Burris FF 3-9x40mm Drop Eval Q&A

TxLite

WKR
Actually pretty impressed with the results on this one. Any reason to suspect a newer model FF would perform similarly?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Actually pretty impressed with the results on this one. Any reason to suspect a newer model FF would perform similarly?

I couldn’t say at all. I have heard the Philippine made ones are decent, but I haven’t used enough to say whether they are similar.

Also, I’ll redo it with NF rings. I fully expect that large shift won’t be there.

qotsa23

FNG
Thanks for posting, Form. I've always wondered how the FF would do in the drop test. Would Warne Mountain Techs be a good solution for 1" tubed scope as well?

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
Curious If the scope had shifted outside of the orange circle, but maintained a similar size group as the base? For instance, starting the 10 shot group was 1.5" after the first drop it then shifted right 2", but then held a 1.5" group for all drops/shot afterwards. I have an older scope that did exactly that with the drop test. I have some results I will post once I get through a few more test.

What would be your thoughts on that scope "passing".

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thanks for posting, Form. I've always wondered how the FF would do in the drop test. Would Warne Mountain Techs be a good solution for 1" tubed scope as well?

Warne Mountain Techs are good rings from all I have seen.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Curious If the scope had shifted outside of the orange circle, but maintained a similar size group as the base? For instance, starting the 10 shot group was 1.5" after the first drop it then shifted right 2", but then held a 1.5" group for all drops/shot afterwards. I have an older scope that did exactly that with the drop test. I have some results I will post once I get through a few more test.

What would be your thoughts on that scope "passing".

That’s not a pass, but that sounds like a mounting system of rifle shift- not a scope. If the scope was shifting zero due to impact, it won’t hold one spot with each drop- it will shift from different drops.

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
I also would like to know if newer Burris hold up, seeing as your old Leupold passed but new models did not. Perhaps they just don't make things like they used to...?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I also would like to know if newer Burris hold up, seeing as your old Leupold passed but new models did not. Perhaps they just don't make things like they used to...?

No Leupold would pass except the fixed power Mark 4’s. They don’t make that scope anymore, has nothing to do with loosing quality with newer scopes.

just to further derail the thread - how different is the mollinator from the pint sized gamechanger?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
just to further derail the thread - how different is the mollinator from the pint sized gamechanger?

All variations of a theme. Of course eight is a huge difference- the Molinator is very light. The Gamechangers are great bags. The Molinator is a bit different- where the GC is more of a V cut-
IMG_6939.jpeg

The Molinator is a U cut, or V with a flat bottom-
IMG_6938.jpeg

This helps with light bags for shooting angles, panning, and especially when used on a pack like this-

IMG_6940.jpeg

The two tubes that run along the bottom of the Molinator also add some stability and versatility to the bag, whether right side up or upside down resting on an object-

IMG_6941.jpeg