Cabelas restricts pro staff social media use of African trophy photos - UPDATED!

Wapiti1

WKR
If you shoot Cabelas an email this is what you will get back:

Thank you for visiting cabelas.com. Bass Pro Shops and Cabela’s is steadfast in our support of hunting, which is a critical conservation tool for saving species in Africa and around the world. Our proud commitment is reflected through our decades of strong support for the conservation efforts of Dallas Safari Club and Safari Club International and throughout our stores, sponsored television shows, ambassadors and partnerships. Despite a recent misunderstanding causing some confusion on social media, we fully encourage our pro team members to share photos from their hunts and adventures around the world to help us promote legal and responsible hunting and a shared love of the outdoors.
Sincerely,
Sue R.
Customer Service

My take, for what it is worth, is that they support hunting anywhere and will continue to do so. I am pretty sure they know who pays their bills.

eamyrick, go to Africa to hunt. It is an incredible trip. I went to Namibia in 2014, and am setting up another trip for 2020 to Zimbabwe.

Jeremy

OP
eamyrick

eamyrick

WKR
Yeh from what I can gather they sent out an email regarding social media use of their pro staffers which addressed keeping pictures of dead animals tasteful but also lumped in a prohibition of safari photos. Seems like they got their act together after backlash from the hunting community and issued the email which I commend.

Africa is definetly on the list. I hope there are still some wild places there when the pocket book aligns with my dreams.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Is Cabela's even an entity anymore? My prediction.......it won't be long before Bass Pro starts closing up a bunch of the Cabela's stores.

neverquit

WKR
I was in a cabelas a few weeks ago for the first time in years. It’s hard to tell it’s even a hunting store.

slowelk

WKR
I was in a cabelas a few weeks ago for the first time in years. It’s hard to tell it’s even a hunting store.

Agree! It's more of an outdoor lifestyle store now. 70% of the floor is taken up by RedHead clothing and other branded casual wear. They don't carry anything more than the basic shooting supplies anymore. I am thankful Sportsman's Warehouse is also in my town, and hasn't gone this direction.

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
Jeanette Hall seems to be what we would call a liar....

Cabela's stated that "the E-mail" wasn't approved by Corporate. They didn't say the E-mail didn't exist or that Jeanette's interpretation of the E-mail was incorrect.

From their statements it sounds to me like someone at Cabela's indeed sent such an E-mail in an apparent misunderstanding.

Jeanette posted the alleged E-mail on her facebook:
Did Cabela's/Bass Pro Shops Ban Pro Staffer From Posting African Hunting Pics?

cmahoney

WKR
Are they picking up the Modern Huntsman since they have a pro staff spot open?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jspradley

WKR