Bushnell elite 4200 2.5-10x40 illuminated ?

mobertok

FNG
Hi everyone, I'm hoping I can get some help with the above mentioned scope. Do you think this scope would still be relative in todays world? Just curious if it would be anything close to a leupold vx-3 or vx-3hd.
Thank you.

SwiftShot

WKR
I have a 40 year old Bushnell on a 22 Hornet. Still works great. I use expensive Binos and Spotting Scopes to admire the animals. Dont need great glass to shoot them.

Kurts86

WKR
They are fine if you don’t dial or need a ton of drop resistance. They have good glass for the money but they are pretty outdated.

I sold mine 2 years ago after more than a decade of good service because I don’t think they are relevant if you expect to dial and mine didn’t have any sort of a BDC reticle. I once dropped my rifle on mine from waist height and the zero shifted 12 moa.

The VX3-HD is definitely a better more modern scope because of CDS system and the available reticles. Reliability and tracking are probably similar between both.

OP
mobertok

mobertok

FNG
My main deal is clarity and sharpness. I don't need to dial as I have never shot a deer over 300yrds. If at 400 I'll just put a little air between his back and crosshairs. Farther, I probabaly won't shoot. Heck with extreme long range, I'm a hunter.

Kurts86

WKR
Have you had issues with scope glass quality limiting your ability to make a shot?

If someone is putting an emphasis on image resolution for a rifle scope they either are using really low end scopes or aren’t very aware of what makes a higher end scope. Image resolution is about #3 or #4 on things I’m concerned with on a scope. A scope is an aiming device and not an an observational device.

If image resolution is your focus and you want a duplex/capped reticle scope I’d suggest the Swarovski Z series line because they have the best optics though they lack some mechanical robustness.

It honestly sounds like you aren’t asking much from your rifle scopes and will probably be fine with a Bushnell 4200.

I did manage to kill an antelope at 450 yards with a Bushnell Elite 4200 so they are certainly capable optics. I just went towards exposed elevation turrets and 30mm scope tubes and I outgrew the optic. I honestly prefer a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 to the Bushnell Elite 4200 if you are talking about $300 2.5-10x scopes.

When I sold my Bushnell 4200 in 2021 I got 75% of what I paid for it in 11 years earlier so there is definitely some demand for them. Probably from guys deer hunting the eastern half of the US. The are very much 15 year old scope technology at this point.

I have a 4x12 on my .308 that has gotten fuzzy around the edges. I find it a bit distracting if I’m just looking through it, but that hasn’t cost me a deer yet. The thing used to sit on a 7mm Magnum; held zero then, still does now.
But I wouldn’t seek one out if I am in the market.

I'm pretty sure those 4200s were made by Bausch and Lomb back in the day.
I would trust those B&L scopes over a Leupy any day.

I'm pretty sure those 4200s were made by Bausch and Lomb back in the day.
I would trust those B&L scopes over a Leupy any day.

Funny you mention this, because about 16 years ago I heard a sales rep at Gander Mountain say the same thing.
I felt skeptical, because he then proceeded to pronounce Bushnell as “Bosch-nahl” to make it sound fancy. 🤣