buying suppressor online outside of silencer shop or silencer central

MThuntr

WKR
Considered me 100% ignorant of the process so be gentle. Let's say I'm offered a BOGO deal on 5.56 suppressors and think I want to give them a go.

What's the process for buying a suppressor from a company not associated with the big transfer companies like Silencer Central or Silencer Shop? What are the steps? Expected fees at transfer?

I have an SC trust. Can I use that as part of the purchase?

I purchased my KGM 30T from Bereli. Basically, you purhcase the suppressor from whomever and have it shipped to your FFL of choice. Note, the FFL has to be able to accept NFA items which is above and beyond what your average neighborhood FFL can do. I ran into this when I got mine, and had to call several FFLs in a 100 mile radius to locate one that could accept the suppressor.

Once your FFL receives the suppressor, you will need to pay the transfer and tax stamp. The standard transfer fee, in Iowa at least, for NFA items is $100, and the federal tax stamp is $200.

High level steps:
  1. Buy suppressor(s) from retail store
  2. The retailer ships the suppressor(s) to your FFL.
  3. Schedule an appointment with the FFL to inspect the suppressor(s) and to complete online paperwork.
  4. FFL assists you with creating an ATF account and filling out the paperwork online
  5. Once your application is approved, you can pick up the suppressor from the FFL
I followed the above process and submitted paperwork on 9/8 and mine is still in jail.

I've never ordered from Silencer Co., or Silencer Central, but this process was very straightforward and easy.

I purchased mine as an individual, so I can't help you with the trust question.

Axlrod

WKR
Check with the stores around you that have the Si. Co./ Si. Cent. kiosk's. The one I use lets you buy from where ever you want and have shipped to them. Then you use the Kiosk to complete the finger prints, photos, etc. They charge $125 for the processing.

Check with the stores around you that have the Si. Co./ Si. Cent. kiosk's. The one I use lets you buy from where ever you want and have shipped to them. Then you use the Kiosk to complete the finger prints, photos, etc. They charge $125 for the processing.
Is the $125 processing in addition to the NFA transfer fee and the tax stamp?

Axlrod

WKR
Is the $125 processing in addition to the NFA transfer fee and the tax stamp?
yes. It is a transfer fee. So if you buy a gun ona place like gunbroker they charge $25 to do a transfer. If you buy a suppressor it's $125 for the transfer and submitting everything on the Kiosk. The stores have to buy the Kiosk's @ $15,000 each.

OP
MThuntr

MThuntr

WKR
If you buy a suppressor it's $125 for the transfer and submitting everything on the Kiosk. The stores have to buy the Kiosk's @ $15,000 each.
This is news to me. I assumed that Silencer Shop members had the kiosk there and would get a piece of the sale or yeah a $15-25 transfer fee. The nearest kiosk is about 55 miles away.

Sevens

WKR
You don’t necessarily need a place that has a SS kiosk. Just need a place that knows how to do the NFA process and is licensed to accept your NFA item.

Had a local place do the whole process on my most recent purchase, I emailed them my trust, they did my fingerprints, filled out the forms, uploaded everything and then I certified. All said, about 30 min process start to finish and actually way easier than using an online shop like SS or CA. I bought the can from them, but if I transferred in, they charge a $100 transfer fee.

You don’t necessarily need a place that has a SS kiosk. Just need a place that knows how to do the NFA process and is licensed to accept your NFA item.

Had a local place do the whole process on my most recent purchase, I emailed them my trust, they did my fingerprints, filled out the forms, uploaded everything and then I certified. All said, about 30 min process start to finish and actually way easier than using an online shop like SS or CA. I bought the can from them, but if I transferred in, they charge a $100 transfer fee.
Exactly my experience and was cool to see a new gun shop with an indoor range. Face to face was great and their customer service was awesome.

OP
MThuntr

MThuntr

WKR

I guess I knew that but usually shop (dream) on Silencer Shop website and have only purchased through Silencer Central (345 days waiting currently thus having a trust drafted by SC). Coincidentally, the nearest NFA license holder is the same one that has a Silencer Shop kiosk. It seems he's "open" by appointment so I might have to corner someone else with some questions and curiosities.

wapitibob

WKR
This is news to me. I assumed that Silencer Shop members had the kiosk there and would get a piece of the sale or yeah a $15-25 transfer fee. The nearest kiosk is about 55 miles away.

$125 fee is because the can came from another seller. Just spent time at the local dealer that has a kiosk. Buy from the kiosk shop it's $25 iirc because the dealer makes his margin on the can sale.

fwafwow

WKR
I agree with what @jjohnsonElknewbie and a few others wrote. I have a few cans, but my prior cans were purchased in person. I just did this (ordered one online).

The only things I will add:
  • Between 1 and 2 the seller will have to complete an ATF form and get permission from the ATF to send the can to your LGS. (You don't have to do anything, but for me it added a week to the process).
  • If you have a trust (assuming it meets all of the requirements), it can be used for the purchase. (I just used mine.)
  • In order to do the online eForms, you will not only need an account with the ATF, but you need to give your access info (login, password and PIN) to the LGS or whoever is preparing and submitting the forms for you. If the LGS creates the account, you need to get that info from them - and then you may want to change your password (at some point).
  • FWIW my transfer fee was $80 and my LGS doesn't have a SS kiosk (or if they do, it wasn't used). I expect to pay some more when the can is transferred to me when the LGS (also my attorney) updates my trust.

I agree with what @jjohnsonElknewbie and a few others wrote. I have a few cans, but my prior cans were purchased in person. I just did this (ordered one online).

The only things I will add:
  • Between 1 and 2 the seller will have to complete an ATF form and get permission from the ATF to send the can to your LGS. (You don't have to do anything, but for me it added a week to the process).
  • If you have a trust (assuming it meets all of the requirements), it can be used for the purchase. (I just used mine.)
  • In order to do the online eForms, you will not only need an account with the ATF, but you need to give your access info (login, password and PIN) to the LGS or whoever is preparing and submitting the forms for you. If the LGS creates the account, you need to get that info from them - and then you may want to change your password (at some point).
  • FWIW my transfer fee was $80 and my LGS doesn't have a SS kiosk (or if they do, it wasn't used). I expect to pay some more when the can is transferred to me when the LGS (also my attorney) updates my trust.
Thank you for sharing, and your 3rd bullet is exactly what i had to do as well. I created the account and then provided my user and pass to the FFL for the rest.

For the first bullet, this happened behind the scenes and the seller (Bereli) never mentioned it. However, I assume this is why I had to provide FFL information to them.

I never mentioned the fingerprinting stuff, and that all happened during my face to face.