CA Mesa Titanium

I emailed back and forth with Christensen a couple times today and will say their customer service has been stellar regarding this whole issue. Prompt responses and a very satisfactory solution.

So, they realize some of these Mesa Ti's are coming in over weight. They gave me the option to basically do whatever I wanted for resolve. Refund, exchange for another one, exchange for something different etc. They are working with my dealer on the other end. (I didn't want my dealer to get stuck with the rifle either.) I am going to end up ordering a Ridgeline Ti to exchange for the Mesa Ti. The Mesa Ti will be returned to Christensen. I've heard some not so good things about their CS in the past. I have to say they handled my problem with professionalism, promptness and are providing a solution that can't be beat/couldn't be any better. Kudos to them. I'll report the weight of the new rifle when it arrives.

Great to hear they are taking good care of you. I look forward to hearing what you think about the Ridgeline TI.

Kotaman

WKR
I really didn’t want another carbon fiber barrel rifle as IMO, they definitely not as durable. But everyone has been great to work with so I thought I’d try the Ti Ridgeline. I really wanted the Mesa Ti to work as advertised As it is exactly what I was looking for.

Great to hear they are taking good care of you. I look forward to hearing what you think about the Ridgeline TI.

A little late to the party, but here’s what my factory 6.5cm Mesa weighed on my, I believe very accurate, scale.
21ad142f246eecb89d805682da0af248.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR
It’s crazy to me that in the cases I’ve seen, the regular Mesa weighs a few oz less than the Ti Mesa. Crazy...

Kotaman

WKR
That literally just doesnt make sense.

Has to be in the "finishes" of the barrel and stock. I'm not sure if/how the barrels are different, but the stock has to be the issue. As nice as the Mesa Ti's look and perform, I'm guessing the Mesa Ti project has been a nightmare for them.

jfs82

WKR
Has to be in the "finishes" of the barrel and stock. I'm not sure if/how the barrels are different, but the stock has to be the issue. As nice as the Mesa Ti's look and perform, I'm guessing the Mesa Ti project has been a nightmare for them.
For sure, but having that little prior knowledge to how short their major project is falling is inexcusable, and knowing and still taking people's money without saying anything is even worse.

Kotaman

WKR
For sure, but having that little prior knowledge to how short their major project is falling is inexcusable, and knowing and still taking people's money without saying anything is even worse.

I'm going to take a guess here: We are going to see a price reduction on the Mesa Ti's...I agree, none of these should have gone out the door. In fact, they should probably recall them or disclose and sell them out at a great price.

jfs82

WKR
I'm going to take a guess here: We are going to see a price reduction on the Mesa Ti's...I agree, none of these should have gone out the door. In fact, they should probably recall them or disclose and sell them out at a great price.
A firesale would prob be the one way I'd give them my business at this point. Then I;d likely be giving an aftermarket stock maker more business.

This thread had me wondering/questioning just how accurate my scale really was, so I zeroed out a Nalgene bottle on it, then filled it up with exactly 1 liter of water. It weighed 2.19 lbs. and when I turned it to kg. it showed 1.00 kg exactly.

That’s pretty decent customer service on their part. What I’d really love to know is the actual weights of each length action they use, both steel/stainless and Ti. That should tell the tale on really how much savings there is in the Ti action, as long as all other variables are kept the same (barrel profile/weight/length, stock weight, etc.). If they changed something like the barrel profile or length for the Mesas, that might explain the weight increase. I still would like to know...

A buddy of mine just started a 6.5-06 build and purchased a titanium action, and steel bolt, coated with their proprietary finish (for smoother cycling), and it came in at 19 oz. Anyway it just seems like a pretty LW action.

Kotaman

WKR
My saga continues to a degree. Like I said, between Christensen, the distributor and the dealer, they exchanged my overweight Mesa Ti for a Ti Ridgeline. Every ti Ridgeline I’ve seen has been actually coming in underweight. Mine came today and to my disappointment it weighs 6 lbs. 5 oz. 11 oz over the published weight of 5.8 lbs. So, now, I ordered a Proof Research Ultralight stock. This should save me 17-18 oz over the CA stock. That should bring the finished rifle weight down to around/under 7.5 lbs with the NF NX8.

As a side note I compared an on the shelf 6.5 CM Regular Mesa 20” to my original 6.5 PRC Mesa Ti 22”..The weight difference was 2 oz. I also comared my Mesa Ti 22” to a Regular Mesa 24” and the difference was 4 oz., most of which had to be the barrel length. These Ti offerings are NOT worth the premium pricing they get over the regular in either version.

tdhanses

WKR
My saga continues to a degree. Like I said, between Christensen, the distributor and the dealer, they exchanged my overweight Mesa Ti for a Ti Ridgeline. Every ti Ridgeline I’ve seen has been actually coming in underweight. Mine came today and to my disappointment it weighs 6 lbs. 5 oz. 11 oz over the published weight of 5.8 lbs. So, now, I ordered a Proof Research Ultralight stock. This should save me 17-18 oz over the CA stock. That should bring the finished rifle weight down to around/under 7.5 lbs with the NF NX8.

As a side note I compared an on the shelf 6.5 CM Regular Mesa 20” to my original 6.5 PRC Mesa Ti 22”..The weight difference was 2 oz. I also comared my Mesa Ti 22” to a Regular Mesa 24” and the difference was 4 oz., most of which had to be the barrel length. These Ti offerings are NOT worth the premium pricing they get over the regular in either version.

Sad thing is I bet many buy the ti version never knowing and are happy, we on the forum have to be a minority. Guess we’ll know if they sell and stay in the lineup more then a year or two.

ItemB

Lil-Rokslider
This is disappointing, I had a ridgeline ti on my wishlist. For the listed weight and price thought it would be a heck of a rifle for the price. Why would they let them out the door don't they do a check on them. I could see if it was just a few random guns here and there but sounds like it harder to find one that is close to the listed specs vs one that is heavier.

This is disappointing, I had a ridgeline ti on my wishlist. For the listed weight and price thought it would be a heck of a rifle for the price. Why would they let them out the door don't they do a check on them. I could see if it was just a few random guns here and there but sounds like it harder to find one that is close to the listed specs vs one that is heavier.

Yeah you’d think trying to push a premium product on its weight savings they’d at least check.

Like I mentioned before - I don’t think anyone is going to hold them to an exact number, a few ounces one way or the other is one thing due to differences in materials and whatnot... but a pound? That's way excessive.

Kotaman

WKR

Like I said, every RIDGELINE Ti I’ve seen or weighed has come in at or under spec. except for mine. I can’t say the same about the Mesa Ti. I wouldn’t be afraid of buying a Ridgeline Ti, but you are gaining so little over a regular Ridgeline, only you can say whether those few oz is worth it or not. I’m confident when I get the Proof stock installed, I’m going to have a great ultralight set up. But, it has come at a cost. If I had it to do over again, I would’ve bought the regular Mesa and found a ultra light stock to put it in. But then again by the time you do that you could get into a pretty nice custom.