Bushnell Engage 10x42 review

I posted this on another forum but thought I'd share it here in case anyone was considering these.

For some background, I'm a confessed binocular junkie. They might be my favorite tools of all, so I am always eager to test new models and see how they compare to what I have, and what I have seen in the past.

My initial impression - after about 2 hours of side-by-side testing (on a tripod) and field observations is that these are an outstanding value - well worth the asking price. The optical quality is on par with binoculars I've used that cost 2-3X as much. The view:dollar ratio might be the highest I've ever seen, aside from perhaps the now-legendary Sightron Blue Sky 8x32's (which I also own).

Pro's:

Resolving power is exceptional. I can see minute detail that is hard to make out with most other binoculars in this price range.

Contrast is fantastic. Reminds me of Zeiss Conquests.

Depth of field is superb.

Build quality is excellent. These look like they can take a beating over time.

Diopter adjustment is excellent. I was intially concerned about this, but it has proven to be a very smart design that does not interfere with regular operation at all.

Eyecups are metal, comfortable in size and shape, and click smoothly into position.

Focus wheel concerned me at first (overtravel) but after some initial use it is just fine. I'm sure with use it will get even better.

These DO have a tripod socket with a easy to remove/replace threaded cap. They were a natural fit on my tripod adapter.

The size is very compact, and fit my hands extremely well. I don't think I'd want a pair of 10x42's to be any smaller, but I also wouldn't want them any larger.

Con's:

Not many.

Field of view is slightly narrow, but only compared to my current bins which have an exceptionally wide, immersive FOV. However for this to happen they also have enormous eyecups that are not comfortable for me to use (hence the search that led to the Engage bin's).

There are some internal reflections when my eyes are not positioned correctly, but this goes away when I readjust my eye relief.

Eye relief is good, but might be a little short for eyeglass wearers. My old bins have exceptional eye relief, and will become my wife's birding binoculars for that reason - she wears glasses.

All in all, I would put these on my "Best Buy" list so far. The view strikes me as very similar to my old Nikon LX-L 10x42's, but with a slightly narrower FOV. That's pretty high praise considering I sold a pair of Swaro's when I got my LX-L's.

So far, this is the only pair of Chinese-made binoculars I've tested that I will keep. That includes Zen-Ray's (3 models), other Bushells (2 models), Vortex (3 models), Leupolds (2 models) and the Zeiss Terra ED's.

I will report back after a few weeks in the mountains with them.

Well done Bushnell.

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Glad you looped back...

I had a chance to use those Bushnell Engage bin's out west, during my most recent elk hunt. I had them on a tripod, side by side with my trusty old Cabelas Outfitter HD's (same as the Opticron Imagic - a very good binocular if you can find it on the used market). While the Bushnells had a little better resolution and contrast, the alignment between the barrels was just enough off that when I pulled my head up to look around after glassing for a while, my eyes took a little while to adjust. It wasn't noticable until I glassed on a tripod for a good period of time. I did this test at least 3 times from my tripod and window mount, and each time it resulted in the same "adjustment" period of 3-4 seconds before my eyes went back to normal.

I think I'm particularly sensitive to collimation issues and I can pick out binoculars that are out of alignment when most other folks think they are "fine." Not sure why, but it does affect me.

So, I spent most of my hunt glassing with my old Outfitter HD's, which didn't really bother me at all since they are perfectly aligned and had a slightly wider FOV. I had really high hopes for the Engage based on the image quality, but I returned them once I got home and exchanged them for a pair of Alpen Teton HD's. The Alpen's are perfectly aligned and I can look through them for long periods of time with zero issues. They will become my backups and loaners and tree stand bins since they are so small and light.

I still think if you get a well aligned pair of Engage binoculars, they are one of the best I've seen under $300. The image quality and ergonomics are really, really good for their price range.

Swampr42

FNG
I too was very surprised at the quality and clarity of the Engage binoculars. I never intended to purchase these or an Engage scope but my kid needed a new rifle scope and Bushnell had a promotion going at the time good for a pair of 10x42 Engage binoculars if you purchased one of the select Engage 30mm rifle scopes. Now that was a deal I couldn't pass up. I bought the 6-24x50 model scope for $450, sent in my rebate and 5 weeks later my free $300 pair of binos showed up. I used these binoculars for most of the 2018 hunting season as they are lighter than my 12x50 Burris binos. I do have to say the scope is very clear too and the tracking seems to be as good as some of the higher end scopes. I wish it had a zero stop though so my kid doesn't go past zero..lol

I had a chance to use those Bushnell Engage bin's out west, during my most recent elk hunt. I had them on a tripod, side by side with my trusty old Cabelas Outfitter HD's (same as the Opticron Imagic - a very good binocular if you can find it on the used market). While the Bushnells had a little better resolution and contrast, the alignment between the barrels was just enough off that when I pulled my head up to look around after glassing for a while, my eyes took a little while to adjust. It wasn't noticable until I glassed on a tripod for a good period of time. I did this test at least 3 times from my tripod and window mount, and each time it resulted in the same "adjustment" period of 3-4 seconds before my eyes went back to normal.

I think I'm particularly sensitive to collimation issues and I can pick out binoculars that are out of alignment when most other folks think they are "fine." Not sure why, but it does affect me.

So, I spent most of my hunt glassing with my old Outfitter HD's, which didn't really bother me at all since they are perfectly aligned and had a slightly wider FOV. I had really high hopes for the Engage based on the image quality, but I returned them once I got home and exchanged them for a pair of Alpen Teton HD's. The Alpen's are perfectly aligned and I can look through them for long periods of time with zero issues. They will become my backups and loaners and tree stand bins since they are so small and light.

I still think if you get a well aligned pair of Engage binoculars, they are one of the best I've seen under $300. The image quality and ergonomics are really, really good for their price range.

Thank you for your field review. Your report of alignment issues is concerning, and I hope the one I receive manages to avoid it. I am not familiar with how to test for collimation issues, so I searched and found a page that recommends viewing an object with distinct horizontal and vertical lines, such as a house or building, 100+ yards away and then alternate closing an eye at a time to see if the image is mismatched.

I just purchased a pair of Bushnell Engage 8x42 for $150 after tax because of Amazon's current aggressive pricing at $208.40, with an additional 5% coupon, and Bushnell's $70 rebate. I plan to use these for general purpose hiking and outdoors. You're not the first post I've seen report negatively on Bushnell's quality control, but I thought at that low price it's worth risking it and hoping to get a good binocular unit.

- - - Updated - - -

I do have a question about tripods (which I intend to use to test collimation) - do binoculars fit on generic tripods meant for cameras, or do I need a binocular-specific tripod product? I own an AmazonBasics camera tripod and wonder if the screw is compatible with binoculars.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Thank you for your field review. Your report of alignment issues is concerning, and I hope the one I receive manages to avoid it. I am not familiar with how to test for collimation issues, so I searched and found a page that recommends viewing an object with distinct horizontal and vertical lines, such as a house or building, 100+ yards away and then alternate closing an eye at a time to see if the image is mismatched.

I just purchased a pair of Bushnell Engage 8x42 for $150 after tax because of Amazon's current aggressive pricing at $208.40, with an additional 5% coupon, and Bushnell's $70 rebate. I plan to use these for general purpose hiking and outdoors. You're not the first post I've seen report negatively on Bushnell's quality control, but I thought at that low price it's worth risking it and hoping to get a good binocular unit.

- - - Updated - - -

I do have a question about tripods (which I intend to use to test collimation) - do binoculars fit on generic tripods meant for cameras, or do I need a binocular-specific tripod product? I own an AmazonBasics camera tripod and wonder if the screw is compatible with binoculars.

All you need is a regular tripod (with a head) and a binocular adapter. The adapter I use is sold by Celestron and cost about $15 shipped.

- - - Updated - - -

For that price, it's worth a shot. You can always return them if they are misaligned, and if not, they are a stupid good deal IMO.

I came across this Field & Stream 2017 top ten binocular list that made note of Bushnell Engage's value proposition, putting them at #4 behind models costing quite a bit more:

How does a $350 binocular finish a whisker behind three models averaging more than three times the cost? Simple. Value counts in our scoring system, and there is no better value in 2017 than the Bushnell Engage. Yes, the overall image quality is a step down from the other top models, but its resolution score rivaled the Nikon’s. One of the smallest and lightest models in the test, the Engage feels great in the hand. Aside from a bit of backlash in the focus wheel, the construction and mechanics are solid and smooth. Low-light performance was a little lacking, but in keeping with Bushnell’s reputation for toughness, the Engage hardly missed a beat in our brutal weather test. Bottom line: It’s a good, tough optic you can count on in any weather, for a fraction of the price.

1. Nikon Monarch HG - $1,000
  2. Leica Noctivid - $2,470
  3. Steiner ShadowQuest - $739
  4. Bushnell Engage - $140 on Amazon after rebate
  5. GPO Passion HD - $1,000
  6. Tract Tekoa - $464
  7. Maven C.1 - $350
  8. Burris Signature HD - $380
  9. Vortex Fury HD - $1,200
  10. Leupold BX-5 Santiam HD - $1,400

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
If Bushnell could ever get their focus wheels right, I'd buy a lot more of their binoculars. The build quality, ergonomics and now the glass is as good as it gets under $500