fun hunt. I don't get too excited about monster antelope.

Kurts86

WKR
Save them, or go special this year for an amazing unit. Because of the special price this year I think you can draw a awsome unit with low points. Its just gonna take some cash.
The special draw has never been worth more than 1-2 points if you look over the last decade and lots of mid range pronghorn hunts have been 4+ PP units in the last decade.

The historically good units pronghorn (red desert) are absolutely wiped out of antelope after last years winter kill so I’m not even sure what part of the state would really be desirable besides lots of public land. Odds will go up for the 25% random draw but not much beyond that.

2024 Special will likely be a way into an Eastern Wyoming pronghorn tag on 0-2 points. The guys with lots of PP’s will probably pay the premium because they are already a decade of points in so the margin will always be less there.

Wyoming pronghorn are currently in such bad shape right now a 1 year blip on the point creep hill climb is NOT going to fix anything.

7LRM

Lil-Rokslider
Due to bad winter killing 2023, I Will wait . I have 4 points now, but I will wait.

tracker12

WKR
Find a unit you think you can draw and put in. Never pass up an opportunity to hunt. Take it from a guy that waited 21 years to draw a CO Unit 2 archery tag and another 21 years for a premium buck tag. Point creep is only going to get worse. In 2 years an area that takes 4 today will take 6 or more in two years. I have friends that draw antelope tags is an WY area that has little public land every other year and they alway are able to get cheap or no fee access. You can also hunt the checker board areas. You also have to check previous draw results. At times the Special does not really give u that much better odds.