Buying second hand on classifieds

Looking at turning over and upgrading my whole optic system soon. I’m pretty amazed at how much money one could save by buying second hand on classifieds section, is there any advice you guys would give if you have gone down that road already?
I’m a bit worried about transferring warranties over to a new owner, any brands to avoid?
How do you guys transfer the warranties over?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
I've had good luck a couple of times and each time I registered them for the warranty. (Swarovski and Meopta)

OP
J
I've had good luck a couple of times and each time I registered them for the warranty. (Swarovski and Meopta)

Awesome to hear, did they ask you for original proof of purchase or did you just say you bought second hand?

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
They ask the date of purchase and of course serial number. They might have asked for proof of purchase, But I registered them without it.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just ask questions, get pictures, make contact by cell phone, buy from a reputable seller on the forum.

I have bought and sold a bunch without issues.

tt280AI

FNG
I'd hope someone with a solid post count wouldn't be a gamble. The opposite of my post count 😆

Jmhunt_13

FNG
Looking at turning over and upgrading my whole optic system soon. I’m pretty amazed at how much money one could save by buying second hand on classifieds section, is there any advice you guys would give if you have gone down that road already?
I’m a bit worried about transferring warranties over to a new owner, any brands to avoid?
How do you guys transfer the warranties over?
Thanks

Glad you asked. I've been wondering the same thing. Thanks

OP
J
I'd hope someone with a solid post count wouldn't be a gamble. The opposite of my post count 😆
Haha same here! I have been a long-time lurker on Rokslide, finally getting out of college where I can afford some good glass. 150$ binoculars just ain't cutting it

Get lots of photos, and especially insist on getting photos of the lenses at different angles in how the light shines on it - you don't want to discover there are a couple of tiny dings or swirl marks on the glass from moronic cleaning after money's already exchanged hands. It happened to a guy I hunt with on some Swaros, and he was SOL. The marks were tiny and didn't noticeably impact the image, but 30% off retail price didn't make up for the feeling he had of being screwed. The more valuable the optic, the less an honest seller will push back on getting extra photos to you. And the more expensive, the more I'd suggest going through PayPal or some other route where you can get your money back.

With what I saw, it actually turned me off enough to simply not be willing to buy alpha glass second hand. Just not worth the risk of something being wrong internally or externally, and not having recourse.

sram9102

WKR
Buy from members that have years of interactions here. I bought a swaro spotter this week from a member I have dealt with before. Sent the money friends and family without a thought.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Sunkmanitou

Lil-Rokslider
Some manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty no matter how old the scope is or if you are the first purchaser or not. Burris have this on some of their scopes. I have used their warranty on Black diamond and Euro diamond scopes. I believe Vortex too, but I am not sure.

leachguy

FNG
I've bought and sold on here a few times in the past few years and I have yet to have a negative experience.
If you're unsure, ask questions, ask for pictures, feel out the seller. Scammers usually have a red flag pop up somewhere.
I always send goods and services or some way that I can get my money back if it's my first interaction with someone.
Don't be afraid to move on from an item if it doesn't feel right. There will always be another good deal.

sdupontjr

WKR
Bought several optics on this site as well as another site. Also bought my T3 Lite and CTR, both in 308, here on the site. Also got scammed once on a barrel from someones account that got hacked. Other than the barrel hacker, everything went flawless. Get lots of pics. I even when purchasing gave them my phone number so that the pics could be texted straight to me. When I liked the pics and we settle on a price, I'd call them. The reason I'd call them is to hear an English speaking voice and not someone in "Tech Support". Shoot the bull for a short second and they would usually laugh about it, but when you spend over $2200 on an optic and thousands more on optics, its good to be a little weary.

Now when I'm selling, I use Paypal FF. Whatever I'm selling I keep their money in PayPal until they receive the item and are totally satisified with it. Then I will transfer the funds to my account. I just recently pulled the rail off of my Tikka CTR to put it on a diet. Someone wanted to buy it. Had in all wrapped up and shipped it. When It arrived, the package had a big ass hole in it and no rail. So all I did was refund his money because I never took it out of PayPal. Then took up my insurance claim with the shipping company.

Louro

FNG
They ask the date of purchase and of course serial number. They might have asked for proof of purchase, But I registered them without it.
I did the same thing, I bought a pair of swarovski used binos. When I try to register they told me that the person that had them register had to drop the registration and then they will register in my name. I call the seller and he send a e-mail to waranty dept(?) and drop his name and I got them register on mine name.

PS

This happen many moons ago. Procedures might have change.

Haha same here! I have been a long-time lurker on Rokslide, finally getting out of college where I can afford some good glass. 150$ binoculars just ain't cutting it
Been looking at classifieds for a while.

I remember those days, I have plenty of money now and not enough time. Don’t wish to get old!

22lr

WKR
My best advice is to take the model your looking at, and google it. Pull up the manufactures website and get familiar with the stats/warranties they offer. Some like Vortex is a no questions asked, regardless of where/when purchased/receipt or not. I know alot of companies have very similar policies now. But it can also help you determine if your looking at a current gen or old gen model, and if that matters to you or not. Older gen should be cheaper, but you may find you want the newer gen features.

Also, for optics especially, don't be afraid to use PayPal goods and services. Its more than fair to ask the seller if they will cover the fee, or split the fee with you (its also fair if they say no, but ask), but it can be worth it if your not comfortable with the transaction. But, if your not comfortable with the transaction, don't make it in the first place. PayPal will take time to resolve an issue if there is one. An old school phone call is also a great way to get more comfortable/vet a seller.

I once sold a pair of Swarovski binos that evidently the buyer damaged. They sent it in for warranty and Swaro contacted me to make sure he was supposed to have them. Once confirmed, they told me they would transfer it into his name for anything in the future.

As far as buying on here, look at the sellers feedback. It's something I ask all buyers to do when I list something. I have yet to have any issue as a buyer or seller on Rokslide. Great community, but those bad apples slip in I'm sure.

My personal policy is to always ask to have them look at my feedback and then the buyer will have tracking information in the form of a photo of the label same day, even if it can't go out until the following Monday or whatever.

LongOdds

FNG
I've had no issues with firearms, knives, and accessories across several different forums/platforms.
Still haven't dipped my toe into optics yet. Looking for a new scope now, actually, and but I'm planning on going Vortex (if used) simply because of the warranty.

I've had no issues with firearms, knives, and accessories across several different forums/platforms.
Still haven't dipped my toe into optics yet. Looking for a new scope now, actually, and but I'm planning on going Vortex (if used) simply because of the warranty.
You’ll be grateful for the warranty. It will get used.

2-Stix

WKR
I bought a spotter fine. I got burned on a pair of binos. Fraud. Follow the from rules. Bottom line, dont do F&F in Paypal you have no repercussions.

Last edited: