Buying my first used boat today...

JiminAZ

FNG
My bet is you did just fine.

I have a 2005 Yamaha F150, which has a lot of design features in common with the F115.

(all this is precluded if either the former owner had records of doing these things, or you are just taking it to a mechanic).

I would change the oil in the lower unit (and check for water in the oil). While changing the oil I would also do a pressure test on the lower unit (this checks the seals for input, output, and shifter shafts. I'd also pull the lower unit and have a look at the water pump (honestly I'd just put an all new water pump in). Go back together with new seal washers on the lower unit oil plugs.

There will be some sort of filter on the fuel supply line, as well as the little last chance filter on the motor. Replace both.

If they've never been replaced, I'd pull the VST and change all the little screens and filters in there.

And change the oil and filter on the engine.

On Ebay you can buy a little computer with Yamaha YDS software pre installed and a connector for the YDS for under $150.

SIM Yamaha is my goto source for parts and consumables.

If you want to know more about how the fuel injection system works and what can go wrong with it, PM me and I'll send you a link to where I wrote it up.

JiminAZ

FNG
Once you do all this stuff, you can just run it and do 100 hour maintenance when due. They really are great motors.

Oh yeah, run ethanol free fuel if you can. If not that's OK. I used to poo poo Stabil but now I'm a believer. Buy the marine variety treat rate is 1 oz per 10 gal and it's really cheap to do. Especially if the boat is going to sit for awhile.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Once you do all this stuff, you can just run it and do 100 hour maintenance when due. They really are great motors.

Oh yeah, run ethanol free fuel if you can. If not that's OK. I used to poo poo Stabil but now I'm a believer. Buy the marine variety treat rate is 1 oz per 10 gal and it's really cheap to do. Especially if the boat is going to sit for awhile.
Stabil is great, Ive found that the key to making boat engines last really comes from proper storage in the off season. If you can shut off the gas, run it until the fuel lines and everything are empty, spray the inside of the cowling with WD40, make sure you have stabil in your fuel lines and keep it gassed up to the absolute brim so there is as little room as possible for condensation to form. Tarp it if you can. Same works for snow machines except I spray the WD 40 over the carb and a few other places.

I have never owned a boat but someone once told me the best two days of a boat owners life are the day he buys his boat and the day he sells it. 😂

isu22andy

WKR
My bet is you did just fine.

I have a 2005 Yamaha F150, which has a lot of design features in common with the F115.

(all this is precluded if either the former owner had records of doing these things, or you are just taking it to a mechanic).

I would change the oil in the lower unit (and check for water in the oil). While changing the oil I would also do a pressure test on the lower unit (this checks the seals for input, output, and shifter shafts. I'd also pull the lower unit and have a look at the water pump (honestly I'd just put an all new water pump in). Go back together with new seal washers on the lower unit oil plugs.

There will be some sort of filter on the fuel supply line, as well as the little last chance filter on the motor. Replace both.

If they've never been replaced, I'd pull the VST and change all the little screens and filters in there.

And change the oil and filter on the engine.

On Ebay you can buy a little computer with Yamaha YDS software pre installed and a connector for the YDS for under $150.

SIM Yamaha is my goto source for parts and consumables.

If you want to know more about how the fuel injection system works and what can go wrong with it, PM me and I'll send you a link to where I wrote it up.

Jim , You replace your harmonic balancer in your F150 ? I did this year. Something to watch out for . 115s dont have it so your good there !

OP
tp308

tp308

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats! Which lake(s) in Missouri will you run it on?
Truman, Lake of the Ozarks, Table Rock, Mark Twain, Stockton…

These are all scheduled tournament lakes in Missouri… none of which I know much about, huge learning curve for us this year!

packer58

WKR
Congrats on the boat purchase, you guys will have a blast........Tackle Warehouse will become your new best friend...........

wapitibob

WKR
congrats. My wife bought me a 17' smokercraft several years ago and it's been one heck of a fun time. You and your extended family will love it.

Truman, Lake of the Ozarks, Table Rock, Mark Twain, Stockton…

These are all scheduled tournament lakes in Missouri… none of which I know much about, huge learning curve for us this year!
You need any pointers, let me know. I grew up fishing those lakes and still make a couple trips to Truman and Table Rock each year. Truman might be the best fishing lake in Missouri

OP
tp308

tp308

Lil-Rokslider
Thnx guys… Wealth of knowledge represented here, maybe Rokslide needs a fishing forum!

isu22andy

WKR
Sure did. It was chirping when I got it. Only 59 hours on the motor at the time.

Same here with 160s hours on it . I was worried sick about it . VST filters and injectors plugged on me too but other than that it’s been a runner for me. Occasionally get a hot start issue you ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JiminAZ

FNG
Absolutely had the hot start problem.

Read about my odyssey here. Post #10 is where I share what I learned. I learned a lot about the Yamaha Fuel Injection system. Things were not quite what I had assumed at first.

OP
tp308

tp308

Lil-Rokslider
Good morning, just thought I'd give a little update on an cold and icy day here in Missouri... Seems like we got ourselves a great little starter boat here. After concerns that this Yamaha motor might have thousands of hrs, a tune up and diagnostic (lucky to have a G3 Marina within 30 minutes of my house) revealed it had 372 hrs on the motor. Mechanic said the motor's in excellent shape and we got a "peach of a boat" for a decent price amidst this crazy used boat market... Looking fwd to some warmer days and fishing some tournaments with my son this summer. Pic of my son and I picking the boat up... 9 degrees that night, lol!

IMG-4647.jpg