CA Sierra Deer hunting guide?

DavePwns

WKR
The CA opener is this weekend, I've got a AO tag and a D6 tag this year, I've done a month of scouting, glassing, getting off trail, at least 2 miles from roads, multiple elevations, found 26 does, not one legal buck. I'm not complaining, I just want to know if there are any Sierra mountain bow hunting guides that can help me out. Only guided hunts I can find, are coastal.

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know of any guides, but you might try giving Kennedy Meadow Pack station a call. They pack guys in and might point you in the right direction, as they've got a history of knowing where they pack guys into and who gets deer.

87TT

WKR
Early in the year, like now, the bucks will be way up high and away from the does in my experience. There may be a few down lower but they are almost always not with the does except yearlings now and then. Anyway, that's been my experience

OP
DavePwns

DavePwns

WKR
I don't know of any guides, but you might try giving Kennedy Meadow Pack station a call. They pack guys in and might point you in the right direction, as they've got a history of knowing where they pack guys into and who gets deer.
That's a good idea, I'll give them a call. I'm surprised there aren't any deer guides, I'm sure they could ask a hefty price since there is no known competition for guides in D6

If you're looking for any buck, stick to the does and you'll find a small buck hanging out with them. You don't need a guide, you've already found deer. Keep looking and don't quit. You've done the work, you found where they are, now pick those places apart and find antlers. You're close. Very close. Keep at it.

In D6 there are areas that produce every year. There are also areas (some seem great even in person) that do not hold deer. There are a few guys that will show you deer for $ on a couple of the FB pages. D6 is really hunted hard for its size. Your best bet is to spend a lot of time there. Not just hunting. Hang out with locals. Be cool, and you will find the guy that is willing to talk. Its a lot like the other D zones. They are easy to get to and most have roads all over them. So there are road hunters everywhere. If you found does, back off them 100 yards and just watch them. Get there early and stay late. The bucks are usually high up or in someone's back yard. They run separate from the does for most of the season. Sooner or later there will be a buck with them. Just watch and they will show you where he is. But getting in arrow close may be tricky. You can PM me and I may be able to help you depending on where you have been looking. I don't want to know where you found does, just what part of D6 you are looking in. I have been in D6 roughly 10 years. I am hunting 3-5 this year with no plan to go back to D6. So I am no threat. D6 gets tons of pressure not because it's a great zone, but because it's so easy to get to.

Last edited:
OP
DavePwns

DavePwns

WKR
If you're looking for any buck, stick to the does and you'll find a small buck hanging out with them. You don't need a guide, you've already found deer. Keep looking and don't quit. You've done the work, you found where they are, now pick those places apart and find antlers. You're close. Very close. Keep at it.
Do small bucks hang around does during the summering phase? I may need to upgrade to a swaro spotter, maybe I have seen some very small forked bucks without knowing it o_O

Year and a half old bucks can be with bachelor groups of bucks or often are with does. If I'm looking for any buck and find does, I keep searching near them. If you want a big buck and find does, I keep looking higher up the mountain. You don't need a swaro spotter, just get closer and use what you have. Gear doesn't kill deer, time and effort does. Keep at it...I'll see you out there his weekend.

OP
DavePwns

DavePwns

WKR
Year and a half old bucks can be with bachelor groups of bucks or often are with does. If I'm looking for any buck and find does, I keep searching near them. If you want a big buck and find does, I keep looking higher up the mountain. You don't need a swaro spotter, just get closer and use what you have. Gear doesn't kill deer, time and effort does. Keep at it...I'll see you out there his weekend.
Thanks for your advice, I stuck with it and eventually found a forkie trailing 3 does 100 yards away today (y)

OP
DavePwns

DavePwns

WKR
Nice! Did you get a shot?
I actually bedded him, got his exact location, was making the stalk very carefully w/ the wind in my favor late morning, half way through a hunter was hiking the drainage below the buck. The buck winded him and went bounding off along with a doe. It was a blast, even though it didn't pan out, I've come home with a smile on my face and satisfaction of watching/stalking a legal buck during season.