Cabela's frame questions

Just wondering if anyone has added compression straps or an HPG harness to a Cabela's frame and how it worked out? Thinking of getting an Outfitter frame and some dry bags(and maybe adding an HPG Tarahumara), but the compression panel on the frame doesn't look the best.

colonel00

WKR
Which frame are you looking at? I have an older Extreme Alaskan Outfitter that I have been thinking about selling. I agree, a few more compression straps would really help with meat hauling.

I've added loop connector cam-lock style straps to most all of my pack frames for securing big moose quarters. Works superb and is quick to get a load anchored down with.

OP
quackaddict
Looking at the "mid level" frame. Not the regular Alaskan, but not the new Instinct or whatever it's called. It has an adjustable suspension.

Snow, you happen to have any pictures?

quackaddict,
This is a poor photo, but the best I have that shows some of the straps. Although this is on my Barney's frame, I've used the same strap setup on Cabela's and Camp Trails frames. I usually have 3 or 4 straps horizontally on the vertical stays and then 2 on the top bar and bottom rack. The tag ends of my straps were long in this photo and just wrapped anywhere to keep them from snagging. I was getting tired at this point and just happy to get out of the waders and get back to the boat. Hope that helps.

FinalLoad_zpsd1bfe173.jpg

Quackaddict, You might give the Hideaway Expedition Frame a look as well. Great hip & shoulder harness, welded lash hooks on side of frame tubes. The only thing I'm mixed on is the hinge for the shelf. The hinge adds weight, but sure is convenient. Not sure how much it adds but I mainly use it as a freight hauler and it carry's heavy loads well.
Not sure if you have Bi-Marts near you but it's the one they usually stock for ~$60 come hunting season.
The one I have has the bag as well.
Hunt'nFish

42046-DEFAULT-m.jpg

Lukem

WKR
I have an older Alaskan outfitter extreme that I've made some mods to. I added compression straps that used the existing load/meat sling buckles to give the pack the structure it dearly lacks.
upe8ubu7.jpg

jy8etesy.jpg

e3e6azu6.jpg

It has it's limitations, but it works well for me. The frame is a horse, and with my mods the weight for the frame and pack is under 7#. Ditch the lid and it's under 6.

tttoadman

WKR
I have the Alaskan 1 frame with the shelf on it. I have pondered taking the metal bar off of the shelf. I will then run a strap though the top of the shelf and put tie points midway up the frame. I think this will allow it to be used more like Kifaru grabit or a SG load shelf. In addition to cutting a little weight, it will get rid of the top heavy load caused by the fixed shelf. Just examine these high end packs, and you can usually scabricate lesser quality frames to perform better. Just some of the ways we entertain ourselves in the offseason.