Utah antelope 2024

I have 4 antelope points I’m planning to burn this year. This will be my first time hunting antelope. I live in southern Utah and I want to hunt archery. I’ve been looking at units in the southern part of the state. The closest unit to me is the San Juan hatch point but unfortunately it doesn’t have any archery tags. My 8 year old son will probably go with me so I’m planning to set up a blind on water. Looking for any feedback. Please share some experiences good or bad hunting archery antelope in Utah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bkimble

FNG
Just out of curiosity is antelope good eating? Does it resemble whitetail? My family eats whitetail year around if I’m able to get at least 3 in the freezer….. wanting to plan some trips out west and my main goal is to bring back plenty of meat not necessarily horns although that would be sweet… I’ve looked into cow elk a little bit and mule deer a little bit which seems tougher to get a tag for than elk in most places.. but antelope never really crossed my mind but if it’s good eating I may look into that also

OP
cody21peterson
I checked on gohunt and I have 41% chance to draw the San Juan but I should be guaranteed an archery tag in most units. Anyone hunted the la sal for antelope?

wmr89

Lil-Rokslider
Can I ask how gohunt predicts those odds for 2024? Or is that 2023 odds?
It is just the odds from 2023. You can't really predict what people will do for the next year before it happens and tag numbers have not been determined yet either.

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
Just out of curiosity is antelope good eating? Does it resemble whitetail? My family eats whitetail year around if I’m able to get at least 3 in the freezer….. wanting to plan some trips out west and my main goal is to bring back plenty of meat not necessarily horns although that would be sweet… I’ve looked into cow elk a little bit and mule deer a little bit which seems tougher to get a tag for than elk in most places.. but antelope never really crossed my mind but if it’s good eating I may look into that also

Our family prefers it over almost anything. Very light and tender. Many say the same thing. Even people like Randy Newberg say that. Just skin it quickly. Get it in the cooler asap.

The Utah archery pronghorn hunts are quite fun. I had success last year but it definitely didn’t come easy. I didn’t have the San Juan hunt but it was close- ish to there. Due to my impatience I elected spot and stalk. In hind site and future hunts I will elect to sit a blind as well. It took me 8 days of hunting and more carbon flung at them than I would care to admit. A cool it towel and a cooler with ice water is something I highly recommend. I used one of the portable fans from ryobi while I was glassing ant that also helped. Bring a thermacell the bugs around those cattle ponds are often worse than Alaska. Good luck in the draws!

I had a blast archery antelope hunting book cliffs south last year, i dont know much about the southern units other than swd and i would not recommend that unit for antelope hunting. I Killed a great buck, find the holes in the fence that lead to and from the private pivot fields, nearest water, or honestly just road hunt. Make several stalks until one works out

bwhit175

FNG
I've archery hunted up in northern Utah. Lots of private but also no people to hunt against. Season really doesn't go very far into the rut, but the back half of the season was able to have some success with decoying.